Pegues says he likes new role

aubiefifty

Pegues says he likes new role on Auburn's defensive front

ByMark Murphy
4-5 minutes

Auburn's First Full Pads Practice of Preseason Camp

AUBURN, Alabama–If J.J. Pegues is disappointed at no longer being a tight end he did a good job of concealing it following Thursday’s practice, the first in full pads for the Auburn Tigers as they wrapped up the opening week of preseason drills.

“I am loving the D-line right now,” the sophomore said. “I feel like I have a future in it. I have got a great coach, Coach (Nick) Eason who, is just buying into me. One day, hopefully, I can make it to the next level.”

Pegues made the move from offense to defense in spring drills when defensive tackle Jeremiah Wright suffered a knee injury that is expected to keep him on the sideline this season. The need for another large interior defensive lineman became even higher priority with returning starter Tyrone Truesdell no longer with the team.

The sophomore said that Eason told the remaining players they should take advantage of the former Tiger’s absence. “His message was just simple: 'One left, and there is another opportunity.' We all loved Tyrone, but I feel like we have a whole bunch of young people that are really going to step up for us and be big in a role.

“Even me, being new to the D-line, I feel like I can step up and take advantage of my opportunity, which was given,” he added.

Pegues used the word “shocking” to describe his reaction to finding out Harsin had moved him from tight end to the defensive line. However, Pegues also noted he suspected it was going to happen.

“How I prepare for it, each and every day I study, watch film. Just like I said, Coach Harsin, in practice, he puts (an emphasis on) fundamentals and techniques and that's a big part of D-linemen. You could be strong, but if your fundamentals and techniques aren't on point, then, like, it's nothing.”

Pegues, who is 6-3, 308 pounds, said he has high expectations for the defensive line as a whole. “I feel like we are great. I feel like we have maybe little things to work on, but technique and fundamental-wise, I feel like we are great, sound and ready to go.”

As the Tigers prepare for their September 4th home opener vs. Akron he said his teammates are helping him learn to be a defensive tackle. “Really, all of them have taught me,” the sophomore said. “I know the main ones are probably Colby Wooden and Tony Fair.” Pegues said those teammates have “been giving me tips, encouraging me and just bringing me in to watch film with them.”

Asked about the guys he used to practice with every day, the tight ends, Pegues said, “I always get encouragement from them,” he pointed out. “They are my boys from day one. I always mess with them, going into their meeting room sometime just to chill with them and everything, but they encourage me a lot.”

In addition to Pegues and Fair, a graduate transfer from UAB, the Tigers are expecting help inside at the noseguard spot from true freshman Lee Hunter, an early arrival who participated in spring drills.

10530060.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 J.J. Pegues (89) is shown in action at Thursday's practice. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Asked what he has seen from Hunter, Pegues said, “Just holding his point at the nose and just knowing what he has to do technique-wise and the things he does outside of football, the preparation and everything, we see it. I feel like him doing that really just opened him up.

4COMMENTS

Tony Fair, he is a big dude, but he is quick. I respect dudes like that just because of what people think of me. You know, I am a big guy, but they just think I am big, strong and slow, but Tony, he could really move. We have done a whole bunch of directional stuff and Tony could get there.”

Pegues and the Tigers are scheduled to have the first of two preseason scrimmages on Saturday evening. Beginning next week fall semester classes start and the coaching staff will be limited to 20 hours of practices, meetings and other team activities with their players.

2021 ITAT Auburn Football Guide

Archived