Jason Caldwell's Monday Morning quarterback column

aubiefifty

Jason Caldwell's Monday Morning quarterback column

ByJason Caldwell
4-5 minutes

4-star Defensive Lineman Caden Story Reveals Commitment Decision

Camp Time

Later this week it will be the much-awaited beginning of camp for Bryan Harsin’s first Auburn football team and the Tigers head into the preseason with a whole lot of questions on both sides of the ball. The really interesting thing is that the questions are much different than they used to be for coaches on college campuses.

Until about 15 years ago the players still reported to campus and for the newcomers it was the first time the coaches to work with them. I remember thinking about who could play that season and who was likely headed for a redshirt just based on how they looked physically when they got to Auburn for reporting day.These days the newcomers are on campus for much of the summer and for many they have been on campus since January.

Camp used to be for getting players in shape to play a season and featured plenty of running and conditioning sprints after two or three practices a day. That’s not the case any longer. If you’re not in condition when you hit the ground for the first day of camp it’s probably already too late. With just a couple of weeks of camp time before you begin to focus on the season, teams don’t have time to spend easing guys into things

OL Expectations

I know that many have already written off Auburn’s offensive line after last season, but I believe it is going to be the surprise group of the team and maybe one of the surprises in the league in 2021. First of all, there is depth in the group with multiple players capable of playing more than one position. That gives you built-in depth and experience, which is what was lacking last season.

When you look back at last year, it was 100 percent a recipe for failure for the offensive line when you consider what they had to deal with. A new offense and new offensive line coach and no spring practice made the task an extremely difficult one, and then you factor in covid protocols that impacted the group heavily in the preseason and it’s no surprise the Tigers struggled up front early last season.

However, there was some progress for the offensive line during the middle of the season until injuries to Brandon Council, Alec Jackson and Tank Bigsby made it tough to run the football. At full strength it was an offense that was capable of moving the football on the ground.

That will be a key this season for the Tigers in Mike Bobo’s system and with more depth and the potential to use the tight ends in the passing game, it should take some of the pressure off the line and allow them to take a step forward.

Another Major Leaguer

The roll continues for Coach Butch Thompson in terms of developing and sending players to the big leagues with former Auburn pitcher Gabe Klobosits getting his shot with the Washington Nationals as a reliever. The Texas native and junior college transfer spent two seasons in an Auburn uniform and made 38 appearances, including seven starts. He was drafted in the 36th round and has made a steady climb through the minor leagues since his selection at the end of the 2017 season.

Klobosits has made 73 relief appearances in four minor league seasons and is 5-3 with a 1.45 ERA to go along with 13 career saves and 10 career holds. He has struck out 107 batters in 105 2/3 innings and has turned in a .196 average against with a 1.08 WHIP.

9COMMENTS

Klobosits was called up to Triple-A on June 29, 2021 and didn’t allow an earned run in nine appearances and 12.0 innings. He went 1-1 with three saves in three opportunities and struck out 10 batters while holding opponents to a .182 average against.

2021 ITAT Auburn Football Guide Now Available

Klobosits becomes the 56th Auburn baseball alum to play in the big leagues, including the fifth former Tiger and fourth pitcher since Aug. 19, 2020 to make his Major League debut. Klobosits also becomes Auburn head coach Thompson’s 18th pitcher to make his MLB debut, including his 12th since 2014. He is one of 17 pitchers to enter professional baseball in Thompson’s tenure at Auburn (2016-present).

">247Sports

Can't wait to start getting some real football news. Curious to see what kind of access Harsin allows. He seemed to let the reporters see a little more than Gus allowed during spring practices. We'll see how that access changes now that we are closing in on real games. 

As far as the article goes.....the comments on the OL are encouraging. I agree that we should be able to run it some if Tank gets back healthy. Just not sure we have the guys on the outside that can handle the better dlines we'll face. Using multiple TEs we'll definitely help offset the lack of elite OTs. But the biggest thing is we just need better communication so we can stop getting confused with simple stunts and twists. 

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Can't wait to start getting some real football news. Curious to see what kind of access Harsin allows. He seemed to let the reporters see a little more than Gus allowed during spring practices. We'll see how that access changes now that we are closing in on real games. 

As far as the article goes.....the comments on the OL are encouraging. I agree that we should be able to run it some if Tank gets back healthy. Just not sure we have the guys on the outside that can handle the better dlines we'll face. Using multiple TEs we'll definitely help offset the lack of elite OTs. But the biggest thing is we just need better communication so we can stop getting confused with simple stunts and twists. 

I think he (Harsin) will play it closer to best this year.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

i think with added weight and muscle our line will be better. we actually have one or two guys on lists of some kind.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I think with added weight and muscle our line will be better.

I think the S&T program has been desperately needing an upgrade since 2015-16.  I can't wait to see what the extra strength and size will lead to.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I can't wait to see what the extra strength and size will lead to.

Can’t help myself, “that’s what she…”, nope too stale.

Archived