How will be our redzone offense change under Harsin?

boisnumber1

Anyone one with football knowledge or Bobo/Harsin insight on this, what do you think will change? This was always a problem for Gus - score from outside the redzone or kick a FG seemed to be the case often. Without big TD plays we were doomed many games.

Under center seems like the biggest change.

2nd biggest change seems to be having plays designed that are above middle school level.

I've only got vague answers right now on how i hope it will be improved. But i'm hoping the use of TEs will be helpful in the redzone. Both from a pass catching perspective and from running 2 TE heavy sets. Gus used heavy sets but would bring in an extra OT which did nothing to keep the back end of the defense from crashing the play. I'm also hoping running from under center and having a more downhill running game will help. Fewer play calls where the running lane needs to develop instead of just having the RB hit the hole at full speed and if you only get 3 yards per play that is still enough to move the chains. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I've only got vague answers right now on how i hope it will be improved. But i'm hoping the use of TEs will be helpful in the redzone. Both from a pass catching perspective and from running 2 TE heavy sets. Gus used heavy sets but would bring in an extra OT which did nothing to keep the back end of the defense from crashing the play. I'm also hoping running from under center and having a more downhill running game will help. Fewer play calls where the running lane needs to develop instead of just having the RB hit the hole at full speed and if you only get 3 yards per play that is still enough to move the chains. 

Tight ends in the red zone will be the most visible change.  

A real passing tree plus real passing concepts meant for multiple possible targets instead of keying on 1 option and bailing after that.

Think about it- if you have 1 option in passing plays and it's not schematically sound or appropriate for the down, distance, placement on the field, defensive play call, etc- how well do you think that play will do?

Now imagine that the offensive line doesn't know what to do if a player bails, stunts, or shifts pre snap. Just blocking a play correctly and adjusting on the fly will do wonders for any offense.

I'm honestly amazed we did as well as we did for so many years- this will be totally new football for Auburn.

56 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

More ball control, using TEs and running game. Over the middle passing!

Agree. TE sit down routes work well for a QB. THey also will have passes to the RBs in the RZ too I am sure.

We don't have that 'throw it up high for Seth Williams' play anymore...

What I hope happens is no longer having to watch pandemonium strike the sideline coaching staff, wasting time getting the play in, coming to the line of scrimmage and not understanding the play, having a bunch of wasted motion. Then realizing the play clock is about to expire and calling timeout and allowing the opponent to rest and get a defensive call in after tipping our hand with a formation.

24 minutes ago, difball said:

What I hope happens is no longer having to watch pandemonium strike the sideline coaching staff, wasting time getting the play in, coming to the line of scrimmage and not understanding the play, having a bunch of wasted motion. Then realizing the play clock is about to expire and calling timeout and allowing the opponent to rest and get a defensive call in after tipping our hand with a formation.

Like Harsin or not, you cannot argue the man is not organized.  We will find out if his plan works, but the man has a plan he is sticking to.  I would be surprised if we ever see this kind of confusion on the sidelines next season.  

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We'll score TDs as opposed to FGs?

Probably the biggest problem with the Gus era was this. Had they scored TD’s more often than FG’s we may have had a couple more 10+ win seasons. 

I think the trio of Frazier, Fromm, and King will pay dividends in the red zone, especially Frazier. Go under center and get creative. Hopefully we still try to run the football down there some and force our way in with Tank. Maybe Sean Jackson will get some goal line touches. A lot of options, but I really don't see how it could be worse than it was under Gus. He was just terrible in the red zone

38 minutes ago, woodford said:

Probably the biggest problem with the Gus era was this. Had they scored TD’s more often than FG’s we may have had a couple more 10+ win seasons. 

2014 Iron Bowl.  grrrrr

1 hour ago, au302 said:

I think the trio of Frazier, Fromm, and King will pay dividends in the red zone, especially Frazier. Go under center and get creative. Hopefully we still try to run the football down there some and force our way in with Tank. Maybe Sean Jackson will get some goal line touches. A lot of options, but I really don't see how it could be worse than it was under Gus. He was just terrible in the red zone

I think you left out the blocking TE Deal. Last year he was our best blocker not just among TE's but I think across the whole O-Line.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think you left out the blocking TE Deal. Last year he was our best blocker not just among TE's but I think across the whole O-Line.

Yes, he's the real Deal 🙃

2 hours ago, woodford said:

What was so frustrating is he seemed to be content with it.

29 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

What was so frustrating is he seemed to be content with it.

He seemed content with being incompetent in many aspects of the offense 

5 hours ago, woodford said:

And Gus might still

have had a job 🤔

Gus has a job. This thread has me emmotionally re-living 2014. I'm not a coach BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD can we PLEASE have a red-zone approach predicated on destroying other teams and racking up sixes? 

11 hours ago, steeleagle said:

We don't have that 'throw it up high for Seth Williams' play anymore...

Or the sugar huddle. Or the statue of liberty. Or the 2-yard HB dive after every 1st down.

Archived