OL numbers

bigbird

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The article actually uses the term "immediate". That wasn't my terminology. OTs make up 40% of the OL and yet 80% of O Lineman offered have been Tackles. That sounds like they are taking immediate action. The Transfer Portal doesn't grow Tackles. Someone has to actually enter it, then they have to want to come to Auburn. It's not like going to pick out a dog at the pound...they're all happy to go home with you. 

Define "immediate". I'd think immediate means play in the 2021 season. Offering 2022 high school OT's doesn't seem like it's addressing an "immediate" need to me.

To repeat, this staff proved to be very skilled at finding transfer DB's. It's not rational to think they could not find even one OT if they thought the need was desperate.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Jackson and Hamm or Troxell, depending on how the latter two shake out in pre-season practices. We have a veteran O-line returning and it should be a team strong point. People tend to ignore the injury situation on the O-line last year. Five starters missed multiple games due to injury. That's almost unheard of and is unlikely to repeat.

To your other point, if upgrades couldn't be found in the portal, doesn't that indicate that what we have on hand is rather high grade? Apparently they had no problem finding DB upgrades.

Fair points. I do think Hamm and Jackson are good interior lineman, just not tackles. I would argue they were done a disservice being moved out there when they could have showed out at guard last year, at least Hamm. That is my reasoning for being so concerned about the lack of o-line movement in the portal, but you very well may be right and this staff thinks Hamm and Jackson are adequate tackles for this team and there is no need to look around.

I don't think we can say that most of our guys have a high grade, just that most guys in the portal either busted or were average at their first school. Thus, if our current guys are average and maybe a couple of them slightly above average, bringing in average/below average players to compete with average players won't do much to raise the level of the room as a whole. I don't think they'll bite unless a for sure starter pops up. For example, the LSU starting LT who just entered the portal. He would be an example of a guy that would most likely instantly start here no questions asked. However, I doubt we go after him due to his character concerns.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

We have a veteran O-line returning and it should be a team strong point.

That's a hot take

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's a hot take

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

That we heard last year too.

I actually think we should be okay this year on the OL assuming we stay healthy.  Need Council to bounce back with his injury though.  We will be good enough to at least to buy our QB time to stay in the pocket and throw. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I actually think we should be okay this year on the OL assuming we stay healthy.  Need Council to bounce back with his injury though.  We will be good enough to at least to buy our QB time to stay in the pocket and throw. 

Or buy Nix enough time to 'escape' the pocket. 🤥

I also expect our ex QBs Harsin and Bobo to know how to help the QB with quicker reads and practice getting to the outlet receivers such as RBs and TEs...

18 hours ago, gr82be said:

The problem is immediate as well as long term. A lack of recruiting along the line in recent years means that not only are there few options for this year, but there’s also a lack of incoming and developing talent.

bb18-bb.gif

Archived