Dee Davis Article

Timbeaux38

16 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Did we pass on him or did he pass on us?

He definitely passed on us.  Pretty sure it was OL related, shocker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

5 hours ago, The Freak said:

I stand corrected. Still...

12 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

IIRC Gus/Gene wouldn't promise him yhe starting job. Or that was the spin

Edited by W.E.D

11 hours ago, The Freak said:

It was a decade ago. But I don't recall our OL being that bad in 2011

22 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It was a decade ago. But I don't recall our OL being that bad in 2011

I don't remember how well it turned out, I just remember there being some turnover after 2010 leaving some question marks.  Wisconsin's was ready to go.  But I've had like infinity beers since then so I might be wrong.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I remember hearing that one, too. 

• Like 1

It just seems to me when Harsin talks about Davis, idk it just seems like he goes out of his way to not compliment or say good things about him. That worries me a bit

• Like 1

His competition was trotter and Clint Mosley. I doubt Wilson passed because he didn't get a starting promise. He just saw much better team set up for a QB available

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That was the spin, but even at the time it was hogwash as who did we have as viable QBs at the time?

Barrett…..Jr
Moseley……SO and
Frazier……Fr.

Wilson would have won the starting job without a doubt, no need to promise him the job.

I remember him (Wilson) saying something like he saw the weight the o linemen were lifting and that helped him make up his mind. Wisconsin strength and conditioning program was just on an entire different level than ours.

That's when we were big on flexibility and being bigger didn't equate to strongerdumb philosophyat the time

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's when we were big on flexibility and being bigger didn't equate to strongerdumb philosophyat the time

I believe that philosophy was brought to Auburn when Gus was head coach as he brought the Strength and Conditioning coach with him from Arky State.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It just seems to me when Harsin talks about Davis, idk it just seems like he goes out of his way to not compliment or say good things about him. That worries me a bit

I agree. Maybe it's a TrFr thing or just that he currently isn't ready always seemed to glow about Bo and TJ for the most part

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

No that's not true at all.

His reason he gave in interviews, was it was important for him to transfer to a place with a strong OL. Wisc had veterans and a very strong OL and running game to complement play action passing.

Auburn, ofc wanted RUssell. Cam was gone, and they didn't have an experience QB behind him. We lost about 31 players off that 2010 team, and it was going to be a rebuilding year.

It was never an issue about Russell not starting.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

His reason he gave in interviews, was it was important for him to transfer to a place with a strong OL. Wisc had veterans and a very strong OL and running game to complement play action passing.

Auburn, ofc wanted RUssell. Cam was gone, and they didn't have an experience QB behind him. We lost about 31 players off that 2010 team, and it was going to be a rebuilding year.

I don't think RW would've made that much of a difference. MAYBE we would've beaten Clemson but we lost by over 3 TDs in all the other losses. The team (and of course, the team after that) had fundamental issues that went way beyond QB play.

Edited by AUwent

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm just stating what was said at the time. Of course he isn't going to say that

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don't think RW would've made that much of a difference. MAYBE we would've beaten Clemson but we lost by over 3 TDs in all the other losses. The team (and of course, the team after that) had fundamental issues that went way beyond QB play.

Don't agree. Having a 3 year starter frim NC State that had all kind of passing/running records, to start an Auburn game vs Trotter, Moseley or Kiehl Frzier could make up a lot of ground on being competitive in any game that year. THe playbook becomes much better with Wilson executing it.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Don't agree. Having a 3 year starter frim NC State that had all kind of passing/running records, to start an Auburn game vs Trotter, Moseley or Kiehl Frzier could make up a lot of ground on being competitive in any game that year. THe playbook becomes much better with Wilson executing it.

Maybe. We would've been better for sure, but I still don't think that team was doing much regardless with how young we were across the board and the issues creeping into the program by that point.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I'm just stating what was said at the time. Of course he isn't going to say that

I dont ever recall that Gus/Gene rumor regarding Wilson. I did hear that regarding bring in Cam though.

To bring him in, and he only was looking at Auburn and Wisconsin, told me they needed desperately an experienced starting QB. Wilson was not some QB with questionable stats or QB skills.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I dont ever recall that Gus/Gene rumor regarding Wilson. I did hear that regarding bring in Cam though.

To bring him in, and he only was looking at Auburn and Wisconsin, told me they needed desperately an experienced starting QB. Wilson was not some QB with questionable stats or QB skills.

Weird bc I Def don't remember anything about Cam. Wasn't there a lot of folks thinking Trotter should be the QB after A Day??

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Weird bc I Def don't remember anything about Cam. Wasn't there a lot of folks thinking Trotter should be the QB after A Day??

The rumor about Cam, was in recruiting him. Supposedly Gene didn't want him in, but Gus pushed and begged to get him.

If you're talking about Cam vs Trotter? Cam did not have a great A-Day, especially with his inaccurate passes. But I think the depth chart had Cam, Neil Caudle then Trotter that year. Cam fit perfectly Gus' offense.

The next year, Trotter was in the pecking order just bc he was the most experienced(even though he only threw like 8 passes his soph year). He was not picked the starter until Fall, so I think he was not a clear fav to be the QB.

If Russell comes in, they have a much better offense to work from with a very experience QB who fits also Gus' offense.

I really hope D Davis gets some series in the bowl game. I want him to come in and play lights out like I believe he can!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The rumor about Cam, was in recruiting him. Supposedly Gene didn't want him in, but Gus pushed and begged to get him.

If you're talking about Cam vs Trotter? Cam did not have a great A-Day, especially with his inaccurate passes. But I think the depth chart had Cam, Neil Caudle then Trotter that year. Cam fit perfectly Gus' offense.

The next year, Trotter was in the pecking order just bc he was the most experienced(even though he only threw like 8 passes his soph year). He was not picked the starter until Fall, so I think he was not a clear fav to be the QB.

If Russell comes in, they have a much better offense to work from with a very experience QB who fits also Gus' offense.

Yeah, remember it was Luper that saw him and had to convince the Gene. 

Maybe it was Caudle post A Day, not trotter 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Chizik said himself when he saw footage of cam he said yeah we're going after this guy

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

That's pretty funny right there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I remember him (Wilson) saying something like he saw the weight the o linemen were lifting and that helped him make up his mind. Wisconsin strength and conditioning program was just on an entire different level than ours.