Bobo on Nix

aubiefifty

Bobo on Nix: 'He's made a lot of improvement'

ByJason Caldwell
4 minutes

WATCH: Auburn's Bo Nix and QB's throwing to tight ends

AUBURN, Alabama—A two-year starter at quarterback for Auburn, junior Bo Nix is learning under his third offensive coordinator and third position coach heading into the 2021 college football season with Mike Bobo running the show for the Tigers under first-year head coach Bryan Harsin. A player with great deal of athleticism who has shown flashes of brilliance, Nix is someone his new coach wants to see take a step forward beginning with his consistency on the fundamental parts of playing the position.

“To me, with Bo, it’s doing the little things over and over and I’m talking about fundamentally,” Bobo said. “He had a really good day on day three. I thought he was sharp. I thought he was fundamentally sound. He was on-balance in the pocket when he threw and he finished on-balance. That’s a lot of what we havve been talking about with him of being on-balance and getting his feet in the ground. You’re going to be more consistent throwing the ball.

“Just becoming a more consistent passer, to me that’s with his fundamentals that we talk about every day. That goes back to him being vulnerable and taking coaching, and not having all the answers and listening. The number one thing for me, you never get away from talking fundamentals. You’ve never arrived.

“You are always looking at the fundamentals of each play, your drop and where your eyes are and how you set your hips," Bobo said. "All those little things we talk about. A scheme is a scheme, but doing the fundamentals over and over is the main thing with him and I like where he’s at. There is a lot of improvement to be made, but he has made a lot of improvement the short time we’ve been here.”

That’s not a surprise for Bobo because he has watched Nix grind both on the field and in the film room to improve his game in every area. Being "vulnerable" is a trait that Bobo keeps coming back to, meaning being able to take coaching and listen to what the coaches want you to do to not only help your game, but the overall offense. It’s an important trait to have at every position, but especially quarterback. Something else that is important is the competitive fire that drives you to win. Nix has that, said Bobo.

24COMMENTS

I've been extremely impressed with how hard this young man works -- whether it's in the weight room, whether it's running the decks this summer in the stadium, how he prepares for each meeting,” Bobo said. “Coming in beforehand with the offensive staff, I walk around the corner to my office and he's sitting there constantly watching film, getting ready for the meeting, preparing. The questions that he asks -- he leaves no stone unturned. His work ethic No. 1, and then he's the ultimate competitor.He wants to win at everything, not just football. Anything that we do that has competition, Bo Nix wants to win.

“He loves Auburn University and I think all those things are important, and this is a guy who’s started two years here, but is still being vulnerable and understanding that he still has a lot he has to work on. I think that’s a credit to him and how he was raised. I’m really excited to be here and coach Bo Nix.”

2021 ITAT Auburn Football Guide Now Available

Archived