Top 10 most hated teams of all-time

WFE12

It’s nothing wrong with being the most hated especially in this list m, where many of them are winners. The 2010 was hated because we had the most dominating guy on the field. If Cam was average and a story like that got out , nobody would care. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

“Not liked” and top 10 hated are two different things lol. A truly hated team is a a 2012 ND or any of the OSU teams after the sanctions (or any of the PSU teams after their sanctions). 
Again, I just don’t think most neutral viewers care about the majority of that team in a direct manner, so that’s what bewilders me. Penn State, USC, convict era Miami or catholic ND, that’s hate that transcended the sport. We shouldn’t be in the top 10 

This is your opinion from an insulated perspective.  As in, you mention 2012 ND.  Why should that team be hated?  It's all subjective, sure, but the majority of the country believes we bought that title and despises Cam Newton because of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is your opinion from an insulated perspective.  As in, you mention 2012 ND.  Why should that team be hated?  It's all subjective, sure, but the majority of the country believes we bought that title and despises Cam Newton because of it.

And, if ever a football team was defined almost* entirely by one player, it was that 2010 Auburn team. He was the 'majority' of that team, coaching staff included. 

It's super not complicated. We won the national championship because of one guy. People think we cheated to get that guy.

Nobody hated the rest of the team because nobody knows who else was on the team. That actually makes it worse.

*Again, I say 'almost' because the only other player from that team that anyone outside Auburn remembers is this guy.

Best Nick Fairley GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Because the majority of the country hates Notre Dame, that’s the most successful ND team in decades and Manti Te’o was a laughingstock (I like the guy) for years. You’re insulated if you couldn’t see that

ND is a bigger program than Auburn and has as long a legacy as being (different) as any program around, so maybe the coverage they got isn’t especially different than they’d get during other elite seasons. But that barometer should be higher than what Auburn would get. One guy being vilified is not going to equal the over-reaching disdain that entire programs have wrought. 

You haven’t concretely stated your stance on this, and it’s really my entire point, do you believe Cam Newton got enough hate for the entire 2010 team to be top 3 on a list like this? 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And, if ever a football team was defined almost* entirely by one player, it was that 2010 Auburn team. He was the 'majority' of that team, coaching staff included. 

It's super not complicated. We won the national championship because of one guy. People think we cheated to get that guy.

Nobody hated the rest of the team because nobody knows who else was on the team. That actually makes it worse.

*Again, I say 'almost' because the only other player from that team that anyone outside Auburn remembers is this guy.

Best Nick Fairley GIFs | Gfycat

Yea, one guy got a ton of hate. He didn’t get more hate than 99.9% of CFB teams ever lol. He didn’t get more hate than other teams on this list that are lower. That guy wants to talk about insulated, the entire country was sickened at Alabama backing their way into that title in 2011 

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Because the majority of the country hates Notre Dame, that’s the most successful ND team in decades and Manti Te’o was a laughingstock (I like the guy) for years. You’re insulated if you couldn’t see that

ND is a bigger program than Auburn and has as long a legacy as being (different) as any program around, so maybe the coverage they got isn’t especially different than they’d get during other elite seasons. But that barometer should be higher than what Auburn would get. One guy being vilified is not going to equal the over-reaching disdain that entire programs have wrought. 

You haven’t concretely stated your stance on this, and it’s really my entire point, do you believe Cam Newton got enough hate for the entire 2010 team to be top 3 on a list like this? 

More than enough.  Its literally still brought up anytime I travel and talk Auburn football with strangers.  I've just defaulted to saying "Best money we've ever spent."

You brought up 2011 Bama in another post.  Few people remember those circumstances.  People nationally STILL talk about Cam and being paid.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yea, one guy got a ton of hate. He didn’t get more hate than 99.9% of CFB teams ever lol. He didn’t get more hate than other teams on this list that are lower. That guy wants to talk about insulated, the entire country was sickened at Alabama backing their way into that title in 2011 

Believe what you want but you're arguing against a lot of experience telling you otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:57 AM, api1957 said:

Moo State every year. Cow bells. That is all.

Their stadium only holds 60,000 people. That means two things: 1) They HAVE to have some kind of equalizer in order to have much of a home field advantage, and 2) There aren't nearly as many rival fans who have to endure the horrific noise more than the little bit it shows up on TV.

