Sporting News ranks college football coaches 1-130

peashooter

3 hours ago, peashooter said:

They're right with #1 & 2 of course but they lost credibility when I saw #15. 

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

but they lost credibility when I saw #15. 

It took that long?!?!  I was questioning their sanity at #4, by #5 they had lost me completely.  😄 

Obviously these things are incredibly subjective and worthless, other than something for internet message boards to argue about.   Any list you can come up with has the same level of credibility, which is zero!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It took that long?!?!  I was questioning their sanity at #4, by #5 they had lost me completely.  😄 

Obviously these things are incredibly subjective and worthless, other than something for internet message boards to argue about.   Any list you can come up with has the same level of credibility, which is zero!

+-1000 this was a complete joke #35 Harsin #36 Gus REALLY!! that to me was a shot at Auburn IMOP

56 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

+-1000 this was a complete joke #35 Harsin #36 Gus REALLY!! that to me was a shot at Auburn IMOP

It is a slap at AU. We are supposed to be a top 15 type job. The guy we had is considered 36 ( probably correct) and the guy we are getting is 35. Harsin was 44 last year, so he got a bump for coming to AU, but to me it indicates that people outside of AU are skeptical about this hire.

I don't really have a problem with this list other than Harbaugh.  To me Michigan is a Texas, USC type school that shouldn't struggle based off their tradition.  I though Harbaugh was going to do somethings after his first 2 years but I think he's flamed out.  I don't think Harsin's ranking is any slight against Auburn or Harsin.  Harsin has plenty of opportunity to move up this made up list.  I'm also surprised Gus isn't ranked higher based on the other coaches.  2 SEC title games, 1 championship, 1 Natty appearance heading to probably the top group of 5 school with a fairly potent roster.  He's at a huge school that is embracing football in the heart of one of the easiest places to recruit.  If Gus actually recruits Olinemen, he probably will tear it up down there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

Nahh. Now if they had put Gus AHEAD of Harsin, then it would be a slap in the face. lol.

I lost cred in the list when I saw Brian Kelly at #4, and Day below him. Day is a much better coach than Kelly. 

Harsin at 35 is about right, not knowing him, but  I thought he could be higher with his success at BSU. 

43 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I lost cred in the list when I saw Brian Kelly at #4, and Day below him. Day is a much better coach than Kelly. 

Kelly at 4 is a laugh with the schedule ND has each year and with the recruits they sign.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

It is a slap at AU. We are supposed to be a top 15 type job. The guy we had is considered 36 ( probably correct) and the guy we are getting is 35. Harsin was 44 last year, so he got a bump for coming to AU, but to me it indicates that people outside of AU are skeptical about this hire.

basically they are saying we only improve our situation by 1 spot give me a frigging break

29 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

basically they are saying we only improve our situation by 1 spot give me a frigging break

Its actually worse than that. Last year Gus was ranked 13th, so we dropped 21 places

7 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I always had read and thought  we were a top 15 job. Maybe not.

I think we’re a top 15 program definitely, top 15 job with the difficulty and expectations of the position…eh 

but does this list really reflect one way or the other what we are? I don’t think so 

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Its actually worse than that. Last year Gus was ranked 13th, so we dropped 21 places

Not really. If Gus had stayed he would have dropped a lot from 13th. 

And I don't look at it from a school standpoint as to the ranking. It's more about the coach's rank as to how good and successful they are... IMO. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

so he got a bump for coming to AU, but to me it indicates that people outside of AU are skeptical about this hire

I wish more of us got this. This is a show and prove hire to your average neutral viewer, and it’s probably gonna be like that for a couple years while we’re trying to reverse course. Many of us also understand that, but some people seem legit conflicted why someone like a Gus, who from the outside, consistently stayed in the top 12 recruiting, had Saban’s number and kept Auburn relevant every couple seasons, is adored more by those same publications 

Maybe getting to see how the hot dogs are prepared alters the perspective for some of us,  I’ll acquiesce to that 

Never understand why some of you let things like this rile you up. At the end of the day, the results will speak for themselves 

6 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I don’t believe it is a slap at AU at all. This is a qualitative list of coaches, so all of Harsin’s consideration was what was accomplished in the past ( not potential). It does seem to suggest a slap at Malzahn as he was much higher last year ( unless last year’s efforts brought him down (as well they should have)).

• Like 3

There is no reason for us to not be 20th at lowest. No, we are not a top 10, but 15-16 is about right. So far I am obviously leaning into thinking we made a mistake with Harsin--I have never felt this bad about the future of our program.

