Has Georgia eclipsed Alabama as the primary rival?

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

UGA is our daddy.  It’s weird . A friend of mine made an interesting point..it’s like Auburn under our previous coach was built to beat Bama but just didn’t have the pieces to match up with other top tier schools. A lot of this has to do with match ups. Last year we didn’t belong on the field with them.

GA has honestly been better built to stop Gus’s offense than Alabama during their respective latest hires. They still have those huge, hulking linebackers/edge rushers, and still resembles a early 10s Bama D. They also seem to have a more consistent level of DB play than Bama (sometimes they’re better, sometimes they’re worse) 

The good passing teams in-conf kill their bump coverage, but I don’t think we’ve been that since 2016. Maybe 2017, but Kirby sniffed thru the side to side passing game once they didn’t have to commit extra men to the edges for KJ 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

GA has honestly been better built to stop Gus’s offense than Alabama during their respective latest hires. They still have those huge, hulking linebackers/edge rushers, and still resembles a early 10s Bama D. They also seem to have a more consistent level of DB play than Bama (sometimes they’re better, sometimes they’re worse) 

The good passing teams in-conf kill their bump coverage, but I don’t think we’ve been that since 2016. Maybe 2017, but Kirby sniffed thru the side to side passing game once they didn’t have to commit extra men to the edges for KJ 

You are Right about that! Honestly it seems like they match up equally or better than us in every position except QB. I oddly believe on paper we should have the better QBs. To this day, I cannot believe they let Justin Fields walk. They would’ve been perennial NCs but who knows with the coaching staff. It seems like they want their QBs to play a style of ball.

38 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well, in all honesty, a couple of those times We beat Bama recently was because they just purely choked.

The 2019 game in particular. There's really no way we're supposed to win that game. If the two teams from that year played ten times the turds win nine of them. 

UGA. Since Richt's arrival in 2001, the recruiting well that used to be the state of Georgia, with few exceptions, has become the iron curtain. Until then, the series was close, highly competitive, and Auburn regularly and reliably siphoned away good to great talent from there. Since then, Auburn is 6-15 (4-6 home, 2-8 away, 0-1 ATL). 9 of those losses by more than 7 points (2 at AU, 6 at UGA, 1 at ATL). 7 losses where Auburn scored 7 or fewer points. That's dominance.

Furthermore, I can hand pick at least 5 losses/ties to them during this period, and prior, which directly ruined SEC title hopes, and muted the impact of the Iron Bowl in terms of championship aspirations (1986, 1994, 2002, 2006, 2017 SECC).

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Well, in all honesty, a couple of those times We beat Bama recently was because they just purely choked.

The 2019 game in particular. There's really no way we're supposed to win that game. If the two teams from that year played ten times the turds win nine of them. 

Probably yeah, but Mac Jones was more of a gun slinger/less careful with the ball during his brief 2019 stint. Those games shaped him into a better thrower 

I think if there’s a timeline where Tutt doesn’t blow his ankle out early and can stay within 10 yards of Waddle, we also would win then. There had to be a lot of stress on everyone’s mind every time that matchup occurred. 

Also a game that I thought would straight up end DT’s plight as a NFL prospect. Not a great one 

but imagine a world where we still had CD and Dean lining up along with Noah and Roger. 2 starting SB CBs, a first round talent and a potential firstie against 4 1st round guys.

23 hours ago, gr82be said:

Bama will always be our primary rival. Primary obstruction is what I'd call Georgia. When it comes to Georgia we've beaten ourselves as often as they've beaten us, at least it seems that way. I do believe that situation has been addressed and corrected. 

Well said. LSU was that team for a long stretch, particularly the Tubs years.

16 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

the entire coverage of the sports segment be all about GA, while Tech the local school barely gets mentioned. (Sorry Golf.) I know Golf hates Tech, but after years of watching them get ignored in their own city my feelings aren't quite the same.

Its OK.................I'll let it slide this time

They have owned us so much lately it’s hard to even call it a rivalry any more.  We have just been a whipping boy as far as they are concerned.  

• WarTiger changed the title to Has Georgia eclipsed Alabama as the primary rival?
3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

They have owned us so much lately it’s hard to even call it a rivalry any more.  We have just been a whipping boy as far as they are concerned.  

hard to disagree there 

Guck Feorgia!

