OL numbers

bigbird

As of now, this season we will only have 15 OL. After graduation and before incoming freshman, we will have 8 OL and only two are OT.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/roster/2021?&sort=position

Irvin - Jr
Brahms - Sr
Johnson - So
Coffey - Sr
Manning - Sr

Jernigan - rFr
Jones - So
Hamm - Sr
Stutts - Jr
Jackson - Sr
Troxell - Sr
Council - Sr

Langlo - tFr
Zierer - Jr
Smith - tFr

We're going to be in a world of hurt while we try to address the deficiency left behind.   

It's going to be interesting to see how CBH decides to address it. So far, his forward thinking and roster management moves have given some hope that he knows what he's doing and will get it taken care of, but it's a scary outlook and a steep climb for sure

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MODS please delete this thread. This is very NSFW.

It is truly unbelievable that the roster is in such poor shape on the OL. We’ve been dealing with it for a few years now and seen the next year scenario brewing. This is the one area that is going to limit Harsin’s success in the first 2-3 years IMO. Gonna need to sign 6-7 this year, quality HS (preferably) or transfer

Maybe there hasn't been an OL that the staff has liked, but it seems wild we haven't tried to snag any OL transfers yet.  I know we keep hearing rumblings of "oh there is an OT but its being kept secret.  With every passing day as we get into the summer I'm guessing that is now either BS or a dream that has busted.  (Same we the WR unfortunately).

Pretty much we're going to have to go hard on transfers next winter.  That's going to reduce our HS class even more.  Maybe a couple of those Srs stick around for a 6th year b/c Covid cancelled out last year.  But the problem is those non-starting Srs aren't that great.

Also, I'd hope this would be an excellent recruiting tool.  Hey top tackles, you want to start in the SEC next year??  Here you go.  We ain't got s***

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

After graduation and before incoming freshman, we will have 8 OL and only two are OT.

If you're concerned about next season's team, then certainly incoming freshmen should be counted. They'll be on the team (barring some tragedy that could happen to anybody)

Apparently the staff is more concerned about the defensive side of the ball. The only offensive transfer taken so far is one QB. The staff's actions to date don't indicate a big concern with the O-line.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you're concerned about next season's team, then certainly incoming freshmen should be counted. They'll be on the team (barring some tragedy that could happen to anybody)

Apparently the staff is more concerned about the defensive side of the ball. The only offensive transfer taken so far is one QB. The staff's actions to date don't indicate a big concern with the O-line.

How would they be counted? We don't have any as of right now. Not a single OL commit.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Things just have really fallen since Bill Taylor days. No depth anymore lol.

Cheer up. Due to the virus, last season doesn't count and Taylor could return for another season if he wants to.

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

How would they be counted? We don't have any as of right now. Not a single OL commit.

Signing day for the class of '22 is still months away. Prospects are in the process of making campus visits. We hardly have any players committed to that class, with the notable exception of a good QB. Do you think this staff is incapable of signing O-line prospects?

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe there hasn't been an OL that the staff has liked, but it seems wild we haven't tried to snag any OL transfers yet.  I know we keep hearing rumblings of "oh there is an OT but its being kept secret.  With every passing day as we get into the summer I'm guessing that is now either BS or a dream that has busted.  (Same we the WR unfortunately).

Pretty much we're going to have to go hard on transfers next winter.  That's going to reduce our HS class even more.  Maybe a couple of those Srs stick around for a 6th year b/c Covid cancelled out last year.  But the problem is those non-starting Srs aren't that great.

If you look at the list in the OP, there are 7 seniors & 3 juniors --10/15.  It makes strategic sense to rebuild the OL with younger HS recruits instead of the typical one (or two)-and-done types likely to be found through the portal.  Maybe next season they can take an available, experienced OL from the portal to augment the numbers.  

11 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

It makes strategic sense to rebuild the OL with younger HS recruits instead of the typical one (or two)-and-done types likely to be found through the portal.

I'm not really sure you understand that the portal is no longer one and done players.  We just took like 5 guys that have 4 years of  eligibility left from the transfer portal.

So I really enjoy the condescending attitude in a post were you are pretty much wrong.  Fun fun!

No doubt we are hurting with so many Seniors and so few below them.  I believe because of the pandemic technically all of the Seniors can play one more year after this if they want is that correct?   I am not saying this is a solution  because even if they are allowed to I am not sure how many if any would want to.  So bottom line is even if we sign a great Freshman class they won't help us next year as very few even 5* Freshman are ready year one. Next year we have to get some qualified transfers or we will be hurting big time and would probably need to use Interior people as OT's, of the Underclassmen only Zierer and Smith are true OT's with Langlo possibly being an option because of his physical attributes.

