Nix says he feels a 'great difference from spring to fall' in new offense

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Nix says he feels a 'great difference from spring to fall' in new offense

ByJason Caldwell
4-5 minutes

Auburn QBs Throw to Wideouts in Camp

AUBURN, Alabama—For almost the entirety of his football playing life Auburn quarterback Bo Nix has taken the snap from center in the shotgun formation. That’s something that is done to be able to get the ball out of the quarterback’s hands more quickly while also giving him a chance to get an early look at the defense.

With Bryan Harsin and Mike Bobo coming in and installing an offense with more pro-style concepts mixed in, it has meant a steep learning curve for Nix and and other Auburn quarterbacks, who like Nix, have spent a lot of time in the shotgun.

Following a full spring practice and a summer to work on the little things involved with the new offense, Nix said he’s much more comfortable in the system as the Tigers really get into the meat of preseason camp heading towards Saturday’s first scrimmage.

"I can tell a great difference from spring to fall as far as how comfortable I am with it because I have been able to do it and had some reps,” Nix said. “I understand what the coaches are looking for. Now it's just muscle memory and it's doing the same thing over and over and over.

"Probably the biggest change is under center stuff so really locking in on those, and it's every play, it's locking in. We don't take any snap exchange for granted, and make sure I am concentrating on the snapper and the center and having a good exchange there. Then every footwork is detailed and really locked in, focused on every play, but having done it so far, having done it in spring and the summer, it's helped me a lot."

One of the biggest challenges for any quarterback making the move from a shotgun-based offense to one that goes under center more often comes with the footwork needed by the quarterback. When you are under center as a quarterback it puts a premium on footwork and fundamentals, something Nix said he is working hard to continue to improve.

"It's such a fine line between taking a bad step, missing a mesh point with the back or maybe putting the ball on the ground so that's why doing it over and over is important because I know my steps, I know how I'm going to get to snap,and then those running backs know our mesh point. They know how to get there, and we can get them the ball so that's been the biggest difference for sure."

With the first week of practice in the books, Auburn’s preseason camp will feature the first of two scrimmages on Saturday night. For Nix that means the first opportunity to show that he is still the guy for Auburn at quarterback while Grant Loy, Dematrius Davis and newcomer T.J. Finley try to impress the coaches. Nix said competition is all about making everyone better and everyone in the room knows they have to bring it every day and every rep with Coach Mike Bobo in charge.

"I think having Grant, TJ, Demetrius, all those guys, having a room full of talented guys, it's always important because you're just trying to make yourself better, and you're trying to improve each and every day,” Nix said. “No matter what day it is, all of us are trying our hardest to have the best day and to try to go out there and get as many reps as we can and to grow within those reps as we become better. I feel like as a group we have  all done a good job of challenging each other...competition brings out the best. In me specifically, I feel like I have always been at my best when I'm competing."

13COMMENTS

Thursday Practice Video

10530189.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Bo Nix makes a throw on Thursday with Offensive Coordinator Mike Bobo looking on in the first full pads practice of preseason. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Archived