Big role could be in store for DT Tony Fair

aubiefifty

Big role could be in store for new Auburn DT Tony Fair

ByNathan King

4-5 minutes

Auburn Defensive Backs in Action at Opening Practice

AUBURN, Alabama — Tony Fair was, in a sense, the favorite player for Alabama reporters on the final day of SEC Media Days last month.

Fair's comments on social media this offseason about his and Auburn's plans to "take the head off the elephant" — in reference to the behemoth Crimson Tide — were brought up to both Bo Nix and Owen Pappoe last month in Hoover. Both of Auburn's SEC Media Days ambassadors' answers hinted at how much Fair's enthusiasm has already been felt within his new locker room.

"Tony, he transferred into us, and that quote, obviously it's a confident quote, but I hope he's coming to take the head off the elephant," Nix said. He then joked: "I hope he's not coming to get the head taken off the Tiger. ... I think that actually I like the quote."

The buzz around Fair, a UAB graduate transfer at defensive tackle who committed to the Tigers in May, has been that he's a popular character in the Auburn football building already — thanks to not only his valuable experience along the defensive line, but also his personality and attitude.

Over the weekend, however, Fair got the opportunity to back up his confident remarks from the summer. And his new teammates have already been impressed.

"I love playing alongside Tony Fair,” defensive end Colby Wooden said Saturday.

Fair was already an important addition for Auburn's defensive front — a veteran with NFL aspirations looking to make an impact at one of Auburn's more unproven positions.

"I've been in this game too long; I don't have time to play around," Fair told Auburn Undercover when he committed.

But he could take on an even bigger role now, seeing as fifth-year senior Tyrone Truesdell's status with the program is in question.

In two seasons at UAB, Fair amassed 56 tackles, seven tackles for loss and three forced fumbles as a true nose tackle. He's set to play the same position in Derek Mason's defense this fall; Wooden called him "a big noseplugger."

Despite being the eighth-heaviest player on Auburn's roster at 6-foot-1 and 330 pounds, Fair is more than just a big anchor to hold down the middle of the defensive line. Wooden said Fair's agility stood out in the first couple practices of the preseason.

"I love playing alongside a guy like him because he's guaranteed to take up two (blockers)," Wooden said. "He moves better than what he looks like, which was a surprise to me."

If Truesdell ends up not playing his fifth season with the program, Fair won't be the only big defensive tackle needing to step up. Marquis Burks had a strong spring after Jeremiah Wright's injury allowed him to take on a starting role, while Zykeivous Walker and Dre Butler are two candidates for breakout seasons, according to Wooden. Four-star freshman Lee Hunter will be a factor for Nick Eason's defensive line, too.

If first impressions are any indication, however, Fair could be set up as relied-upon veteran this fall, looking to create push-back for the D-line, front and center at nose tackle.

"(Fair) doesn't ask for much," Wooden said. "He's going to give you his all. Plus, he's very good at the point of attack as well as defeating a block and rushing the quarterback. I've noticed that in the past couple of days. I just love playing alongside him."

Archived