The biggest trap game on schedule

aubiefifty

The biggest trap game on Auburn's schedule in 2021

Lance Dawe
2-3 minutes

The trap game. It’s always on the schedule somewhere. The game where the better team walks in sleeping, looking ahead to a tougher matchup in the following week.

Is there a game that Auburn could be sleeping in this season?

I think for this question, it’s good to look at all the road games Auburn plays in this season, because of Nix’s struggles on the road. Those games are Penn State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and South Carolina.

According to ESPN’s FPI, which is almost a joke, but is still interesting to look at, Auburn is favored in two of those games: Arkansas and South Carolina.

If Auburn’s offense has not taken the step that they need to, Arkansas is the game that Auburn could potentially trip up in but shouldn’t. Auburn’s own offensive ineptitude is what kept the Tigers out of a few road games last season. Arkansas took Auburn down to the wire in 2020 and should have won that game had it not been for questionable officiating. One of the things that made Arkansas competitive was Feleipe Franks. Franks was 22 of 30 for 318 and four touchdowns. New quarterback KJ Jefferson won’t be a world-beater, but he’ll be competent. Throw in the fact that this contest for the Tigers is on the road.

Offensively, Arkansas brings back some receivers that intrigue me, with star receiver Treylon Burks and 6-5 Trey Knox, as well as a backfield that I think will be above average in 2021.

They also bring back four starters on the offensive line. The defense is bad, but they bring back nine starters, which includes one of the SEC’s best linebacking cores. With so many starters returning, regardless of the quality of play last season, they could surprise somebody. That somebody could be Auburn. 

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. 

• WarTiger changed the title to The biggest trap game on schedule

Archived