Local business selling autographed items

aubiefifty

Local Auburn business to sell autographed items, starting with Bo Nix

By Nathan King2 hrs

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn Art, owned by the great grandson of legendary Auburn football figure Cliff Hare, plans to become the first local Auburn business to sell merchandise autographed by current AU athletes.

The first player to participate? Quarterback Bo Nix.

According to manager and co-owner Emily Hare, Auburn Art, located just past Toomer’s Corner on South College Street, brought in Nix to sign 50 items — pictures, footballs, miniature helmets and more.

The store is waiting on the pictures to be framed and the footballs to be cased. Once those respective items will be available for purchase “soon.”

Chase Moulton, assistant manager at Auburn Art, said he contacted Nix’s agent July 1, the day the NIL bill went into effect, and was able to hash out details to get the junior quarterback in the store — and get Nix paid for his autographs.

“I wanted to be the first Auburn store to have a collegiate signature,” Moulton said.

Nix came in a couple days before SEC Media Days and signed the 50 items.

“It was pretty easy with Bo,” Hare said. “It was just a matter of figuring out a date and a time and making sure we had products he could sign, and that was it.”

Nix was paid a lump sum when he signed the items, Hare said. Part of the agreement with Nix’s agent was for Hare and Auburn Art not to disclose how much the QB made from the deal.

Auburn Art doesn’t want Nix to be the last signature sold, either. The managerial staff hopes to get more deals done in the near future with other recognizable Auburn players.

“I can’t say any names right now but we’re targeting some big names from football and basketball,” Moulton said.

Auburn Art is owned by Cliff Hare, named after his great grandfather who played on Auburn's first football team, taught at the university, served as president of the Southern Conference, had Auburn's Cliff Hare Stadium named exclusively for him from 1949-73, and will have a statue on campus after it was approved by Auburn's Board of Trustees in 2019, with a still-to-be-determined location and construction schedule.

At least publicly, Nix has made the most buzz out of Auburn in NIL, landing a deal on the first day after the bill went into effect with Milo’s Tea Company. He also hosted a quarterback camp with his family last week.

As NIL continued to gain traction toward state-by-state and NCAA approval this summer, Auburn launched SPIRIT, an educational program on brand optimization, financial literacy and social media practices. Players must present monetization opportunities to their respective compliance departments for approval prior to advertising or participating in a partnership.

Other Auburn football players have taken advantage of the new NIL rules with personalized clothing, youth football camps, gaming services, brand endorsements on social media and more.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 3

18 year old freshman Sunni Lee is going to make more money than the whole Auburn and Alabama football teams all put together.  Bo and the guys are gonna be selling autographs,  Milo tea, etc., while Sunni is going to be on the Wheaties box and anywhere else she wants to be raking in $millions.  I understand Simone Biles has made over $4million.  

• Like 8

Nothing against Bo Nix, but is there a market for his signature???? I'd think Miss Lee will reap the awards from her gold medal; and rightfully so....

49 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Say what you want about the football aspect, but there’s no QB anywhere else who has performed like Bo that is eating like he is

Auburn was a fantastic decision for him in one way 

Also too it's very convenient how his name is left out the everything that's wrong about college football discussions....he knew exactly what to say during media day and they don't disclose how much he's making.....meanwhile the QB at bammer is a pos.

NIL is by definition a PR contest. Keeping what you are making private is a smart business decision if disclosure isn’t required. Performance may not dictate it but the QB is the face of any team. Any Auburn player with any name recognition, ie a starter at any position, will be able to make money off of autographs, etc. at Auburn businesses- guarantee you Smoke and OP merch will be very popular 

8 hours ago, weagl1 said:

18 year old freshman Sunni Lee is going to make more money than the whole Auburn and Alabama football teams all put together.  Bo and the guys are gonna be selling autographs,  Milo tea, etc., while Sunni is going to be on the Wheaties box and anywhere else she wants to be raking in $millions.  I understand Simone Biles has made over $4million.  

