Best corner tandem?

cole256

Of course I'm not going to know about guys who played in the 70's and stuff but I'm a big secondary guy and I just had a thought.......who do you guys think were our best pair of corners? 

If Jamaal Dean and Carlton Davis were together, that would probably be my vote. Can't remember if they were same time though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

Of course I'm not going to know about guys who played in the 70's and stuff but I'm a big secondary guy and I just had a thought.......who do you guys think were our best pair of corners? 

Trying to think the last 20 years and it seems like we pretty consistently have one really good CB and then another guy that is either young, up and coming, etc but hasn't broken out.

Recently, Like 2017 we had Carlton and Jamel Dean. I don't recall Dean being as good in '18 as he was in' 19. Noah Iggy was younger with Dean and McCreary was younger opposite Noah.

Don't remember who was opposite Carlos Rodgers. 

Between 07-09 we had David Irons. Pat Lee's, McFadden, Wilhite, Jerraus Powers. Some combo of them together like 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Trying to think the last 20 years and it seems like we pretty consistently have one really good CB and then another guy that is either young, up and coming, etc but hasn't broken out.

Recently, Like 2017 we had Carlton and Jamel Dean. I don't recall Dean being as good in '18 as he was in' 19. Noah Iggy was younger with Dean and McCreary was younger opposite Noah.

Don't remember who was opposite Carlos Rodgers. 

Between 07-09 we had David Irons. Pat Lee's, McFadden, Wilhite, Jerraus Powers. Some combo of them together like 

Montae pitts was who was opposite carlos, I believe 

• Like 3

Calvin Jackson and Chris Shelling in 1993.

The only QB that season that passed on them was Wuerffel and he ended up throwing two gigantic INTs to Jackson and Shelling that were the biggest difference in the game. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Montae pitts was who was opposite carlos, I believe 

IIRC, David Irons was injured in 04 and why Pitts (Fr) started. Irons and Rogers would have been a helluva duo. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Irons’ last season was 06.

Gotta be Jackson and Shelling for me. There have been some good combos but when I saw the thread title they are the first ones that came to mind. 

• Like 2

Irons and Lee in 06 were pretty good. Irons and Rogers in 04 would have been unfair - Montae was ……ehhhh. 

I will agree with Viper that Schelling and Jackson in 93 may well be the best duo. 

Maybe I’m just being too optimistic but this year’s likely duo of McCreary and Dreshun Miller might be one of the better duos of the last 20 years if they stay healthy.

• Like 2

I really liked Powers and wilhite.....they were very active....and irons was a very good corner but powers was much better than him that irons was a lil bro to him

I will say I'm biased as powers is a good friend and also rip to my guy Zach Gilbert. If there was ever a case to look at mental health it's him. Zach wasn't your typical athlete story, he was very successful in the corporate world and he had the world in his hand.....but there was still so much pain there...I'm getting off tangent and sad missing my fam but thanks for the replies guys

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

In 1972, Langner and Beck were good pair.  I believe our D held opponents to less than a 50% completion percentage.

Dave was a much better DB then David.......Dave had football smarts and instincts were David had good instincts but was out of position a good bit. jmo

On 7/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, Viper said:

IIRC, David Irons was injured in 04 and why Pitts (Fr) started. Irons and Rogers would have been a helluva duo. 

Man, I forgot about that.  As sick as that D was, with Irons opposite Rogers that would have been ridiculous!!!

• Like 1

Jackson and Schilling were both still here in ‘94 too, right?   I’m thinking through who all had interceptions against LSWho that year.  Thought I remembered those 2 along with B Rob and Otis.   I can’t believe that’s been nearly 30 years ago!?!?  Some of you guys are getting old!😂

• Like 1

I like David Irons and Carlos Rogers. With Rosegreen and Herring made for a solid secondary. I think Pat Lee was the corner for the season? That was a heck of a year. Just read the David and Carlos didn't tandem up, but that would be my favorite.

Carlton Davis and Jamel Dean were awesome as well because we went through so many years with undersized corners and panicking every time the ball was in the air! Those guys were tall and you never had to worry about big mistakes. Way more fun with good corners!

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:00 AM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Jackson and Schilling were both still here in ‘94 too, right?   I’m thinking through who all had interceptions against LSWho that year.  Thought I remembered those 2 along with B Rob and Otis.   I can’t believe that’s been nearly 30 years ago!?!?  Some of you guys are getting old!😂

Jackson flunked out after 93 as a SOPH. I'm still steamed he did. Can you imagine had he played in 94 as great as Robinson and Shelling improved in one season?

IMO, 94, as a unit, was the best secondary in AU history, even without Jackson. With him? Holy cow. Dell McGee was a quick CB, but nowhere even close to the instincts and ballhawk that Jackson was. Plus Fred Smith returned in 94 as the nickleback. Jackson, Smith, Robinson, Shelling and Alvis? O-M-G.

Ken Alvis was better in pass coverage than Otis Mounds was. Two pick sixes in 94. Mounds played sparingly in 94 after his season-ending knee injury v Georgia 93.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 3:12 PM, Randman5000 said:

I like David Irons and Carlos Rogers. With Rosegreen and Herring made for a solid secondary. I think Pat Lee was the corner for the season?

Montae Pitts.

Pat Lee was a backup in 04 & 05. Made 4 starts in 06. Full-time starter in 07.

• Like 1