predictions for the season

KnightTiger

So, I said 8-4.  

I think we’re not on the level of our 2 evil rivals YET!  But we’re working on it.  2 losses.  
I think A&M is overrated, but still better than us this year @ Kyle Field.  3rd loss.   
I think we finally end the curse @ Baton Rouge.  
So our 4th loss will go to PSU or Ole Miss.  

25 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Bend but don’t break defense 

I believe it’s a little bit of CDM’s philosophy 

We lose to bama and UGA and tamu. We probably lose to PSU. We probably split the MS school. LSU, arky, are both toss ups. 

The dream season for this team is 3-4 losses. The reality is this could be a 6 or 7 loss year. 

Edited by AUGunsmith

10 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Complete truth.

A surgically rebuilt O-line, a brand new offense with very inexperienced receivers, a critical loss on the D-line, a murderous schedule, playing in the toughest conference division in college football. A lot of things have to go right and/or lucky to get to (8+) wins. We are a team with a lot of quality depth at some positions and very little at the "bigs". The defense might be pretty good initially, but if a struggling offense leaves them on the field for too many plays they will get worn down and beat up playing thru our schedule.

For those with the "I just hope we're competitive" mindset, how many years into the Harsin era do you think we should have high expectations? 

Because if TX and OK don't join until 2025, the uniquely difficult schedule relative to the SEC will be a problem until then. Now once they do join, if it goes how I think it will then yes the schedule will be quite tough still but at least everyone in the SEC east will be playing it. God forbid of course OK be put in the east with Mizzou and perma cross div rivalries stay...

I can just see this being a thing where every year it's "guuuuuyyyyyyyyyyzzz we need to temper our expectations this year I just want us to be competitive..." Over the next five years we need at least two nine win seasons and at least one ten win season.

Anyway, food for thought (see bottom):

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/five-takeaways-from-the-preseason-usa-today-coaches-poll/

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

We lose to bama and UGA and tamu. We probably lose to PSU. We probably split the MS school. LSU, arky, are both toss ups. 

The dream season for this team is 3-4 losses. The reality is this could be a 6 or 7 loss year. 

I don't see it that way. I don't think we lose to PSU for one. I just think they are overrated. If we can go into Happy Valley and pulled out a W in what should be a top 20 matchup, that will give this team and staff a whole lot of confidence.

I believe we can beat LSU ( I know its in DV, but it is winnable).

Then if we were 5-0 going into UGA game which UGA should be at worst 1 loss, that would likely be a top 10 matchup. We don't have to win that one, but if we can be competitive and look like a well coached, top 15 team, then I believe the confidence will only boost more. 

I think Tamu is going to take a step back this year as well. They will be a tough one, but winnable. We normally play well in College Station. 

I like our chances of winning 8+. I think 8 is the floor. I believe the Defense is going to carry the team through the first part of the season along with Tank and it will be enough to get us through until we really gel on Offense. 

History has shown that when not much is expected out of AU is when we usually surprise. 

I also

• Like 2

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't see it that way. I don't think we lose to PSU for one. I just think they are overrated. If we can go into Happy Valley and pulled out a W in what should be a top 20 matchup, that will give this team and staff a whole lot of confidence.

I believe we can beat LSU ( I know its in DV, but it is winnable).

Then if we were 5-0 going into UGA game which UGA should be at worst 1 loss, that would likely be a top 10 matchup. We don't have to win that one, but if we can be competitive and look like a well coached, top 15 team, then I believe the confidence will only boost more. 

I think Tamu is going to take a step back this year as well. They will be a tough one, but winnable. We normally play well in College Station. 

I like our chances of winning 8+. I think 8 is the floor. I believe the Defense is going to carry the team through the first part of the season along with Tank and it will be enough to get us through until we really gel on Offense. 

History has shown that when not much is expected out of AU is when we usually surprise. 

