new JuCo transfer named NJCAA Defensive Player of 2020

aubiefifty

1. Auburn Football

Auburn’s new JuCo transfer named NJCAA Defensive Player of 2020

Updated Jun 17, 2021; Posted Jun 17, 2021
Derek Mason spring practice Auburn

Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason speaks to the defense during practice in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, March 20, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

shares

Auburn football’s newest addition to the 2021 roster brought high accolades with him.

Cornerback Roterius Torrence announced June 6 that he planned to return home to the state of Alabama and become an Auburn Tiger. Nine days later, the NJCAA named him the 2020-2021 Defensive Player of the Year for his season with the Blue Dragons.

As a sophomore, Torrence made 23 tackles, five pass break ups and one interception. The interception came at a crucial moment in the NJCAA Championship game, where the Blue Dragons won their first national title. Torrence also helped them complete their third undefeated season in program history.

Torrence is just the second player in Hutchinson history to earn this honor and the first since 2008. He was also on the NJCAA All-America First Team and won KJCCC Defensive Player of the Year.

Originally from Bessemer, Torrence was considered the No. 9 recruit from Alabama by 247Sports and the No. 3 junior college cornerback. He had offers from Tennessee, East Carolina, Utah State and Washington State and was planning to go to Tennessee before flipping to Auburn.

Auburn recently lost defensive backs Marco Domio and Kamal Hadden to the transfer portal. While they have standout cornerbacks Roger McCreary and Nehemiah Pritchett as well as Jaylin Simpson, who has shown potential, the depth has been hurt by the transfers. Torrence will play a part in increasing the depth in the secondary, especially as the starters graduate in the next year or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 tackles, 5 pass breakups, and 1 pick gets player of the year honors? Interesting. Must a been a helluva pick. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

23 tackles, 5 pass breakups, and 1 pick gets player of the year honors? Interesting. Must a been a helluva pick. 

I seem to recall reading an article on this guy back when he committed. It was one hell of a pick because it came in the championship game. Also i think it was an abbreviated JUCO season due to COVID so thats why stats look sparse. And finally the article suggested that he basically shut down 1 side of the field and in that championship game dominated the #1 JUCO WR. 

All that is off memory and none was fact checked so beware :)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

And finally the article suggested that he basically shut down 1 side of the field

Any time a football fan hears that a cornerback is good with limited stats, that fan should be able to guess pretty quickly that the dude probably didn't get thrown at much and therefore didn't have many opportunities for stats. Especially, as you also pointed out, after the 2020 season. And especially an Auburn fan after Steele put several CBs in the league with very few picks because of how he had them defend. 

43 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

There’s more to this guy’s game that don’t show up in stats.

28 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I seem to recall reading an article on this guy back when he committed

Yeah, article above is from July

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, article above is from July

Actually it's from June. But not sure why this article is being posted now from June, and even the writer is gone back to PA and no longer our beat writer...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Actually it's from June. But not sure why this article is being posted now from June, and even the writer is gone back to PA and no longer our beat writer...

Your answer is in the one who posted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, gravejd said:

I seem to recall reading an article on this guy back when he committed. It was one hell of a pick because it came in the championship game. Also i think it was an abbreviated JUCO season due to COVID so thats why stats look sparse. And finally the article suggested that he basically shut down 1 side of the field and in that championship game dominated the #1 JUCO WR. 

All that is off memory and none was fact checked so beware :)

Yes I know this, I would have put that in yellow font like we used to do on AE but I can’t figure out how to do it. I also found it ironic that the 8 games were played in Spring ‘21 but he’s the ‘20 POTY. Facepalm and downvote that too ya knuckleheads. :) #yellowfrickinfontforthesarcasticallyinclined

He ONLY allowed ONE player to catch ONE pass against him the entire season. 

Ro Torrence was smothering dudes, in public.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 2