On 7/4/2021 at 11:46 AM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Respectfully disagree. If he doesn't have a goal of being closer to 75-90% vs them then he's not the one for the job.

That's great locker room talk, but realistically we aren't on the level of Bama and Georgia yet, and haven't been for awhile. Auburn needs to do the small things to first get up to a competitive level on  more consistent basis before we worry about being world beaters. 

To answer the question, no, Alabama will always be the 'primary' rival, but I do probably "hate" UGA more because of their fans and coaches. Ironically, I think Alabama winning so much has made Bama fans more tolerable just because it's all becoming a bit 'normal' and maybe a bit boring for a lot of their fans in my opinion 

On 7/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Not so sure about that. We had an answer every time they scored. One thing Gus seemed to be able to do was find a way to put Saban in a position that he was uncomfortable with.

Not being originally from Alabama I HATE thUGA with a degree of passion that equals very few. When Auburn and thUGA were playing "nice neighbors" during the 80's I was attending Clemson/tgUGA games where fights broke out in the parking lot and under the stands. I once watched a group of leg humpers totally destroy the car they drove up from georgia in because David Treadwell kicked the game winner for the second year in a row. 

I get why bammer is the main rival but for me it will always play second fiddle to that crew of dawgs.

No. As cliche as this has become, my generation probably sees Georgia in a different light than Gen X and Boomers (Ronnie Brown hit, Blackout, Soulja Boy, Cam, Nick Fairley, Prayer in Jordan-Hare, 2017 SECCG, etc) Way more hatred than used to exist. More bitterness on Auburn’s side now. 

Auburn’s piss poor performance against UGA in the past 15 years is one of if not the most embarrassing thing about this program (coupled with 10 straight losses in Baton Rouge). Completely unacceptable. 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:40 PM, slyinsocal said:

UGA. Since Richt's arrival in 2001, the recruiting well that used to be the state of Georgia, with few exceptions, has become the iron curtain. Until then, the series was close, highly competitive, and Auburn regularly and reliably siphoned away good to great talent from there. Since then, Auburn is 6-15 (4-6 home, 2-8 away, 0-1 ATL). 9 of those losses by more than 7 points (2 at AU, 6 at UGA, 1 at ATL). 7 losses where Auburn scored 7 or fewer points. That's dominance.

Furthermore, I can hand pick at least 5 losses/ties to them during this period, and prior, which directly ruined SEC title hopes, and muted the impact of the Iron Bowl in terms of championship aspirations (1986, 1994, 2002, 2006, 2017 SECC).

This cut like a knife. 15 year old Woodford would be crying at this. 

No but yes. No in that Alabama will always be #1 and will most likely always be between us and the SECCG.

Yes in that I don't think we can afford UGA to become the powerhouse that they are becoming for recruiting. Bama has won so many that it really doesn't matter anymore. If UGA continues their ascent, we will find it even harder to get who we need. 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

No but yes. No in that Alabama will always be #1 and will most likely always be between us and the SECCG.

Yes in that I don't think we can afford UGA to become the powerhouse that they are becoming for recruiting. Bama has won so many that it really doesn't matter anymore. If UGA continues their ascent, we will find it even harder to get who we need. 

You are saying that Al/UGA will never cycle down which history doesn’t support.

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

You are saying that Al/UGA will never cycle down which history doesn’t support.

I'm saying Alabama could ride this high for another 50 years and it won't change us because the landscape has learned to live with Alabama dominating. If UGA takes an Alabama-like path and stays at the top while we consistently get whipped by them, we are screwed on the recruiting trail for years to come. 

To me, all of that means that while UGA is not our primary rival, the urgency of beating them could be higher due to the recruiting implications. 

6 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'm saying Alabama could ride this high for another 50 years and it won't change us because the landscape has learned to live with Alabama dominating. If UGA takes an Alabama-like path and stays at the top while we consistently get whipped by them, we are screwed on the recruiting trail for years to come. 

To me, all of that means that while UGA is not our primary rival, the urgency of beating them could be higher due to the recruiting implications. 

what has Georgia done with ALL of that scary talent they have? from Richt to Kirby it is said that they are equal to bama they can't beat them they can't beat fla like they have abused us we had a clown as a head coach who refused to listen to anybody and that has been Auburn problem with UGA is leadership.

Archived