Dee Davis Article

Timbeaux38

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, remember it was Luper that saw him and had to convince the Gene. 

Maybe it was Caudle post A Day, not trotter 

Luper went to see a wr, while he was there he saw cam. He told Gus about cam and Gus said he wasn't bringing in a QB, Luper told him I know you said that but you need to see this. When they met him and saw his film everybody said yeah we need this guy asap. 

At least this is what they said out of their mouths. I don't know if they were lying but I wouldn't see a reason to lie about that.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I dont ever recall that Gus/Gene rumor regarding Wilson. I did hear that regarding bring in Cam though.

To bring him in, and he only was looking at Auburn and Wisconsin, told me they needed desperately an experienced starting QB. Wilson was not some QB with questionable stats or QB skills.

I actually had a few debates with a guy who was in love with Clint Mosley for whatever reason. But he did try to make an argument that Wilson wasn't accurate and said he played in a weak conference. And there were people who agreed with him. 

Of course nothing about Wilson's stats would lead you to come to a conclusion that he wasn't accurate, but this was at a time when if you were athletic and stuff......that automatically it was said you aren't accurate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Luper went to see a wr, while he was there he saw cam. He told Gus about cam and Gus said he wasn't bringing in a QB, Luper told him I know you said that but you need to see this. When they met him and saw his film everybody said yeah we need this guy asap. 

At least this is what they said out of their mouths. I don't know if they were lying but I wouldn't see a reason to lie about that.

That story really isn't much different from.what the two of us said.

Luper found him.and had to convince Gus/Gene to take him. Think we're all saying essentially the same thing. Nor sure anyone is calling anyone a liar

Props to Luper most importantly 

Edited by W.E.D

22 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That story really isn't much different from.what the two of us said.

Luper found him.and had to convince Gus/Gene to take him. Think we're all saying essentially the same thing. Nor sure anyone is calling anyone a liar

Props to Luper most importantly 

No it isn't much different but it's a little. I was just posting what they actually said for accuracy reasons. How important accuracy is subjective to each individual I guess. 

Oh I didn't say anybody was calling anybody a liar but I'm sure you know that

• Like 1

The only people saying the reason Wilson passed on Auburn was because they wouldn’t guarantee him a starting spot were all started on Auburn message boards.  Like I said when it happened Wilson chose Wisconsin because it returned a talented offensive line and ran a pro style offense similar to what NC State had.  I had direct connection to the Wisconsin team.   People just made up a lie because they couldn’t believe that he would turn us down after winning a National Championship and he was our only hope to have a successful season.  

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, auburnphan said:

The only people saying the reason Wilson passed on Auburn was because they wouldn’t guarantee him a starting spot were all started on Auburn message boards.  Like I said when it happened Wilson chose Wisconsin because it returned a talented offensive line and ran a pro style offense similar to what NC State had.  I had direct connection to the Wisconsin team.   People just made up a lie because they couldn’t believe that he would turn us down after winning a National Championship and he was our only hope to have a successful season.  

It's funny what we as a fan base will make up and believe to make us appear to be the greater good

Russell Wilson wouldn't make too much of a difference.....And people were cool with that statement. What a time to be alive!!

• Haha 1

For the record, I think I was the one who initially said we passed on Wilson and I honestly don't even know if I thought that because that's what I'd read and believed or because I just didn't remember. The ensuing debate has been quite lively and entertaining, though. Carry on!

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Russell Wilson wouldn't make too much of a difference.....And people were cool with that statement. What a time to be alive!!

Russell Wilson? Pfft, what's he done?   🤪

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

For the record, I think I was the one who initially said we passed on Wilson and I honestly don't even know if I thought that because that's what I'd read and believed or because I just didn't remember. The ensuing debate has been quite lively and entertaining, though. Carry on!

Looking back on it and the endless terrible decisions that Gene made, it's not like it is really out of the realm of possibilities 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You are in no fault. We passed on Lamar Jackson. If the board is factual, and we know it's probably not, we passed on fields. We initially was going to pass on cam......on defense we passed on Zach Cunningham, westry, I believe Davis as well.  We passed on Abdullah I remember way back in the day we passed on that monster wr that went to miss st. Speaking on miss st we passed on beniquez Brown and he was all SEC a couple of years ....if anybody can make a huge mistake and pass on some other worldly talent we can

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are in no fault. We passed on Lamar Jackson. If the board is factual, and we know it's probably not, we passed on fields. We initially was going to pass on cam......on defense we passed on Zach Cunningham, westry, I believe Davis as well.  We passed on Abdullah I remember way back in the day we passed on that monster wr that went to miss st. Speaking on miss st we passed on beniquez Brown and he was all SEC a couple of years ....if anybody can make a huge mistake and pass on some other worldly talent we can

Yep, we weren't the only ones either.  Every fan base tries to delude themselves into feeling better when there's a miss on a good thing. Some justifications are just really bad when you look back at them.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yep, we weren't the only ones either.  Every fan base tries to delude themselves into feeling better when there's a miss on a good thing. Some justifications are just really bad when you look back at them.  

