Conference realignment 2021

AUBwins

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Nope,

I don't think there is a set number but you would think there would be a max financial plateau. How many teams can you add for max money before you start losing money due to total teams in pool?

Edited by AUBwins

33 minutes ago, dmbseeker00 said:

Man, I cannot keep up with all this change in college football so fast, but If it did go to 18 teams with Clemson and Florida St. too...I think a 3 division breakdown could make sense...

WEST DIVISION

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

CENTRAL DIVISION

Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.
Vanderbilt
Tennessee

EASTERN DIVISION

Clemson
Florida
Florida St
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina

Move to a 9 team conference schedule. Each team plays 5 division opponents each year and 2 each from other 2 divisions. Play every team in the conference every 3 years.

OR

Move to an 11 team conference schedule. Each team plays 5 division opponents each year and 3 each from other 2 divisions. Play every team from conference every 2 years. I know 11 conference games seems crazy but, this game is changing so fast, the SEC would be so strong, it be even more understood than even now, that good SEC teams could be have 3 or 4 losses in a year. 

Each division winner and 1 wild card in an SEC playoff for conference championship 

Thank goodness this will never happen. ACC should figure it’s own stuff out starting with adding WVU. 

4 hours ago, dmbseeker00 said:

Man, I cannot keep up with all this change in college football so fast, but If it did go to 18 teams with Clemson and Florida St. too...I think a 3 division breakdown could make sense...

WEST DIVISION

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

CENTRAL DIVISION

Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.
Vanderbilt
Tennessee

EASTERN DIVISION

Clemson
Florida
Florida St
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina

Move to a 9 team conference schedule. Each team plays 5 division opponents each year and 2 each from other 2 divisions. Play every team in the conference every 3 years.

OR

Move to an 11 team conference schedule. Each team plays 5 division opponents each year and 3 each from other 2 divisions. Play every team from conference every 2 years. I know 11 conference games seems crazy but, this game is changing so fast, the SEC would be so strong, it be even more understood than even now, that good SEC teams could be have 3 or 4 losses in a year. 

Each division winner and 1 wild card in an SEC playoff for conference championship 

@dmbseeker00 Good outside the box thinking right there. The 3 division, 2 year rotation has potential albeit with an 11 game SEC schedule. I prefer 16 teams with 4 divisions but this would work for 18.  

19 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

That would be most of us who attended AU, then. I'm not sure why you even remain a fan if you feel that way. 

I like the program? lol. Didn't know you had to have a wall sized poster of it to appreciate Auburn football! 

14 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Do you not believe in the Creed, then?

It's inspired someone to go an inch harder than they would've done normally, so it has certainly served its purpose. Just not a big school spirit type, and I'm not criticizing anyone who does protect those words with their lives or anything. I just thought it was funny someone would get treated as a miscreant for (by one's perception) going against some words from 100 years ago

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't know about you but it's now a 5-6 year period for a degree. lol.

And I don't remember the Creed being inundated while I was there, and I was in the band. :)

I started fall 2017 and would've been gone by spring 2021, but had to take one semester off. I took quite a few 15+ hours semesters though (which was part of the reason I got burned out lol)

That was just my subjective perspective on it. I had about enough of the pre-game chants somewhere after being cooked alive just to lose to this rando, Joe Burrow, during the 2018 LSU game though. That's one of a few disappointing moments from 2018 on that I likely mentally associated with the actual traditions that I shouldn't have. 

Anything but this format:

East--Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, USCe, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West--Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, MSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

(Permanent cross div rivalries kept)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I like the program? lol. Didn't know you had to have a wall sized poster of it to appreciate Auburn football! 

It's inspired someone to go an inch harder than they would've done normally, so it has certainly served its purpose. Just not a big school spirit type, and I'm not criticizing anyone who does protect those words with their lives or anything. I just thought it was funny someone would get treated as a miscreant for (by one's perception) going against some words from 100 years ago

I started fall 2017 and would've been gone by spring 2021, but had to take one semester off. I took quite a few 15+ hours semesters though (which was part of the reason I got burned out lol)

That was just my subjective perspective on it. I had about enough of the pre-game chants somewhere after being cooked alive just to lose to this rando, Joe Burrow, during the 2018 LSU game though. That's one of a few disappointing moments from 2018 on that I likely mentally associated with the actual traditions that I shouldn't have. 

We had quarters when I was there and I loved it. Went really fast with lots of information to absorb but I liked it that way.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, toddc said:

We had quarters when I was there and I loved it. Went really fast with lots of information to absorb but I liked it that way.

Totally agree I loved the quarter system

• Like 4

Dodd reporting it as well.  SEC will still be fine on their own, but this could leverage against them for further expansion or being head of table when NCAA crumbles, I would think. 

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

So, OSU/UM, Oregon/USC, and Clemson/FSU/UNC/Miami...that would make for the weakest division if all joined the SEC. It looks like the minor league is starting to round into shape.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 7:25 AM, augolf1716 said:

Totally agree I loved the quarter system

Me as well. You did have to stay on top of things because it moved fast though

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:25 PM, Tony4AU said:

Is there a magic number to make conference realignment stop?

16?

18?

20?

When the money stops getting bigger. 

16 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Boy, poor ole Big 12. They could just fall into a totally irrelevant conference, even if they join with some others.

Once the Big10, ACC, and PAC12 merge, that will pretty much kill them.

It also will be interesting, how they could work in their schedules some of these long road trips. That's some hefty travel costs, if you are playing an ACC team vs a PAC 12 team. And even some of the Big10 teams would be adding tremendous travel costs playing on the west coast.