I also

5 is the floor, 9 is the ceiling IMO.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AUwent said:

5 is the floor, 9 is the ceiling IMO.

I mean I get that. It is nearly impossible to predict this season period. Honestly, I can see a scenario where we could lose 6-7 games. I don't think that will happen, but if we go out flat against PSU and get mopped and then get mopped by LSU it could really have the opposite effect on our confidence and could go down hill quickly. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:14 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

I think a lot of folks are underestimating the defense. We are going to have a top 3 SEC D and with some improved play at QB (whether Bo or TJ) the offense will be good enough by midseason that we are rolling. 

I think the schedule sets up nice to win 9 games.

That is optimism at its finest. While I believe we will see a much improved all around defense, we are thin. To go from bottom ten in the country on 3rd down to 3rd all around in the SEC is a bold prediction and I consider myself very optimistic.  Here's to hoping you are correct because that would almost certainly guarantee 10+ wins..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I just hope Hairsin isn"t from the we've had a good weel of practice camp as his team goes out an has It's ass handed to them , chunks at a time.

NO Doubt.

With the whole "be competitive with our rivals" thing, I just want to point out that under Gustav we were perfectly competitive against UAT and UGA in JHS. Beat both in 2013 and 17, beat UAT in 19, played UGA within a TD in 15 and 19 (in both we were driving to tie towards the end) and were behind by just six entering the fourth with UAT in 15. So the real question is can we be competitive in Barad Dur and Orthanc (both on even, which is why I'm all for the Horns and Sooners providing any chance to change the schedule).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Harsin has a tough row to hoe in his first season. I think it takes a year to get things rolling. So...

Penn State, LSU, aTm, UGA and Alabama are all losses. Our Tigers split with the Mississippi schools, losing to either Ole Miss or MSU but not both. 6-6

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Harsin has a tough row to hoe in his first season. I think it takes a year to get things rolling. So...

Penn State, LSU, aTm, UGA and Alabama are all losses. Our Tigers split with the Mississippi schools, losing to either Ole Miss or MSU but not both. 6-6

So what do you expect next year?

I'm technically predicting those five as losses as well, but the others as wins. I think we could just as easily go 6-6 as 8-4. I don't think OM and Arky are anywhere near automatic wins but I don't think PSU and LSU are anywhere near automatic losses.

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

That is optimism at its finest. While I believe we will see a much improved all around defense, we are thin. To go from bottom ten in the country on 3rd down to 3rd all around in the SEC is a bold prediction and I consider myself very optimistic.  Here's to hoping you are correct because that would almost certainly guarantee 10+ wins..

Thin? The only position I would say we are thin at on the entire Defense is NT. 

The secondary is as good as we have been in a long time across the 2-deep. Smoke, Roger, Simpson and Pritchett are all returning starters who player very well. We have one of the better CB tandems in the country with Roger and Pritchett. Pritchett graded out as one of the best guys in coverage last year in the SEC.

Then we bring in Dreshun Miller who is a stud as well. Ledarrius Tennison, B. Knighten, D. KAuffman, and the list goes on. The secondary may be the best we have had in a long time. Add to that Coach Mason coaching them up and they will help our DL by getting some coverage sacks.

Let's talk about LB. We have the nations leading tackler and a Pappoe who is an athletic freak and is prepped to really have a good year. Add to that Wooten who has been very solid in his last 2 years of playing as a 1b type guy.

Cam Riley got plenty of experience last year and played well. With some added strength and mass he is set to make his name known. Behind them we have Wesley Steiner who is another freak athlete and Desmond Tisdol which all reports so far have been good.

In this new scheme they should be able to run and make plays all over the field. I look for Rabbit and Pap to have great seasons.

Pass rushers- Derick Hall really started coming on strong at the end of last season and that will carry into this year.

TD Moultry has always been explosive (just couldn't get the mental aspect) and a new scheme and staff could be just what he needs to turn the corner and play to his ability.

