Shaun Shivers comments....

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Shaun Shivers compares new Auburn RB to Kerryon Johnson, discusses Bo Nix’s growth

Adam Spencer | 1 day ago
1 minute

Tank Bigsby is the starting running back at Auburn and should be one of the top rushers in the league under new OC Mike Bobo.

Backing him up will be Shaun Shivers, who will also contribute in the return game. On Saturday, after a practice session, Shivers spoke with the media.

He said he’s liking what he’s seeing from a new Auburn running back, comparing Jordon Ingram to former Auburn star Kerryon Johnson:

With Bigsby and Shivers likely on top of the depth chart, we’ll see how big of a role Ingram can work his way into.

Meanwhile Shivers said he’s seen a lot of improvement in QB Bo Nix already this fall:

There’s a lot of optimism in Auburn right now. We’ll see how things progress moving toward Week 1!

I'm liking what worm is putting down. If Ingram is that good we're going to have a nice 1,2,3 punch. What he says about Nix is very encouraging too. 

49 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I'm liking what worm is putting down. If Ingram is that good we're going to have a nice 1,2,3 punch. What he says about Nix is very encouraging too. 

i believe bo will up his game. and bobo has been known to fit good schemes around his qb's strengths. my git feeling is bo will up his game big time. i still look back to his freshman year and him beating oregon and bama. that is huge for a frosh. and last year screwed everything up and he did not get to have a spring because of covid according to him so that hurt him. besides he wants to impress his new lady. grins

6 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Shivers sounds like he's ready to be a leader. Making the most of the change it seems.

In fairness to Shaun, he was already a leader on this team. 

30 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Shivers sounds like he's ready to be a leader. Making the most of the change it seems.

He’s a returning team captain.

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

saturdaydownsouth.com

Shaun Shivers compares new Auburn RB to Kerryon Johnson, discusses Bo Nix’s growth

Adam Spencer | 1 day ago
1 minute

Tank Bigsby is the starting running back at Auburn and should be one of the top rushers in the league under new OC Mike Bobo.

Backing him up will be Shaun Shivers, who will also contribute in the return game. On Saturday, after a practice session, Shivers spoke with the media.

He said he’s liking what he’s seeing from a new Auburn running back, comparing Jordon Ingram to former Auburn star Kerryon Johnson:

With Bigsby and Shivers likely on top of the depth chart, we’ll see how big of a role Ingram can work his way into.

Meanwhile Shivers said he’s seen a lot of improvement in QB Bo Nix already this fall:

There’s a lot of optimism in Auburn right now. We’ll see how things progress moving toward Week 1!

I'm curious how Shivers see's Ingram compared to KJ?

They seem at least physically to be totally different built RBs. So I am wondering what similarities he sees.

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm curious how Shivers see's Ingram compared to KJ?

They seem at least physically to be totally different built RBs. So I am wondering what similarities he sees.

Patience when waiting for a running lane to open up.

Worm also said this,

Jarquez Hunter and Jordon Ingram round out the running backs room behind Bigsby and Shivers this season. Presenting complementing skill sets — Hunter a strong, straight-ahead runner, while Ingram is smooth with the ball in his hands and can be an effective receiver, too — the young pair practiced with Auburn for the first time over the past couple days.

Shivers has enjoyed what he's seen from both thus far. On Ingram, a transfer from Central Michigan: "I was just saying earlier today when we watched film from practice, I said he reminds me of Kerryon (Johnson), just with how patient he is and how he can hit it. He's real patient and then once he sees it, he hits it."

On Hunter, a three-star true freshman from Mississippi: "Strong, physical and downhill. Jarquez, he's real strong. He's physical. I watched a lot of film of him today, too. He hit the hole. He's explosive. That's a downhill runner right there."

So we have Tank, Worm, Hunter and Ingram. Then we have walk-on Sean Jackson who is also opening some eyes.  

I know recency bias plays a role but it's hard not to think Tank isn't the best back we've had since Cadillac and Ronnie. There's just no real weakness in his game. His speed, power, vision, cuts well, pass blocks, breaks tackles better than anyone. Harsin knows this and will ride him hard, we just have to hope not as hard as Gus would and he's still healthy at the end.

I really believe it's going to be a major competition behind him though. A lot of folks seem to think Hunter and Ingram will just settle in for the 3 and 4 spots. Both those guys are physically further along than most freshman. They are absolutely looking to move up the depth chart behind Tank. Going to be fun to watch. All of them gotta bring it every single day

48 minutes ago, au302 said:

I know recency bias plays a role but it's hard not to think Tank isn't the best back we've had since Cadillac and Ronnie.

