1988 season highlights

WarEagle1982

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

Not to nit pick, but Deon interfered in the end zone, making it even more significant.   The ref was never going to throw that flag.  Deon came over the top and Freddy's helmet was pushed into his chest.  Freddy never had a chance  to see the ball into his arms/hands.  

Emmitt's mom was employed by a UF alum ( a lawyer ).   The Fulwood story was just chatter...Mom was making good money as a personal assistant to a power broker in Pensacola.   He was never going to Auburn, even though I think he was an Auburn lean.   He didn't want to play at UF because of the astroturf.  And you know what?   He never ran for 100 against Auburn.   Had he come to Auburn,  a lot of things would have been different at Auburn.  Bowden would have never been hired and a lot of other things would have fallen our way I believe.  

The LSU loss was, as you said, my most painful loss also.   The Van Tiffen kick was the second.   

You and I saw probably the finest era of Auburn football.  Remember when the UNC coach pulled his QB because he was worried about losing him before their season really even got started?  I think that was Mack Brown...

War Eagle and back at you!

class of '88

I do remember the UNC coach doing that.  It was the 1987 game and the score was still close.  AU only won by 10.  The coach was Dick Crum.  Here is the post game show.  Coach Dye is fired up because he wanted to beat UNC from his East Carolina days.  

57 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

I do remember the UNC coach doing that.  It was the 1987 game and the score was still close.  AU only won by 10.  The coach was Dick Crum.  Here is the post game show.  Coach Dye is fired up because he wanted to beat UNC from his East Carolina days.  

I could be wrong, but I believe it was the '88 game in Auburn.   I recall the QB coming out and reading something later in the week how the coach had pulled him, 'looking ahead' to the upcoming ACC schedule.  He was just taking a beating at Jordan Hare.

Fun to watch that clip...thanks.

Reading more of the Justice's comments; over the long term, I don't see how the NCAA maintains much control at all over it's members.  The Court doesn't really recognize "amateurism" as anything that matters in the context of Anti-trust laws.  Expect more suits from athletes going after other areas of compensation.  If Congress doesn't act like in baseball; NCAA will have to drastically reform, establish comp rules that the conferences buy-in to (that meet each new legal challenge; the current one is pretty narrow relative to where it can go); or the P5 conferences will have go their own way to maintain anything that resembles the current format.   Not gonna happen tomorrow; but the clock is ticking.  

Not expecting an NFL minor league; that's already been tried...those leagues never last.  But maybe the lack of structure had as much to do with that as anything.  And if it does come to that; well, College Baseball has never been more popular, so a minor league obviously could work well alongside NCAA and NFL football.

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

Reading more of the Justice's comments; over the long term, I don't see how the NCAA maintains much control at all over it's members.  The Court doesn't really recognize "amateurism" as anything that matters in the context of Anti-trust laws.  Expect more suits from athletes going after other areas of compensation.  If Congress doesn't act like in baseball; NCAA will have to drastically reform, establish comp rules that the conferences buy-in to (that meet each new legal challenge; the current one is pretty narrow relative to where it can go); or the P5 conferences will have go their own way to maintain anything that resembles the current format.   Not gonna happen tomorrow; but the clock is ticking.  

Not expecting an NFL minor league; that's already been tried...those leagues never last.  But maybe the lack of structure had as much to do with that as anything.  And if it does come to that; well, College Baseball has never been more popular, so a minor league obviously could work well alongside NCAA and NFL football.

The NCAA thread is that-a-way...➡➡➡

😁

Just hard timing you a bit. Any further smacking around of the NCAA is fine by me. 👍

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

The NCAA thread is that-a-way...➡➡➡

😁

Just hard timing you a bit. Any further smacking around of the NCAA is fine by me. 👍

Funny...lost track of which thread i was in...

20 hours ago, WVR said:

Beat me to it. This is the one call that still makes me mad to this day. Dodge hit Freddy way early. The announcers even call them out on it. Should have been Auburn’s ball inside the 5. I guess I need to let it go after 32 years. 😁

Hard to let it go even after all this time, especially after seeing it again. (Link should open to that play.)

Great team and one of my favorites. Oldest son was born the day we played Kansas. Quickest 2nd half I ever listened to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_rule

In a 1988 game, Kansas Jayhawks coach Glen Mason asked if a running clock could be used after his team trailed 49–0 at halftime to the Auburn Tigers. Auburn coach Pat Dye and the officials agreed, and Auburn ended up a 56–7 winner.[8]

• WarTiger changed the title to 1988 season highlights
On 6/21/2021 at 9:55 AM, Howard Roark said:

Neon Deion interfered with Freddy Weygand on the last drive and it was not called.  

For the five billionth time, it wasn’t Deion that interfered. Deion made the INT.

How does this fact continue to be wrong even 33 years later?

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

For the five billionth time, it wasn’t Deion that interfered. Deion made the INT.

How does this fact continue to be wrong even 33 years later?

Here in South Alabama (not sure of elsewhere) we never let a few facts get in the way of a better story.

On 6/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, Beaker said:

Not to nit pick, but Deon interfered in the end zone, making it even more significant.   The ref was never going to throw that flag.  Deon came over the top and Freddy's helmet was pushed into his chest.  Freddy never had a chance  to see the ball into his arms/hands.  

Dedrick Dodge, not Deion. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Dedrick Dodge, not Deion. 

I believe you; well Dodge pushed his head down to the point Weygand could not see the ball, before the ball arrived.   

FSU  got away with that one and I wished we could have exacted revenge in 2013...darn my luck.

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

I believe you; well Dodge pushed his head down to the point Weygand could not see the ball, before the ball arrived.   

FSU  got away with that one and I wished we could have exacted revenge in 2013...darn my luck.

We did exact revenge. When #5 beat #7 two years later. Thank you Ricky Sutton and Jim Von Wyl.

Archived