Eku Leota was very solid for NW last season and will be a great rotational piece for us. 

Romello Height is going to be the breakout player off the edge this year though. Calling it now. He looked very explosive in the spring and had a great first step and good bend. 

DL- Colby Wooten was the star of our DL last year and played solid all year long. He will be a force this year with some added strength and mass and I believe D. Mason will move him around and really use his versatility to our advantage. 

All reports indicate the Kansas transfer Marcus Harris has really stood out and I think he will be a key contributor this season. 

Zykevious Walker looked good in his action last year. He was raw, but played well and made some nice plays. He will be a good rotational piece.

The only position on Defense that I worry about at all is the NT because we have lost 3 bodies that I thought would all be able to handle that spot in Newkirk, Truesdell, and Wright. 

I firmly believe Tony Fair will be a solid NT, I just don't know if he is going to be able to handle more than 20-25 snaps a game. If Lee Hunter can come on quick, then I think between those two and MArquis Burks we will be ok. 

Again, I think for the first time in a decade or more the secondary is the strength of our defense and this will help our DL in the passing game because we have guys all over the field that can be put on an island and handle it. 

Yes I am optimistic about the defense, but it is not blind optimism. I look at what we have and how they have performed and make my projections off of that. It will all hinge on them making their mistakes early and learning from them as well as adjusting to the new scheme. I for one think that is what will happen. Top 3 scoring Defense in SEC ( I don't expect us to be top 3 in YPG or any other stats). I am strictly talking PPG.

I know this was long, but I just thought I would go over with the class on why I believe this. Mark my Words!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

I'm technically predicting those five as losses as well, but the others as wins. I think we could just as easily go 6-6 as 8-4. I don't think OM and Arky are anywhere near automatic wins but I don't think PSU and LSU are anywhere near automatic losses.

Next year? I won't put a number on wins and losses but I expect better. Harsin is a good coach. And as I've said before, Pat Dye didn't have a winning record his first season as head coach at AU.

If I had to guess, a year in I think we're still behind Alabama for sure. We may be able to go toe to toe with aTm and LSU. UGA is a question mark for me. If they get their offense in gear with JT Daniels at QB, Kirby may turn that corner he's been looking for. If not, we can take 'em.

I don't expect Harsin to stand pat on anything, from schemes to recruiting. He's gonna do what he has to do to make things work. A real blue collar type that will put in the hours and effort needed.

I said 6-6 in my post, factoring a split with the Mississippi teams. We may get both of those which makes for 7-5. And with a few lucky breaks we might steal another game or two so 8-4 or even (a miraculous) 9-3 is possible. Not likely, but possible.

War Eagle!

I predict that Mikey will break up with the Gus bus and start marchin’ with Harsin…….

wishing, hoping, dreaming.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

Considering we'll have like 3 OL on scholarship in 2022, we really need to have a good season this year b/c we'll most likely have a step back unless we can find a lot of transfers.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, 1716AU said:

I totally agree with you on experience, and you really can't buy that.

But talent level, especially at the Center and Tackle positions is what bothers me. Ton of experience from last season that is just bad.

But I truly like your outlook.  Better to be hopeful than despondent.

Let's not get it twisted. I don't expect this line to be a top tier OL or even top 6. I expect them to be middle of the road in SEC. 

Where I do get some optimism is in the fact that last year there was a lot of moving pieces and injuries causing players to be shuffled around. Also, as I mentioned before, Most of the times where it looked like we just got whipped up front was not actually the case. It was missed asignments. 3 guys shading to one side to block 1 man while 3 rush from the opposite side. Just not good coaching or execution or both. I expect that to be better this season. 

Lastly, this line is build for run blocking. We have some road graders up front. IF they can gel early and stay healthy as a unit, I expect our coaches to scheme around their weakness of pass blocking.

• Like 2

I am trying manage expectations: I first said 6-6 but I will raise that to 7-5 (based on all the optimism I am seeing). 