It is vitally important this year that we take advantage of our easy games and put some teams away early so young players can get some real game experience.  It would be great if Zierer is healthy enough and has learned enough to be a legitimate starting OT this year.

I am hoping this staff can get some quality O-line to commit not so much for next year but for future years.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

No doubt we are hurting with so many Seniors and so few below them.  I believe because of the pandemic technically all of the Seniors can play one more year after this if they want is that correct?   I am not saying this is a solution  because even if they are allowed to I am not sure how many if any would want to.  So bottom line is even if we sign a great Freshman class they won't help us next year as very few even 5* Freshman are ready year one. Next year we have to get some qualified transfers or we will be hurting big time and would probably need to use Interior people as OT's. of the Underclassmen only Zierer and Smith are true OT's with Langlo possibly being an Option because of his physical attributes.

It is vitally important this year that we take advantage of our easy games and put some teams away early so young players can get some real game experience.  It would be great if Zierer is healthy enough and has learned enough to be a legitimate starting OT this year.

Yeah we can, but how many will stay??  I'm pretty sure Bro Hamm is already on his 6th year post graduation.  There was a ton of rumors that Brahms wasn't coming back and ready to move on to flying. It's possible that a lot could stay for a 6th year if they can't get drafted and it's possible some just got their degree/grad degree and are ready to move on with life.  

The 6th year might help us with some kids and pad as we get some lower level kids in

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not really sure you understand that the portal is no longer one and done players.  We just took like 5 guys that have 4 years of  eligibility left from the transfer portal.

So I really enjoy the condescending attitude in a post were you are pretty much wrong.  Fun fun!

Oh please.  How many OL with 4 years of eligibilty are out there?  Gus had been putting band-aids on this problem for years.  Thankfully, we now have a coaching staff that understands what to do.   

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is a great question. Does our staff have a big concern with the O Line? or the offense overall?

1 minute ago, AUloggerhead said:

Oh please.  How many OL with 4 years of eligibilty are out there?  Gus had been putting band-aids on this problem for years.  Thankfully, we now have a coaching staff that understands what to do.   

I agree with this. Because of where Gus left us we may still have to do some band aid fixes with Grad Transfer or Juco types but you are correct there is little possibility of us getting a quality O-Linemen or two with 3 or 4 years of eligibility

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do you think this staff is incapable of signing O-line prospects?

No, that was the last staff. Hence this thread

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

This is a great question. Does our staff have a big concern with the O Line? or the offense overall?

It is not a question of which side they were concerned with they were dealt a hand with some missing pieces on both sides of the ball. They have found some pieces on D side and on O a QB and a RB.  I think the reason you haven't seen any O-Line or a WR is they have not found any they like that want to come to Auburn. They are still looking but as time passes the odds go down on finding the quality type player they are looking for. This year we technically have the numbers (Quality is a different thing and is till TBD) on O-Line but as Bird pointed out next year we won't even have the numbers

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Signing day for the class of '22 is still months away. Prospects are in the process of making campus visits. We hardly have any players committed to that class, with the notable exception of a good QB. Do you think this staff is incapable of signing O-line prospects?

Not at all. I just found it an odd thing to say "count the incoming freshmen" when we have no clue how many or what caliber we are going to have. Either way...Say new staff signs 3 five-star tackles....we are still going to be in a bad spot for a while. It is going to take time for the staff to fix the mess Gus left us in on OL.

@bigbird: If you were managing the roster what ideal numbers overall and for positions would you like to see for the OL position group (throw in class, ie Fr-SR as well)?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What a dumb post. Of course incoming freshman will be counted, why wouldn't they? The issue is, we don't have any committed. So as of today, which incoming freshman are you wanting to count towards our numbers? Which incoming freshman are going to sign and help build our depth? We wanted a large OL class last year too, we signed two...

29 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

I don't disagree Gus put us in this situation, but the idea that there aren't many with multiple years of eligibility is wrong.  You said they were typically 1 year players (maybe 2), that's just not true anymore.  This isn't a grad transfer portal as it has shown, we've added multiple kids with 3-4 years left.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/?positiongroupkey=

Here's a list of probably at least 200 OLs.  I'm not sure we've been really talked about wrt any of these kids outside trying to hold on to the Harvard kid that ended up at PSU

Pretty sure Bobo is blocking any OL transfers so his son can start as a TrFr in 22. 😉

Archived