gus and boise state

aubiefifty

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if some of these folks will be around when Gus drops his first bonehead loss to a team they should easily beat?

Gus could win 'em all or lose 'em all from here on out and I would care the same. Not one iota. 

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Heck of a comeback on both sides of the ball. Well played Gus, T-Will, UCF.

Defense grew up a little in that 2nd half.  Tightened it up. 

Big Kat finally looked like a force on the edge at times.  

Really great win by Gus and UCF. I was especially glad to see UCFs defense get going in the second half. I'm not too concerned about Gus but i would love to see twill do well there and get more DC positions down the road. I only watched the first half cause it got late so i did not get to see all the game. But from what i did see thank goodness we have something new to watch this season. I think Gus will do well at UCF but he hit is ceiling at AU. He was still out there with a lot of the same tendencies that we saw the last 5 years here. We were always going to be at best a middle of the road team when he was coach. 

But glad UCF is at least getting to enjoy the honey moon phase 😁

Yep, could still call out the plays with new personnel.  Thoughts during first half ...

I bet this is a dive up the middle for 2 yards after the big play (check)

Wrap around screen (check)

Another great QB begins his decline with Gus (check at first, but kid got his numbers later) 

The script is over after that first long drive and interception then several 3 and outs (check)

I'm not going to miss this offense (big check) 

A note about Boise, I know new coach now, but these guys played physical and muscles their way at times in first half.  Harsin still molded these guys playing today. 

Reading this thread from start to finish was FUN!

Hats off to Coach Malzahn for a big comeback on offense. It was worth staying up past midnight to watch this game unfold.

Special hats off to Coach T-Will for some marvelous defensive adjustments. The only score BSU got in the 2nd half was following an interception and long return, which gave them a short field. Pretty good for a guy somebody said "didn't understand the basics of defense" and "couldn't grasp play diagrams".

I was very, very unimpressed with Avalos. He seemed unengaged most of the game. At the end though, it really just came down to the fact that Gabriel is a player, and Bachmeier broke Boise’s back with an all timer of a panic play. He had the first down after beating BK to the corner, but he inexplicably threw a blind heave downfield (after crossing the LOS btw) on THIRD DOWN in four down territory. You can watch a lot of ball this year, but you’ll struggle to find a worse play by a QB given the situation. 

Good win for Gus. As always, his players play hard. I had to laugh when Gus said he was surprised by the size and skill of his OL… because he didn’t recruit them. Give it time on that front. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Special hats off to Coach T-Will for some marvelous defensive adjustments. The only score BSU got in the 2nd half was following an interception and long return, which gave them a short field. Pretty good for a guy somebody said "didn't understand the basics of defense" and "couldn't grasp play diagrams".

Yeah, I'm glad he will have a chance to change that narrative. T-Will is a good dude, and I'm glad Gus has given him this opportunity. They definitely came out during the second half looking like a different defense. Have to credit that to coaching. 

wow. who would have thought gus would have a game thread on the fam? i wonder if he has his special table ar wafffle house down there? lol best of luck to ya gus until we meet again and then i hope we hand kick off in that behind.

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Reading this thread from start to finish was FUN!

Hats off to Coach Malzahn for a big comeback on offense. It was worth staying up past midnight to watch this game unfold.

I skimmed this thread and it wasn’t fun at all. It is why I don’t frequent this place as much as I did in the past. Some miserable ***** for sure.

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

I skimmed this thread and it wasn’t fun at all. It is why I don’t frequent this place as much as I did in the past. Some miserable ***** for sure.

That's fully understandable.

Glad Gus won.  He is a good man who always did what he thought was best for Auburn and we never had to worry about NCAA violations.  He had achieved all he could at Auburn, and I wish him all the best at UCF.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yep, could still call out the plays with new personnel.  Thoughts during first half ...

I bet this is a dive up the middle for 2 yards after the big play (check)

Wrap around screen (check)

Another great QB begins his decline with Gus (check at first, but kid got his numbers later) 

The script is over after that first long drive and interception then several 3 and outs (check)

I'm not going to miss this offense (big check) 

A note about Boise, I know new coach now, but these guys played physical and muscles their way at times in first half.  Harsin still molded these guys playing today. 

That offense put up over 500 yards last night. 

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

Gabriel is a darn good QB that’s why someone mention him not being on Nick Marshall level didn’t make much sense. People are entitled to their opinion I guess.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

wow. who would have thought gus would have a game thread on the fam? i wonder if he has his special table ar wafffle house down there? lol best of luck to ya gus until we meet again and then i hope we hand kick off in that behind.

Malzahn was looking for something a bit different to eat after the game. He’s reviving his postgame victory tradition by finding a local Waffle House for a bite.

“Ham and cheese omelet — scattered, smothered, covered and chunked,” he said in a quiet moment before pausing dramatically and creasing a smile across his face. “Probably tonight, I’ll get a waffle, too.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/we-are-the-big-school-on-seminal-night-ucf-shows-glimpse-of-future-and-what-big-12-membership-could-bring-071227432.html

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

wow. who would have thought gus would have a game thread on the fam? i wonder if he has his special table ar wafffle house down there? lol best of luck to ya gus until we meet again and then i hope we hand kick off in that behind.e

Yeah, interesting to see the participation from all of those who haven't thought about him at all since he left and he's no longer Auburn's coach. (Psst- Some reading this might think I'm laughing with them. They might be wrong about that.)

Many have predicted that UCF will have a fine season. There's no reason they shouldn't. But anyone paying attention knows that 2021 won't be the season upon which to gauge Gus's success down there, and certainly not the one upon which to gauge Auburn's wisdom in going a different direction. 

As for this thread, it wasn't nearly as toxic as some pearl clutching I see would suggest. Especially not for a guy who's still getting paid quite handsomely for his mediocrity at Auburn. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, he'll get paid more Auburn money this season than Auburn's current head coach will. 

6 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Gabriel ends up with really good night.  Gus will win some games with that guy.  

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 5.52.25 AM.png

Dude has literally everything on the running side you could want with a DT QB. Now, he makes some of those regrettable “game breaker” type decisions that could, and did, go both ways. But he’s the quintessential early 2010s Gus guy, and hopefully he shows Gus that THIS is your type of QB

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Many have predicted that UCF will have a fine season. There's no reason they shouldn't. But anyone paying attention knows that 2021 won't be the season upon which to gauge Gus's success down there, and certainly not the one upon which to gauge Auburn's wisdom in going a different direction. 

You are correct sir.  Any judgements about Gus need to be reserved for 4 or 5 years when he will be playing with HIS players and HIS QB.  Everyone should remember 2013 and the roller coaster ride in succeeding years.  When he gets to the Big 12, not that he will see anything close to SEC defenses, he will still be playing against better competition than the AAC.

2 hours ago, shabby said:

They did. Gus is like a pitcher on his first trip through the order. He's going to look good this year. NFL prospect at QB. Veteran offensive line that he didn't recruit. UCF should have a lot of success on that side of the ball this year. It's those repeat trips through the order when a pitcher with limited stuff gets in trouble.

I like Gus. I think he does a lot right. I think getting away from the SEC pressure was a wise move for him, but I don't think anyone is going to relitigate his time at Auburn based on initial success at a G5 school. We've already had the first year fever. We know how the story turns out.

Archived