But yeah, if every college football fan had to deal with being at Davis-Wade to watch their team do anything other than blow away the Bulldogs from start to finish, it would be at least top 5 of everyone's most hated team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You're misunderstanding this list. It's not a list of most hated programs ever. It's a list of specific teams. Yes, people who hate Notre Dame and also hate Cam probably hate Notre Dame more, but that's not at issue. Notre Dame hasn't been particularly relevant on the national scene, historically speaking, for, what, three decades? That one team is the only one to stir up much interest, so the Notre Dame hate is diluted.

But Cam has been a lightening rod, stretching beyond sports, for the last decade. And that 2010 team absorbs every bit of energy, because it's at the very base of when Cam started being under the microscope. So when this guy says our 2010 team is #4 most hated of all time, right now, yeah, I can buy that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

You're misunderstanding this list. It's not a list of most hated programs ever. It's a list of specific teams. Yes, people who hate Notre Dame and also hate Cam probably hate Notre Dame more, but that's not at issue. Notre Dame hasn't been particularly relevant on the national scene, historically speaking, for, what, three decades? That one team is the only one to stir up much interest, so the Notre Dame hate is diluted.

But Cam has been a lightening rod, stretching beyond sports, for the last decade. And that 2010 team absorbs every bit of energy, because it's at the very base of when Cam started being under the microscope. So when this guy says our 2010 team is #4 most hated of all time, right now, yeah, I can buy that.

I'm not "misunderstanding the list", I even added in one of my posts that some individual teams might not be as high as they should be because of being persistently disliked as a program. Notre Dame, who was in the playoffs/BCS natty more than us in the past 10 years isn't particularly relevant. 3 Top 5 finishes (we have 1), and 6 top 11 finishes (we have 2), and they aren't particularly relevant lol. (Not to mention, they're one of the tier 1 programs that get a ton of narratives even when they're bad, like Michigan or Miami!) They literally went to the playoffs and played in the biggest regular season game of the last season, how did you even come to this conclusion??? 

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You brought up 2011 Bama in another post.  Few people remember those circumstances.  People nationally STILL talk about Cam and being paid.

That's your opinion lol. I can easily say "I've had discussions with multiple people that are still salty about that 2011 Alabama team" because I've had, in the past month. It doesn't make sense to use your individual walk of life as actual merit to base such an argument on.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm not "misunderstanding the list", I even added in one of my posts that some individual teams might not be as high as they should be because of being persistently disliked as a program. Notre Dame, who was in the playoffs/BCS natty more than us in the past 10 years isn't particularly relevant. 3 Top 5 finishes (we have 1), and 6 top 11 finishes (we have 2), and they aren't particularly relevant lol. (Not to mention, they're one of the tier 1 programs that get a ton of narratives even when they're bad, like Michigan or Miami!) They literally went to the playoffs and played in the biggest regular season game of the last season, how did you even come to this conclusion??? 

I will relent that you have a point in that Notre Dame has finished high, but that's because they're Notre Dame. They've not had a team that was a legitimate threat to win a national championship in three decades, and they don't play in a conference to be relevant that way...on the field. But, again, they are Notre Dame, so when they win a lot on their cakewalk schedule, they get overhyped...and like you said, they get press even when they're bad.

But you're comparing them to Auburn when you talk about relevance, not Cam Newton. Cam has, again, been a lightening rod, and that 2010 team is viewed through the lens of belonging to him. That's why the team is so high on the list.

• Like 1

To be honest, upon further review...I really don't like this list, because a lot of the hate for several of those teams was mitigated when they lost a game that cost them the national championship. I suppose maybe it's judged based upon how hated they were while the season was going on...but if that's the case, I don't know why UCF is on the list, because there are a bunch of people who were cheering for them during the season, and I would believe that some of those people might have soured on them with the way UCF fans acted in the wake of that season.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That's your opinion lol. I can easily say "I've had discussions with multiple people that are still salty about that 2011 Alabama team" because I've had, in the past month. It doesn't make sense to use your individual walk of life as actual merit to base such an argument on.

Where were those conversations had?  As in, what part of the country?

Legitimate question I'm asking here.

Because my opinion is formed on face to face conversations while visiting nearly every corner of this country since we won that title.

Edited by Brad_ATX