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

So far I am obviously leaning into thinking we made a mistake with Harsin--I have never felt this bad about the future of our program.

Now don't be acting like you were always there when he becomes successful over here lol.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, Hank2020 said:

I don’t believe it is a slap at AU at all. This is a qualitative list of coaches, so all of Harsin’s consideration was what was accomplished in the past ( not potential). It does seem to suggest a slap at Malzahn as he was much higher last year ( unless last year’s efforts brought him down (as well they should have)).

To me though, these are the exact reasons that it is a slap at AU; based on past accomplishments he is considered the 35th best coach, and before being hired at AU he was the 44th best. While the list is top heavy with the traditional powers, there are many on the list that are ranked above Harsin that are accomplishing a lot at mid tier schools that you could compare to Boise. I draw from this, that those outside of the AU world are unsure about this hire. They believe that Harsin's pedigree does not particular equate to success. My concern is that recruits will look at him the same way. This is why I believe Harsin has to have quick success. The thought process of it will take 3 years or so, will get the snowball rolling in the wrong direction. JMO though.

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now don't be acting like you were always there when he becomes successful over here lol.

Deal.

4 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

To me though, these are the exact reasons that it is a slap at AU; based on past accomplishments he is considered the 35th best coach, and before being hired at AU he was the 44th best. While the list is top heavy with the traditional powers, there are many on the list that are ranked above Harsin that are accomplishing a lot at mid tier schools that you could compare to Boise. I draw from this, that those outside of the AU world are unsure about this hire. They believe that Harsin's pedigree does not particular equate to success. My concern is that recruits will look at him the same way. This is why I believe Harsin has to have quick success. The thought process of it will take 3 years or so, will get the snowball rolling in the wrong direction. JMO though.

bingo! years ago Phillip Marshall said it best, Auburn is not welcome to the party and that was a smear ranking to try to under value Auburn. Harsin record and tenure as a head coach is better than any previous head football coach Auburn has hired. Auburn has been so predictable in the way that they do business and now this is totally different and they know it, so, to get ahead of the play on the field lets not talked them up because we do not want you here, so if we struggle early then they can say, see, I told you so. Go back to last year drink at mizzo, Pittman at ark, did not get devalued like Harsin has, and Harsin has been a head coach much longer then the both of them????????

On 6/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, 80Tiger said:

Again, this is not a ranking of the colleges but the coaches.

Do you realize Harsin is the highest rated 'New' coach in the survey? They could have put anyone else above him if they had thought the 'coach' would be highly successful, such as Heupel going to UT, but they didn't.

Do you realize also that most of those coaches above him, have either been very successful at a P5 conference currently or in their past coaching stints? (Look at the SEC for ex. Leach and Kiffin are above him).

In a sense they felt like Harsin is trending up...from 45 to 35 from his past to Auburn. Now, if he is successful, I bet he jumps back into that top 15 quickly. 

This is not JUST about Auburn. It's about coaches AND the school. 

On 6/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, Hank2020 said:

Exactly.  This is just a listing compiled by one guy, Bill Bender, an assoicate editor at Sporting News.  The ridiculousness of someone "ranking" college coaches (out to 130, no less) is only superceded by anyone willing to believe it means anything.  Not a slap at all.  This is a slap:  

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Again, this is not a ranking of the colleges but the coaches.

Do you realize Harsin is the highest rated 'New' coach in the survey? They could have put anyone else above him if they had thought the 'coach' would be highly successful, such as Heupel going to UT, but they didn't.

Do you realize also that most of those coaches above him, have either been very successful at a P5 conference currently or in their past coaching stints? (Look at the SEC for ex. Leach and Kiffin are above him).

In a sense they felt like Harsin is trending up...from 45 to 35 from his past to Auburn. Now, if he is successful, I bet he jumps back into that top 15 quickly. 

This is not JUST about Auburn. It's about coaches AND the school. 

No one said it was a ranking of the schools. The slap is that Auburn a top 15 job could only hire a guy that is considered the 35th coach. 9 SEC coaches are rated ahead including Mizz and the 2 Miss coaches. Yes he went up 9 notches because he is now at AU. I would bet if he was still at Boise he would not have gone up much if any.  Most here are looking at the hire through orange colored glasses. As I said earlier most outside look at this as a so so hire. You are right it is about the coaches and most outside of AU don’t think of this as a home run hire.