Dee Davis Article

Timbeaux38

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m not sure if the other QB’s have them but seems like that was what the article’s described. Nothing about physical attributes. Confidence, faith in himself, puts himself behind the team needs. 

I agree with this too.  Elusiveness and speed are tangible and physical traits. Intangibles for a QB might be his ability to manage his emotions and operate at a high level in a pressure game, or a QB standing in the pocket knowing he has so many seconds to find that open WR and knowing he is about to get clobbered. Or it can be a strong leadership quality that definitely shows in a locker room and also  on the field.

I really like this kid's overall attitude, and a strong family support. My they sound like good people. And I hope he does find a way to be a successful starting QB for us in the future.

But I also pause, and will see how his perception is from season to season, as it might change, and so might his goals, if he is not the starting QB for Auburn down the road. And if they do, I will still have him in high regard as a young man for coming to Auburn, seeing it change quickly, but still stay because he wanted to be at Auburn.

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Sorry.  The spring game doesn't count.  Can't use this as any reference 

You need to get off of that. First you really can't go off of spring because of where different guys are at. A corner could get beat 3 times because he doesn't have the defense down yet and it's his first time "starting" on defense. You'd t foolish to say you can't count on this guy in the future because of what we saw during spring.

Second and most important the stuff you said about Bo is literally the entire evaluation is directly impacted by spring rules. Saying a guy showed you he was comfortable when he literally cannot get hit is just dumb. 

That's the direct threat that makes the position tough. Examples saying a corner was great in deep coverage when the QB is told he can't throw down field.

Saying a linebacker didn't miss any tackles but the team is playing two hand touch. 

Saying a running back improved his hands and securing the ball but the plays are blown dead before contact.

Pressure and pain is the entire point. I could give you 3 algebra questions and it wouldn't be a big deal. If I told you, you had to do it in seconds that would change your approach and accuracy completely

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You need to get off of that. First you really can't go off of spring because of where different guys are at. A corner could get beat 3 times because he doesn't have the defense down yet and it's his first time "starting" on defense. You'd t foolish to say you can't count on this guy in the future because of what we saw during spring.

Second and most important the stuff you said about Bo is literally the entire evaluation is directly impacted by spring rules. Saying a guy showed you he was comfortable when he literally cannot get hit is just dumb. 

That's the direct threat that makes the position tough. Examples saying a corner was great in deep coverage when the QB is told he can't throw down field.

Saying a linebacker didn't miss any tackles but the team is playing two hand touch. 

Saying a running back improved his hands and securing the ball but the plays are blown dead before contact.

Pressure and pain is the entire point. I could give you 3 algebra questions and it wouldn't be a big deal. If I told you, you had to do it in seconds that would change your approach and accuracy completely

Oh.  OK.  It matters sometimes.  But not others*

*Bo Nix

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Ha.  Maybe I used the wrong word.  Davis is faster and can make moves that the other Qbs cannot.  If he can get the passing game part of his skillset mastered then he will be very dangerous.  I’m thinking a Kyler, Baker kinda of Qb.

Have you seen them officially run side by side? Run a clocked 40? What makes you so sure that he is "faster" than Nix? He can make moves the others cant? He hasn't done a single thing against a D1 defense - so even that is a complete guess on your part. Btw, in spring practice, the defense can't even hit the QB so any judgment on him "running" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Bryan Harsin doesn't even care about running ability at QB, so even if all of that was true, it wouldn't be a deciding factor in who plays.

Davis is nowhere near as fast as Kyler Murray, btw. Lets stop those clownshow comparisons before they even start.

Edited by metafour

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Have you seen them officially run side by side? Run a clocked 40? What makes you so sure that he is "faster" than Nix? He can make moves the others cant? He hasn't done a single thing against a D1 defense - so even that is a complete guess on your part. Btw, in spring practice, the defense can't even hit the QB so any judgment on him "running" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Bryan Harsin doesn't even care about running ability at QB, so even if all of that was true, it wouldn't be a deciding factor in who plays.

Davis is nowhere near as fast as Kyler Murray, btw. Lets stop those clownshow comparisons before they even start.

Wasn’t comparing Nix and Davis.  Also said the same kind of Qb as Kyler so wasn’t comparing them directly as far as speed either. 

12 minutes ago, metafour said:

Do you have any insight on where the QB's currently stand after a few summer work outs or is it too soon to tell?

