Bobby Bowden has pancreatic cancer

aubiefifty

Terry Bowden reveals Bobby Bowden has pancreatic cancer

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com
3 minutes

Bobby Bowden

Legendary Florida State coach Bobby Bowden has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his son Terry said Thursday. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)AP

Bobby Bowden has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his son Terry said Thursday.

Bobby Bowden, the legendary Florida State football coach and Birmingham native, announced Wednesday he had been diagnosed with an undisclosed “terminal medical condition.” The 91-year-old Birmingham native is a three-time cancer survivor, twice beating skin cancer and once prostate cancer.

Terry Bowden, now head coach at Louisiana-Monroe, announced the specifics of his father’s illness during an appearance at Sun Belt Conference Media Day in New Orleans Thursday.

“We’ve known for about 10 days,” Terry Bowden said, via ESPN. “We’ve been preparing for this. We know when you have pancreatic cancer, which is what the disease is, you’re probably talking months, not years, so we know that. We just think we’ve got some more good days ahead, and we’re going to enjoy those together.

“I would plead that all people would respect the fact he needs to rest when he’s up. He doesn’t need a lot of phone calls, or a lot of people talking on the phone. You know my dad; he has never turned down an interview in his life. He’ll be on his deathbed [doing] an interview the last minute he does it. But, that’s Bobby Bowden.”

In his statement released to the Tallahassee Democrat on Wednesday, Bobby Bowden said he was “at peace” with his diagnosis.

“I’ve always tried to serve God’s purpose for my life, on and off the field, and I am prepared for what is to come,” Bowden said. “My wife Ann and our family have been life’s greatest blessing. I am at peace.”

Bobby Bowden grew up in Birmingham, and played football at Howard College (now Samford University), graduating in 1953. After a stint as head coach at his alma mater and several stops as an assistant, he coached at West Virginia from 1970-75 before taking over a moribund Florida State program in 1976.

Bowden won 316 games and two national championships in 34 seasons with the Seminoles, and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006. He ranks second all-time among FBS coaches in victories with 377, behind only Joe Paterno’s 409.

Bowden and his wife, Ann — also a Birmingham native — have been married for 72 years. They have six children (including coaching sons Terry, Tommy and Jeff) and 21 grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

Archived