We've had a lot of good RBs since those two, I'm not sure we've had a truly great one.  I think there were a few in a "Very Good" category.  Like Mason/Kenny Irons.  Not sure we've had a "Great" RB since 'lac/Ronnie.  If Tank does what everyone thinks he'll do, he should be in the conversation with Ronnie & Carnell

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm thrilled Worm has a coach that understands his abilities

Seriously. Great coaches find a spot or role for ANYONE who has talent/will to learn and succeed. 

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Seriously. Great coaches find a spot or role for ANYONE who has talent/will to learn and succeed. 

And he's been willing and able for the last 3 years.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And he's been willing and able for the last 3 years.

Yep. I have a feeling we’re all going to be in meltdown mode by mid September because of all the wasted talent finally contributing in big ways. Cannot wait to see what Harsin does with all this talent. 

1 hour ago, au302 said:

I know recency bias plays a role but it's hard not to think Tank isn't the best back we've had since Cadillac and Ronnie. There's just no real weakness in his game. His speed, power, vision, cuts well, pass blocks, breaks tackles better than anyone. Harsin knows this and will ride him hard, we just have to hope not as hard as Gus would and he's still healthy at the end.

I really believe it's going to be a major competition behind him though. A lot of folks seem to think Hunter and Ingram will just settle in for the 3 and 4 spots. Both those guys are physically further along than most freshman. They are absolutely looking to move up the depth chart behind Tank. Going to be fun to watch. All of them gotta bring it every single day

well there is ONE problem with the young lad. he sucks answering questions behind that microphone...........grins

1 hour ago, au302 said:

I know recency bias plays a role but it's hard not to think Tank isn't the best back we've had since Cadillac and Ronnie.

Sadly, if there was a more talented back than him, it was Jovon Robinson or possibly Mike Dyer. But clearly he's going to have a better career than either of them if he stays healthy. I was a huge fan of KI, Tate, Mason and KJ, but Tank's got first round potential. And amplifying my excitement over him is all that talent plus he's in that elite character/leadership category. Like you said, total package. 

Him and Worm in the same backfield... we really need to soak up every minute of it this season. If they stay healthy there will be some very special memories made. 

I'll be shocked if Ingram gets anything better than RB4 reps. He will have beaten some long odds. We were desperate for a fourth back and he was the best available. I'll downgrade "shocked" to "surprised" if Hunter gets more than RB3 reps, although I could see him getting a lot of cleanup duty carries. A lot will depend on his pass pro and route running/pass catching*. I'm usually in the "you never know" camp, but Worm is in a literal contract year and he is as hungry, focused, violent and, well, fast as just about anyone we've had at that position. (I want to add experienced, but that conversation could go an unproductive route in a hurry.)

*Fun fact: Jay Ajayi had 22 catches as a sophomore. His junior year? 50. RB1 at Boise the next year? 51. We only had a wide receiver eclipse 50 two or three times the entire Malzahn era. The fewest catches RB1 had during the Harsin era at Boise was 26. Gus only had a running back eclipse 20 catches once, and that was KJ in 2017 with 24. 

There are just so many reasons to be optimistic that Auburn football might get fun again. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sadly, if there was a more talented back than him, it was Jovon Robinson or possibly Mike Dyer. But clearly he's going to have a better career than either of them if he stays healthy. I was a huge fan of KI, Tate, Mason and KJ, but Tank's got first round potential. And amplifying my excitement over him is all that talent plus he's in that elite character/leadership category. Like you said, total package. 

Him and Worm in the same backfield... we really need to soak up every minute of it this season. If they stay healthy there will be some very special memories made. 

I'll be shocked if Ingram gets anything better than RB4 reps. He will have beaten some long odds. We were desperate for a fourth back and he was the best available. I'll downgrade "shocked" to "surprised" if Hunter gets more than RB3 reps, although I could see him getting a lot of cleanup duty carries. A lot will depend on his pass pro and route running/pass catching*. I'm usually in the "you never know" camp, but Worm is in a literal contract year and he is as hungry, focused, violent and, well, fast as just about anyone we've had at that position. (I want to add experienced, but that conversation could go an unproductive route in a hurry.)

*Fun fact: Jay Ajayi had 22 catches as a sophomore. His junior year? 50. RB1 at Boise the next year? 51. We only had a wide receiver eclipse 50 two or three times the entire Malzahn era. The fewest catches RB1 had during the Harsin era at Boise was 26. Gus only had a running back eclipse 20 catches once, and that was KJ in 2017 with 24. 

There are just so many reasons to be optimistic that Auburn football might get fun again. 

That walk on back has some good pass catching skills that may get him some pt in a year or two.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

That walk on back has some good pass catching skills that may get him some pt in a year or two.

It would surprise me less than the other scenarios if Jackson ended up RB4. 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm full of it

Full of it, or covered in it. 😝 

Archived