USMNT SOCCER

AUBwins

19 hours ago, arein0 said:

I still think our weakest positions are striker and center d. Yes, Balogun and Pepe are better than what we had at the World Cup, but I don't think they are ready, yet. And what I mean by that is that there are long stretches where both seemingly just disappear from the game

I am convinced Flo is the answer. He’s a complete striker. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I am convinced Flo is the answer. He’s a complete striker. 

Maybe. He is the best out of the 4 we played. He certainly has the potential, but we only scored 3 goals in 3 games.

The other thing you have to remember is that this team is still very young. We only have 2 field player starters over the age of 26. This core probably has 2 more World Cup runs

The federation that hired ggg is the real problem.  Who fires those guys?  Who decided/decides US soccer is the entity to represent the USA?  Who can force changes and n the brass there?  They are the incompetent homers that have ultimately screwed the last several years up.  Ggg should never have made it to the 22 World Cup as the coach.  

7 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

The federation that hired ggg is the real problem.  Who fires those guys?  Who decided/decides US soccer is the entity to represent the USA?  Who can force changes and n the brass there?  They are the incompetent homers that have ultimately screwed the last several years up.  Ggg should never have made it to the 22 World Cup as the coach.  

Saw something interesting last night that basically said how our youth sports is set up and no promo/rel leagues is causing us to fall behind even more. Currently our youth sports is funded by the parents where almost everywhere else is funded by professional players contracts. This changes the clubs incentive from winning at all costs to developing the players. I can't tell you how many club teams I've coached against that put their best player up top and told their players to kick it as hard as they can forward. This win now attitude is only setting the players back as none are getting developed on how to play the game. The funding also drastically limits who is even able to play. Not having the promo/rel system makes it much harder at identifying up and coming coaches/players

He pointed out our best players were all developed overseas.

Makes sense, and I'm wondering if that is why we are also starting to see a massive Euro invasion in the NBA as well.

2 hours ago, arein0 said:

Saw something interesting last night that basically said how our youth sports is set up and no promo/rel leagues is causing us to fall behind even more. Currently our youth sports is funded by the parents where almost everywhere else is funded by professional players contracts. This changes the clubs incentive from winning at all costs to developing the players. I can't tell you how many club teams I've coached against that put their best player up top and told their players to kick it as hard as they can forward. This win now attitude is only setting the players back as none are getting developed on how to play the game. The funding also drastically limits who is even able to play. Not having the promo/rel system makes it much harder at identifying up and coming coaches/players

He pointed out our best players were all developed overseas.

Makes sense, and I'm wondering if that is why we are also starting to see a massive Euro invasion in the NBA as well.

One of the reasons I think Klinnsman was one of the best USMNT coaches.  His tactics may have been questionable but he forced the player pool dynamic to get our players to play overseas and not mls.  Our entire pool plays in Europe.  He forced our young pros to become better players because they play for “real” pro clubs.  Maybe one day mls will have the same results.

I’m all for people making a buck, but parents wanting little Johnny to be the next all American is the real problem.  The kids that become great players - you can’t hold them back.  There needs to be a way for them to organically grow.  I always compare it to pickup basketball.  Soccer needs the American version of that.

i had a kid that was a multi year ODP player.  That was a great soccer environment.  I’m not a fan of the club soccer scene. Most parents don’t really understand It’s a business and your kid is the commodity.  If you understand that, it makes decisions easier.  These clubs present themselves like they are rec leagues from us old peoples’ youth.  It is not.  Big business.  The CEO’s of Birmingham united and vestavia hills soccer clubs were making $200k and $190k back 5-7 years ago.  Bham soccer club paid a girl straight from playing at North Carolina $60k to coach a couple youth squads and do some minor admin work so they could market her presence at the club.

its business.  Your kid is secondary.  Teaching kids how to play is down the list.  There are exceptions to this and we were very lucky to have a few of them coaching my kids.

Had to happen. Let’s see how USSoccer does on the new hire. Probably gonna be Cherundolo. 

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Had to happen. Let’s see how USSoccer does on the new hire. Probably gonna be Cherundolo. 

Shoot for the moon and target Klopp

Southgate stepped down after Euro defeat for England.  Plans to be USA coach?

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Southgate stepped down after Euro defeat for England.  Plans to be USA coach?

Surprised because I thought he exceeded expectations by making the final. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Surprised because I thought he exceeded expectations by making the final. 

Not to me. I thought they had by far the easiest path to the final and looked pretty bad in most games. When the bracket was finalized i said England gets a free pass to the finals and the winner of Spain and Germany will win it all. I thought they played down to their competition and didn't really show up until they needed to.

Edited by arein0

Pochettino is apparently a serious candidate. I wouldn’t say no to that. 

• Wow 1

Especially if England is considering for their position as well?  Could be a nice fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the most complete the women have looked in years. Rodman is a holy terror. 

• Like 1

Yes she is.  Thought the same thing.  Love the aggressive style.  That front line is lethal 

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of smoke around Pochettino right now. 

It’s Poch. Happy with the hire. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AUDub said:

It’s Poch. Happy with the hire. 

Home-run hire. Best realistic coach the USMNT could have gotten. I’ve been reading some comments online and haven’t realized how irrational some are, saying he was a failure or there were better options. I feel like people have not really looked at his tenure at PSG and Chelsea without context. Those two places are organizational 💩 shows and there is a reason why they haven’t won anything in a few years. He actually had Chelsea on a run at the end of last year, but Chelsea being as impatient as they are, decided to move on from him. And no one talks about the overwhelming success he had at Tottenham. They were nothing before he arrive and he made them a perennial contender in the EPL and even made the UCL final with Kane being hurt most of that year. I don’t get some of the backlash. He’s by far the best manager by resume USMNT has ever had and it’s not close.

• Like 1