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Oh.  OK.  It matters sometimes.  But not others*

*Bo Nix

If that's what you got from it do you. If your bulb can't turn on to the fact that you can't judge pocket presence of a QB when the QB can't be hit do you. It's actually sort of funny. The way you hate Gus and talk down on him, this is exactly what he did and why Auburn found out during the actual games that, that wasn't the best way to evaluate a QB 😂

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Wasn’t comparing Nix and Davis.  Also said the same kind of Qb as Kyler so wasn’t comparing them directly as far as speed either. 

1) If you aren't comparing Nix and Davis, then who are you comparing? Your statement was that he was faster and could make moves "the other QB's cannot". I assume you meant the other QB's on the active roster. Everyone already knows that Finley isn't fast or a runner, so obviously he's out of that comparison from the onset. The only other QB to compare to is Bo Nix (no, no one cares about Grant Loy).

2) What does "same type of QB as Kyler" imply? That they're both short and black? Kyler Murray was a 5-star recruit and much more talented + a better athlete by far. It's a silly comparison.

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If that's what you got from it do you. If your bulb can't turn on to the fact that you can't judge pocket presence of a QB when the QB can't be hit do you. It's actually sort of funny. The way you hate Gus and talk down on him, this is exactly what he did and why Auburn found out during the actual games that, that wasn't the best way to evaluate a QB 😂

Not judging.  Just a "hey looks he's actually doing QB things and not absolutely terrible."

It's a very low bar for Bo's improvement.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not judging.  Just a "hey looks he's actually doing QB things and not absolutely terrible."

It's a very low bar for Bo's improvement.

Pretty sure he looked good in his first spring game as well. But you don't even have to agree with it but you can't just pretend there's no logic in it. Can't dispute that the fact you can't touch the QB can lead to the QB looking pretty good.

So I don't understand why you are still carrying the you can't say this it's in during spring b.s.  You are purposely taking something out of context again to pass an agenda.

Then when time comes where you are actually saying stuff that's right nobody will take you seriously or even worse nobody will even believe the stuff you are saying.

I for one wish you'd stop manipulating what I say. You don't have to do that with me, I don't play the say something but mean something else game that imo take place on the political board more than anything. I'll just tell you how I feel straight up. No manipulation needed for me.

43 minutes ago, metafour said:

1) If you aren't comparing Nix and Davis, then who are you comparing? Your statement was that he was faster and could make moves "the other QB's cannot". I assume you meant the other QB's on the active roster. Everyone already knows that Finley isn't fast or a runner, so obviously he's out of that comparison from the onset. The only other QB to compare to is Bo Nix (no, no one cares about Grant Loy).

2) What does "same type of QB as Kyler" imply? That they're both short and black? Kyler Murray was a 5-star recruit and much more talented + a better athlete by far. It's a silly comparison.

I was speaking to when Bo is gone.  I don’t think anyone expects Dee to do anything this season other than play 4 games and redshirt.  If you assume Finley, the kid from Savannah, or Dee will be your next Qb then maybe his running abilities could separate him if he’s also developed as a passer. 

2) In my original statement I said a Kyler/Baker type Qb.  A QB that makes plays with his arm but also can make plays with feet.  Never said he was going to be the next Kyler or compared him in any way other than the style of play.  

• WarTiger changed the title to Dee Davis Article
48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Pretty sure he looked good in his first spring game as well.

I think he did.  Very limited Gus destruction at that point.

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So I don't understand why you are still carrying the you can't say this it's in during spring b.s.  You are purposely taking something out of context again to pass an agenda.

This isn't serious.  I'm just joking around.  No agenda here.

• 6 months later...

Would not surprise me to see TJ transfer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

That would stink but wouldn't surprise me either. Dude is a solid backup with tons of room to grow. But I do think either him or DD leave after spring. Be interesting to see if we take a second HS QB in February or two portal QB's to make sure we're 4 deep

10 minutes ago, WarTim said:

I’m pretty sure he’s used his one time ‘immediate eligibility’ transfer so he would have to sit a year or go FCS. At least that’s my understanding. 

• Like 2

Hopefully CBH has a solid plan for the QB position, this could get ugly real quick.  I can’t see how we retain DD when he was pretty much ignored all season by the coaching staff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Hopefully CBH has a solid plan for the QB position, this could get ugly real quick.  I can’t see how we retain DD when he was pretty much ignored all season by the coaching staff.

Could you explain to me how he was "pretty much ignored" by the coaching staff?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Could you explain to me how he was "pretty much ignored" by the coaching staff?

How much PT did he get this season?  Any mop-duty, or any mention of him getting prepped to be the #2-#3 QB on the roster?  Hell, Finley was hobbled badly in the IB and the coaches kept him in the game even after he became a liability rather than give DD a few snags.