JJ Pegues is making moves

aubiefifty

JJ Pegues is making moves on the defensive line

Lance Dawe
2 minutes

The Flying Pegasus has made a return to the field, ladies and gentlemen.

Fan-favorite JJ Pegues made his move to defensive tackle over the spring, and he’s been relatively quiet since.

However, new defensive coordinator Derek Mason had a lot to say about Pegues.

“JJ is getting progressively better every day,” Coach Mason said to media Monday. “Coach (Nick) Eason and Coach (Bert) Watts do a good job of pushing these guys in terms of finishing. I think it is a process so for him, just challenging him every day to be his best self, not getting frustrated if it doesn’t go exactly the way he wants it to go that day…

“JJ is a guy who is extremely athletic and talented. He wants to do everything right, and sometimes that can be a frustrating process. He picked it up fast and is getting better every day. The nuances are about repetition, but for him the more reps he is taking the better he gets.

“It’s just good to see this big, explosive, strong and extremely athletic guy up front because when you watch him in one-on-ones or watch him in nine-on-seven he can move the line of scrimmage. He can move laterally. I just like the temperament that he has shown since he has come back from offense to defense.”

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This is a huge addition to the defense.  With his athleticism, he'll be making plays long before he figures out what in the world he is doing fundamental wise. 

• Like 5

I don't know if anybody remembers Gabe McKenzie but his story started the same. He went from a great tight end for us, to moving to DE due to lack of depth. He never made an impact after the move.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I sure hope he plays a lot. I'd hate for him to go from an offensive weapon to someone we only use sparingly on defense. 

More of an offensive gimmick than a weapon. 

As a DL, he has an actually chance to live up to his freak athleticism. 

Nothing he did last season couldn't have been done better by a prototypical TE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

More of an offensive gimmick than a weapon. 

As a DL, he has an actually chance to live up to his freak athleticism. 

Nothing he did last season couldn't have been done better by a prototypical TE

I don't know. That's a lot of weight with unusually quick feet as a blocker. Threw some big blocks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don't know. That's a lot of weight with unusually quick feet as a blocker. Threw some big blocks.

I like how he floats through the air like a ballerina when he hurdled people.  LOL

He will be a weapon on D.  He will crush some fullback or backfield blocker so hard they will have to turn in their man card.

A lot of players talk about "running through walls" for their coach.   This wall  (JJ) will run through you.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don't know if anybody remembers Gabe McKenzie but his story started the same. He went from a great tight end for us, to moving to DE due to lack of depth. He never made an impact after the move.

JJ is a whole heck of a lot more talented than Gabe.

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I was sitting in the north end zone in 2008 when McKenzie recovered an LSU fumble and ran it in for a TD that year. That was a big moment, though we went on to lose that game and the season fell apart. That staff knew how to mix and match players at those positions.

edit - may have been a pick 6 for him but can’t remember specifically. Just remember him running towards our seats from the 10 yard line.

Edited by lca408

22 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I was sitting in the north end zone in 2008 when McKenzie recovered an LSU fumble and ran it in for a TD that year. That was a big moment, though we went on to lose that game and the season fell apart. That staff knew how to mix and match players at those positions.

edit - may have been a pick 6 for him but can’t remember specifically. Just remember him running towards our seats from the 10 yard line.

He was a very good tight end before the switch. People forget how good he was. Pretty much singlehandedly beat K State if I recall. 

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I saw that he made a couple of tackles. Anyone else observe him play more closely?

I saw him hit the burst button towards the Akron QB and the only thing the OL could do was hold him. It was the play where Akron threw about 20 yards down the left side line and was just inches from being intercepted, but was caught for a first down. I believe it was third and long?

• Like 1

Going to take a minute before he stops thinking and starts just doing. Took Jeff Holland until his 3rd year. TD Moultry seems to just now finally gotten there. I know they play(ed) a different position but every position requires specific skill and craft. Pegues seems like a special, intuitive athlete, so it shouldn't take toooooo long. But it's not going to be immediate. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Going to take a minute before he stops thinking and starts just doing. Took Jeff Holland until his 3rd year. TD Moultry seems to just now finally gotten there. I know they play(ed) a different position but every position requires specific skill and craft. Pegues seems like a special, intuitive athlete, so it shouldn't take toooooo long. But it's not going to be immediate. 

It's probably going to be immediate 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

nuh uh u r

This year immediate? Maybe. Before uga immediate? Sure would be nice!

I'll just take this year. I don't know much about defensive line play, but sure seems to be a lot of technique that young players struggle with. I've learned this from my many years of watching rookie lineman get their asses chewed on Hard Knocks episodes - and many of those kids were early round draft picks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I'll just take this year. I don't know much about defensive line play, but sure seems to be a lot of technique that young players struggle with. I've learned this from my many years of watching rookie lineman get their asses chewed on Hard Knocks episodes - and many of those kids were early round draft picks. 

That's my take on it. When there was a lot of "spirited debate" about this back in spring- spirited debate in which I may or may not have participated to a noticeable degree- that was what I wasn't sure folks understood. Even at a position that is probably a little less cerebral than, say, center, there is still a learning curve.

I really do think JJ has as good a shot as anyone at picking up the nuances faster than the average cat. 300 lb gazelle who has played every skill position on offense? Yeah. He'll be okay. Hopefully soon. 

• Like 3

I was only able to watch him for two plays due to camera angles, but on both plays, he put on a burst and all the OL could do was grab jersey. He was spun halfway around both times by the hold, but no call was made, which I would expect with the game out of hand like that. 

• Like 2

Then again, some people just "get it".  JJ is no rookie.   He understands what it takes to be successful.  His O experience last year helped him to comprehend the importance of technique for success.   With the technique oriented coaches he has,  I am confident he will get to the point of reacting and not thinking in 3-4 more games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Then again, some people just "get it".  JJ is no rookie.   He understands what it takes to be successful.  His O experience last year helped him to comprehend the importance of technique for success.   With the technique oriented coaches he has,  I am confident he will get to the point of reacting and not thinking in 3-4 more games.

No doubt. I think he's one of the most interesting players on the roster this year. Going to be fun to watch. Even if the light bulb takes a while to completely come on, we're going to see flashes, and that's all it takes to change a game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Does anyone know if JJ played any D in high school? If he did, its not like he hadn't learned any D. So his learning curve could be a short one.

Now if he was always an offensive player in HS, then I expect him to play only to rest some guys, especially playing the stronger teams down the road. And hopefully if he gets better, he will be in the mix to start next year. 

Usually someone with his athletic ability, he will make a splash play, here and there, but for the most part will not be a significant contributor(unless someone in the DL gets hurt ofc.).

it is so much fun enjoying football at auburn again without all the arguing. i swear sometimes when  i think about auburn now  i might start dancing where i stand. i have missed that joy.it might be at wally or the docs. it does not matter. and of course my dancing sucks but it has been a rough road and then with covid on top of that i lost my joy for auburn. i always retained my love for auburn for the record but most of the joy slipped away. now it is back and i am enjoying it so much.

• Like 1