This! Suni could become the highest paid NIL athlete in America. She now has 1.2M IG followers, adding app 100k followers per day…her “Bronze medal” post from earlier today(!) already has more than 500k likes and nearly 5k comments. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Local business selling autographed items
38 minutes ago, AUreo said:

This! Suni could become the highest paid NIL athlete in America. She now has 1.2M IG followers, adding app 100k followers per day…her “Bronze medal” post from earlier today(!) already has more than 500k likes and nearly 5k comments. 

I have not been able to follow her much the past few days.  Has she, herself, mentioned Auburn yet?  (interviews posts etc.)

I hope she has.   It would be nice if she pumped Auburn a little bit.  Tho she may not now enough about Auburn yet.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also too it's very convenient how his name is left out the everything that's wrong about college football discussions....he knew exactly what to say during media day and they don't disclose how much he's making.....meanwhile the QB at bammer is a pos.

This is me not saying I want this guys money touched in any capacity. I was campaigning for dudes to get their money since I first attended this school and saw how the average athlete was living (which is to say, not lavish) 

But if there was ever someone that should be a poster boy for having their NIL money redistributed and given to other people bro…Opening game that established the “legacy of Bo Nix”…70% of that was Seth. The 2019 Iron Bowl that went a long way towards giving that legacy another win of value. There’s like 3 people that deserve to be the face of that game before him IMO

Redistributing money is NOT something I believe in, again, but if you ever see that come out of one of our mouths in reference to Bryce…whoo boy

• Dislike 1

And shoutouts to some of those investors who are buying these items hoping that Bo finally takes that leap and becomes a star. I hope he becomes that guy, the town is going to make a ton of money if so 

7 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I have not been able to follow her much the past few days.  Has she, herself, mentioned Auburn yet?  (interviews posts etc.)

I hope she has.   It would be nice if she pumped Auburn a little bit.  Tho she may not now enough about Auburn yet.

Yes, tons of coverage and interviews. ABC mentioned that Suni is headed to Auburn on national tv and NY Times and WSJ have published interviews with her mentioning Auburn + some social media pictures including some Auburn references.

Press coverage:

NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/sports/olympics/sunisa-lee-gymnastics-auburn.html

WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/olympics-sunisa-lee-auburn-gymnastics-11627650399

Social media: 

https://m.facebook.com/AuburnGym/posts/363869531771523

TokyoTiger: https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/177398-auburn-incoming-freshman-earns-spot-on-us-olympic-team/?do=findComment&comment=3404407

NIL:

https://www.al.com/auburn/2021/07/lets-talk-7-figures-how-olympic-gold-impacts-suni-lees-nil-earnings-potential-at-auburn.html

other: I think season tickets are mostly sold out and 5-star senior elite Olivia Greaves recently announced her commitment to Auburn. Also, Auburn now has a shot landing potential superstar 5-star elite and Paris 2024 hopeful Konnor McClain who currently favors Auburn and LSU.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AUreo said:

NY Times and WSJ have published interviews with her mentioning Auburn + some social media pictures including some Auburn references.

Social media: 

https://m.facebook.com/AuburnGym/posts/363869531771523

TokyoTiger: https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/177398-auburn-incoming-freshman-earns-spot-on-us-olympic-team/?do=findComment&comment=3404407

Thanks,  That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Sorry. This whole thing is messed up. These paid players may now be reluctant to sign for the fans / kids  who cant afford to go pay for them. Some may be bound by contract and unable to sign anything. 

I havent seen any AU Olympians mention AU or give a War Eagle. I could be wrong. 

Hope everyone's keeping good records so when the IRS comes calling we're not losing athletes due to tax problems.  Can they deduct the cost of going to class, practices, games, etc. as a business expense?  Are scholarships now considered income?  Too many college and professional athletes get into financial troubles, I'm hoping AU is keeping close tabs on these guys. Should Bryce forego his scholly and pay his own way now that he's knockin' down almost $1,000,000?

I wouldn’t pay for any current players autograph period. What a waste of $$. As far as a player earning money based on skills (or lack thereof) and/or stats, that really has nothing to do with it. It’s NIL, not performance, and those two don’t items don’t have to go hand in hand. Lot of ways to be a successful marketer of oneself other than actual results. Hard to wrap your brain around I know. The times definitely are changing.