UGA Transfer WR Demetris Robertson Commits to Auburn!!!

Zeek

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

I would have posted the article but the AJC put it behind the paywall.

Gotcha.  Figured it was just writers hating on AU as usual 

Kirby Smart, JT Daniels praise new Auburn WR Demetris Robertson

ByNATHAN KING 7 hours ago

Share15 Comments

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey Joins CBS Sports HQ

It's rare that a player from an arch-rival program will switch sides of the rivalry during his or her college career, but it's been done a handful of times in recent memory between Georgia and Auburn.

Quarterback Nick Marshall, who led Gus Malzahn's breakneck offenses in 2013 and 2014, is the biggest name that comes to mind. Safety Tray Matthews, who was a two-year starter in Auburn's secondary and was also involved as a defender in Marshall's touchdown pass to Ricardo Louis in the Prayer in Jordan-Hare, also made the move from Athens to the Plains.

The newest transfer to convert from Bulldog to Tiger is wide receiver Demetris Robertson, who committed to Auburn on July 8.

Robertson began his career at Cal after he was the No. 1 wide receiver recruit in the country in the 2016 class. The Peach State native transferred home to Kirby Smart's program in 2018, and will now close out his career in the orange and blue.

During Georgia's time at SEC Media Days on Tuesday, Smart recalled when Nick Saban and Alabama's staff were recruiting Robertson in the final years of Smart's tenure as the Crimson Tide's defensive coordinator (2008-15).

Robertson did commit to Alabama at one point but backed off his pledge in the spring of 2015. Smart was hired at Georgia that December and continued to recruit Robertson, though the five-star receiver eventually chose Cal over his home-state Bulldogs.

Third time was the charm for Smart, however, when Robertson hit the transfer portal after two years at Cal.

"D-Rob is a tremendous young man," Smart said Tuesday. "He's a kid that I feel like I've known — I mean, I can go all the way back to the years at Alabama when we were recruiting D-Rob as a young player. Then I come to Georgia, continue to recruit him, don't get him, get him by transfer, and now he's going to graduate this summer and be able to go to Auburn."

Robertson, at 6 feet and 190 pounds, looked all the part of a five-star prospect his freshman season at Cal, catching 50 balls for 767 yards and seven touchdowns. But a leg injury ended his second season with the Golden Bears after just two games in 2017. He received a medical redshirt and transferred to Georgia.

In 19 games over the past two seasons with the Bulldogs, Robertson wasn't an elite weapon but still contributed in a starting-adjacent role in Georgia's passing game. He caught 42 passes at UGA for 443 yards and three touchdowns.

"A good friend of mine and a great player," Georgia quarterback JT Daniels said. "I can't say enough good about D-Rob. Since he's been here, he and I have been good friends and really close. He's a good person, a great player. We wish — I don't think anybody at Georgia will tell you anything other than we wish the best for him."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

15COMMENTS

Robertson now becomes Auburn's most experienced pass-catcher by a huge margin. Auburn's young wide receivers return 23 receptions from last season; Robertson himself has 99 catches in his career.

"I'm so excited for D-Rob because he's a great young man," Smart said. "This young man did everything the right way. He's got a lot of speed. He's a vertical threat. I know (Mike) Bobo and those guys at Auburn are excited to get him."

I am not a big Kirby fan but I have to give him credit for being honest and saying what a great young man Robertson is and that he thinks he will help Auburn.  I don't know what Robertson will do on the field but I am glad that he will provide Senior leadership and will represent Auburn well as a student athlete. I have to be honest I am really hoping for a breakout season. I can't put a finger on it my brain tells we me not to expect a very good season but my gut tells me that we will surprise the SEC this year and have a very solid season and that this young man will play a part in it.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, WFE12 said:

Off topic, and not really relevant in the football forum, but KD Johnson is a SG. He has the ability to play the point if injuries force the issue, but he's supposed to start at the 2 this year, and I expect he would be the third or fourth guy to get a crack at PG if the injury bug does visit.

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not a big Kirby fan but I have to give him credit for being honest and saying what a great young man Robertson is and that he thinks he will help Auburn.  I don't know what Robertson will do on the field but I am glad that he will provide Senior leadership and will represent Auburn well as a student athlete. I have to be honest I am really hoping for a breakout season. I can't put a finger on it my brain tells we me not to expect a very good season but my gut tells me that we will surprise the SEC this year and have a very solid season and that this young man will play a part in it.

Something about this whole situation has left me feeling like Robertson is going to have a good year, but not so much of a breakout year because I expect him to be 2nd or 3rd on the team in receiving.

Of course, provided the line holds up okay, I expect the passing yardage to go up, as well as being more thoroughly spread around. I wouldn't be too surprised to see four receivers with 500 yards through the air this season.