‘It’s no longer about tradition’

aubiefifty

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

So which ones sucked?

How about the tradition of not allowing black athletes in southern colleges for starters.  That one sucked.

the tradition of under funding women’s athletics sucked

if both Auburn and Georgia Tech thought their traditional rivalry was a good thing and important to the universities culture they simply could have scheduled competitions, they chose not to do it.  It wasn’t because it was bad, it was just insignificant and location was more a factor than anything.   

as far as my comment, the problem with most people now is that they have to go to extremes such as if it wasn’t good it must suck.  I hate that.

57 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

How about the tradition of not allowing black athletes in southern colleges for starters.  That one sucked.

the tradition of under funding women’s athletics sucked

if both Auburn and Georgia Tech thought their traditional rivalry was a good thing and important to the universities culture they simply could have scheduled competitions, they chose not to do it.  It wasn’t because it was bad, it was just insignificant and location was more a factor than anything.   

as far as my comment, the problem with most people now is that they have to go to extremes such as if it wasn’t good it must suck.  I hate that.

You hate it, yet you do it. You make a broad generic comment with little relevance to what’s actually being discussed. Certainly no one in this thread  is lamenting the loss of the first two things you mentioned.

And I’m not doubting college football will survive and make money. But the game has strayed substantially from its roots and it’s function on a campus. Things are gained (in this case mostly money) and things are lost. In big money football players have every right to not be the only ones left out. But having individual players focus on how they maximize personal profits changes the game in ways we haven’t seen play out yet. It actually makes college football less team focused than professional football where quiet, introverted team focused offensive tackles get $70m contracts because their value to the team is recognized and compensated. 

Having rivalries against schools students friends attend creates excitement on campus before, during and after a game. Yes, administrators make decisions about what games to keep in many instances. Administrators decided Auburn and Alabama shouldn’t play for decades. Administrators decided to deprive students and fans of the UT and A&M game even though the A&M fight song focuses on playing UT. A&M thinks they made a good business decision— maybe they did. But in many less tangible ways the game suffers. And us older folks can be easily dismissed, but many of us have gained some understanding of deeper issues thru life experience.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You hate it, yet you do it. You make a broad generic comment with little relevance to what’s actually being discussed. Certainly no one in this thread  is lamenting the loss of the first two things you mentioned.

And I’m not doubting college football will survive and make money. But the game has strayed substantially from its roots and it’s function on a campus. Things are gained (in this case mostly money) and things are lost. In big money football players have every right to not be the only ones left out. But having individual players focus on how they maximize personal profits changes the game in ways we haven’t seen play out yet. It actually makes college football less team focused than professional football where quiet, introverted team focused offensive tackles get $70m contracts because their value to the team is recognized and compensated. 

Having rivalries against schools students friends attend creates excitement on campus before, during and after a game. Yes, administrators make decisions about what games to keep in many instances. Administrators decided Auburn and Alabama shouldn’t play for decades. Administrators decided to deprive students and fans of the UT and A&M game even though the A&M fight song focuses on playing UT. A&M thinks they made a good business decision— maybe they did. But in many less tangible ways the game suffers. And us older folks can be easily dismissed, but many of us have gained some understanding of deeper issues thru life experience.

Traditions can be fun, don’t get me wrong.  Some on this board probably are more than likely lamenting the two things I mentioned, sadly.  I went to Auburn in the late 90’s and I was shocked by how alumni and some students spoke of black athletes as more of a commodity than part of the university and thought we shouldn’t be wasting money on women’s sports.  Again sadly.  Sent their daughters there to find a good husband type.
       traditions and rivalries in all honesty should be separated.   I find most rivalries are taken too far and bring out the worst in too many people and are taken too seriously.   Many of lives ruined or damaged because of them.   

THe tradition of Auburn not having fun alternative uniforms for the players, I will say sucks.

The tradition of the Eagle flying before games is the best in all of college football.

The tradition of crowds doing the wave sucked, but was cool for a moment, just needed fifteen minutes of fame!!!!

23 hours ago, auburnphan said:

The tradition of crowds doing the wave sucked, but was cool for a moment, just needed fifteen minutes of fame!!!!

If you think the wave was a tradition you fail to understand the meaning of the word "tradition".

College football has always been changing and it isn't going to stop. And i think its good for the game to change things up occasionally. Its the constant change we are seeing right now that is the problem. We JUST went through a re-alignment a few years ago. And here we are again. I was actually enjoying the new budding rivalry we had going with A&M. I enjoyed getting to meet their fans and introduce them to our traditions. I never got a chance to go their place but i would have loved to had the chance came up. Then take the LSU rivalry....in the early 2000s that was one of the best games in college football. When i was in school it was the AU LSU game that decided who would win the West each year. I'll be sad to lose both of those games when things re-align next season. So while traditions are good new traditions can always be created and eventually those will be just as good. I understand that if you grew up loving the old rivalries you will miss them and they will not likely be replaced by the new ones. But the next generation of fans that are pumped out each year will love the new traditions just as much as you love the old ones. We just need things to settle down so we can actually get the traditions going....

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

God, you are such a moron.

I really miss @auburn4ever

You call a short-lived fad a tradition and then call me a moron? That's funny. A quick look in your mirror will show you the moron.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You call a short-lived fad a tradition and then call me a moron? That's funny. A quick look in your mirror will show you the moron.

Clearly it was meant as humor with all the exclamations marks, hence why you are a moron.

Come on guys, there’s no reason for name calling and degrading the other guy personally. I love the back and forth but there’s no reason to get so personal.

Archived