Bigsby excited about getting 'downhill'

aubiefifty

Bigsby excited about getting 'downhill' in new Auburn offense

ByJason Caldwell
3-4 minutes

Wide Receivers On Opening Day of Auburn Preseason Football Practice

AUBURN, Alabama—Coming off an impressive freshman season on the Plains when he was named the SEC Freshman of the Year after rushing for 834 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games while averaging 6.0 yards per carry, Auburn’s Tank Bigsby is ready to take his game to another level under Bryan Harsin and new offensive coordinator Mike Bobo.

With an understanding of what it takes to be successful in the Southeastern Conference and also the toll it takes on your body, Bigsby said the biggest thing for him was preparing during the summer to get ready for the season mentally. That begins by building on his first spring practice with a full camp as opposed to last year.

Actually, just knowing everything and knowing how everything is going to be,” Bigsby said is a big difference from last year. “Knowing the system and everything, it’s making it a lot easier. It makes it way easier than it was last year.”

With a comfort level in an offense that should be a good fit for his running style, Bigsby said he’s excited about what this season holds under Bobo and company on offense.

“Well, we’ll be going more downhill then we went last year, so, it will be different,” he said. “I’m excited about Coach Bobo and I’m excited to work with him.”

Someone that is excited to see what Bigsby does this season is running mate Shaun Shivers. Watching as the young back came in and delivered last season while learning what life in the league was all about, Shivers said Bigsby is just scratching the surface of what he can be.

“Tank, he's going to do what he always does,” Shivers said. “Tank, he's a really, really good football player, and he has improved way -- like, what y'all seen last year, he was still a freshman. But now, he’s grown up.”

“He's looking way better than he looked last year. I think this offense is really good for him, too, because now we'll be getting him downhill. He's one cut and go. That's the type of player that he is: a real explosive player. You know when you put the ball in his hands you can expect a big play every time."

Just how well Bigsby, Shivers and the entire offense performs will depend on the guys in front of them. An offensive line that now has experience, Bigsby said he’s seen the group continue to grind and come together since last season. Having veterans up front along with himself and Shivers in the running back, the second-year Tiger said now it’s just a matter of trusting everyone to perform when it’s time.

2COMMENTS

“Yes sir. I mean, it’s just football,” Bigsby said. “Like you said, it’s experience; we are experienced, but at the end of the day it’s just football. You do what you have to do out there and everybody handles their job.”

10519064.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Tank Bigsby is running into the 2021 season. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports) ">247Sports

I’m really excited to see Tank and Worm running together this year.  Could be the best RB combo we’ve had since Carnell and Ronnie.  

Archived