You have me think about one of my favorites. Remember when Thomas left and there was a certain poster that said he wasn't D1 talent and in the same thread when he found out Thomas made it to the NFL he said Gus deserve credit for motivating him😂

That's when I realized some people will NEVER say they were wrong

Edit: I agree this is probably every fan base

Edited by cole256

Auburn offered Philip Rivers a scholarship to play TE. Bammer offered him a walkon slot to play TE. N.C. State promised to give Rivers a shot at QB but the coaches there fully expected to shift him to TE after his redshirt year.

This missing on players is no big deal and is certainly nothing new.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You have me think about one of my favorites. Remember when Thomas left and there was a certain poster that said he wasn't D1 talent and in the same thread when he found out Thomas made it to the NFL he said Gus deserve credit for motivating him😂

That's when I realized some people will NEVER say they were wrong

Edit: I agree this is probably every fan base

I don't remember it but wouldn't put it past many of us. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Especially when it was a decade of OL talent

There are many mistakes that coaches make every day and they are common. But some mistakes hurt more than others and the most consistent is usually the most successful in everything in life.

But all that is actually moot to the original point. Like I stated loof may have made a mistake in saying that but judging all the mistakes the past coaching staff made cant really blame him for it.

Also my examples weren't just missed in recruiting and we didn't contact, my examples were players literally saying I want to play for Auburn please let me come

Edited by cole256

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Auburn offered Philip Rivers a scholarship to play TE. Bammer offered him a walkon slot to play TE. N.C. State promised to give Rivers a shot at QB but the coaches there fully expected to shift him to TE after his redshirt year.

Yeah, a bad miss by almost everyone.

Speaking of Rivers, our new QB signee has a lot of his characteristics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, a bad miss by almost everyone.

Speaking of Rivers, our new QB signee has a lot of his characteristics.

That funky delivery Rivers had scared everyone off. I guess I can see why. Speaking of him, he's building him a huge, beautiful house outside of Fairhope. Haven't been by there in a while so it may be finished. He needs a mansion to house all those kids lol

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There is probably an endless list of players all SEC teams passed on. Y’all are making it sound like AU is the only school to pass on players. 

5 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

He needs a mansion to house all those kids lol

If I could've afforded them, I definitely would've had a few more, but 9...whoa!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

There is probably an endless list of players all SEC teams passed on. Y’all are making it sound like AU is the only school to pass on players. 

No I'm being specific and talking about players who either had scholarships and had them taken away or players who publicly stated we were the school they wanted to attend. And then on top of that I listed all sec or NFL guys.

I don't know how many guys are like this at all other schools. I do the guys in this region though and I do know our strength as far as rosters. Take for instance when we passed on Cunningham we were very weak at the linebacker position at the time. 

Everybody can have whatever they want to talk about. I myself pay attention to how we didn't recruit our home state well and I'm going to bring that up. About how we don't even try

But once again the genesis of THIS particular convo was I was letting a friend know he don't have anything to apologize for because at that time we passed on a bunch of good talent. And that's nothing that can be disputed, so it's nothing to argue about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I'm being specific and talking about players who either had scholarships and had them taken away or players who publicly stated we were the school they wanted to attend. And then on top of that I listed all sec or NFL guys.

I don't know how many guys are like this at all other schools. I do the guys in this region though and I do know our strength as far as rosters. Take for instance when we passed on Cunningham we were very weak at the linebacker position at the time. 

Everybody can have whatever they want to talk about. I myself pay attention to how we didn't recruit our home state well and I'm going to bring that up. About how we don't even try

But once again the genesis of THIS particular convo was I was letting a friend know he don't have anything to apologize for because at that time we passed on a bunch of good talent. And that's nothing that can be disputed, so it's nothing to argue about.

Probably shouldn’t have linked with your particular comment but about the overall comments about particular players AU missed on.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

If I could've afforded them, I definitely would've had a few more, but 9...whoa!

Rivers was also a pretty good basketball player. I remember watching him play against us in middle school. Yeah a few teams missed but the one that thought a little outside of the box literally brought in their all time best QB and record holder!

We did the same with Karlous Dansby, whose my favorite linebacker

• Like 1