Four police officers who responded to Capitol riot have died by suicide

aubiefifty

Four police officers who responded to Capitol riot have died by suicide

bd9978130c5020a101a80477a59b619a

Erin Doherty
Tue, August 3, 2021, 5:54 AM·1 min read

Four D.C. Metropolitan Police police officers who responded to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot have died by suicide, according to the WUSA9, a CBS affiliate in the city.

Driving the news: Officer Kyle DeFreytag, who served in the Fifth District and responded to the Capitol riot, was found dead on July 10. DeFreytag joined the department in 2016, per CNN.

Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free

The big picture: Confirmation of DeFreytag's death marks four suicides by officers who defended the U.S. Capitol on January 6.

• Officer Gunther Hashida was found deceased in his home on Thursday. Metro Police confirmed his death Monday hours before news broke of DeFreytag's.

• Metropolitan Police officer Jeffrey Smith, 35, and Capitol Police officer Howard Liebengood, 51, both responded to the attack on the Capitol and took their own lives in the days after.

Last week, four police officers who responded to the attack gave testimony before the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot, detailing their personal experiences confronting the attack.

If you or someone you know may be considering suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (En Español: 1-888-628-9454; Deaf and Hard of Hearing: dial 711 then 1-800-273-8255) or the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741.

this is on you republican party. patriotism my ass. the republican party is trying to reinvent the wheel here and could care less how it effects the very people sworn to protect them. man you guys are the gift that just keeps on giving.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

this is on you republican party. patriotism my ass. the republican party is trying to reinvent the wheel here and could care less how it effects the very people sworn to protect them. man you guys are the gift that just keeps on giving.

Is there a medal for dumbest comment ever?

What are the officers saaying iin their suicide notes about why they are taking their lives? Suicide rarely makes sense. My own mother took her life long ago in a crazy thought process. She was clinically depressed. Why did each of these officesr do this?

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

What are the officers saying iin their suicide notes about why they are taking their lives? Suicide rarely makes sense. My own mother took her life long ago in a crazy thought process. She was clinically depressed. Why did each of these officesr do this?

from what i gather it would be shame. this stupid game the repukes are playing right now is deadly. biggest bunch of liars i have ever seen and they have no shame trying to rewrite history.

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Is there a medal for dumbest comment ever?

i am pretty sure your trophy case is full of awards for dumb comments and lies as well.

Archived