I think the most improvement will result from better offensive scheming. And I think everyone is underestimating the value of experience on the OL line, especially at center.  Hopefully we can avoid key injuries in positions where we are thin.

But 8 wins is definitely possible.  I'll be ecstatic if that happens. :wareagle:

16 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Thin? The only position I would say we are thin at on the entire Defense is NT. 

The secondary is as good as we have been in a long time across the 2-deep. Smoke, Roger, Simpson and Pritchett are all returning starters who player very well. We have one of the better CB tandems in the country with Roger and Pritchett. Pritchett graded out as one of the best guys in coverage last year in the SEC.

Then we bring in Dreshun Miller who is a stud as well. Ledarrius Tennison, B. Knighten, D. KAuffman, and the list goes on. The secondary may be the best we have had in a long time. Add to that Coach Mason coaching them up and they will help our DL by getting some coverage sacks.

Let's talk about LB. We have the nations leading tackler and a Pappoe who is an athletic freak and is prepped to really have a good year. Add to that Wooten who has been very solid in his last 2 years of playing as a 1b type guy.

Cam Riley got plenty of experience last year and played well. With some added strength and mass he is set to make his name known. Behind them we have Wesley Steiner who is another freak athlete and Desmond Tisdol which all reports so far have been good.

In this new scheme they should be able to run and make plays all over the field. I look for Rabbit and Pap to have great seasons.

Pass rushers- Derick Hall really started coming on strong at the end of last season and that will carry into this year.

TD Moultry has always been explosive (just couldn't get the mental aspect) and a new scheme and staff could be just what he needs to turn the corner and play to his ability.

Eku Leota was very solid for NW last season and will be a great rotational piece for us. 

Romello Height is going to be the breakout player off the edge this year though. Calling it now. He looked very explosive in the spring and had a great first step and good bend. 

DL- Colby Wooten was the star of our DL last year and played solid all year long. He will be a force this year with some added strength and mass and I believe D. Mason will move him around and really use his versatility to our advantage. 

All reports indicate the Kansas transfer Marcus Harris has really stood out and I think he will be a key contributor this season. 

Zykevious Walker looked good in his action last year. He was raw, but played well and made some nice plays. He will be a good rotational piece.

The only position on Defense that I worry about at all is the NT because we have lost 3 bodies that I thought would all be able to handle that spot in Newkirk, Truesdell, and Wright. 

I firmly believe Tony Fair will be a solid NT, I just don't know if he is going to be able to handle more than 20-25 snaps a game. If Lee Hunter can come on quick, then I think between those two and MArquis Burks we will be ok. 

Again, I think for the first time in a decade or more the secondary is the strength of our defense and this will help our DL in the passing game because we have guys all over the field that can be put on an island and handle it. 

Yes I am optimistic about the defense, but it is not blind optimism. I look at what we have and how they have performed and make my projections off of that. It will all hinge on them making their mistakes early and learning from them as well as adjusting to the new scheme. I for one think that is what will happen. Top 3 scoring Defense in SEC ( I don't expect us to be top 3 in YPG or any other stats). I am strictly talking PPG.

I know this was long, but I just thought I would go over with the class on why I believe this. Mark my Words!!!

You do realize the dline was the main problem last year. It is razor thin now. Mason is a great hire and will eventually get us there, just ain't happening this year. You also know that some of our returning players with experience wasn't all that great, not putting our players down because anyone who suits up for Auburn is my dude, and it takes more than a few reps to get rid of old habits when the lights come on. 

We are going to improve as the season progresses and as we get better players on the oline and dline over the next few seasons. You keep your enthusiasm and dream on...War Eagle

• Like 1

8 - 4 with losses to LSU, UGA, A&M and UAT.  The OL and offense as a whole play much better but the DL attrition comes back to bite us.  

Edited by SRBautigerfan