scrimmage reveals ‘plenty’ to work on

aubiefifty

Auburn’s scrimmage reveals ‘plenty’ to work on

By Giana Han
6-7 minutes

With gray clouds looming and a strong breeze dancing through Jordan-Hare Stadium, the Auburn football team finally put all the new techniques and schemes they’ve learned into practice Thursday with the first scrimmage of the Bryan Harsin era.

“Had an opportunity to go out there and tackle and break tackles and work on some of those things that we’ve been spending time on in practice and ultimately just having a chance to compete, which was good to see,” coach Harsin said.

The three main things Harsin said he wanted to see out of this first scrimmage was the communication, operation and execution from the players and the coaches, from the booth to the sideline. This first time around, Harsin was pleased with the energy.

When it came to how the team actually competed, Harsin said there were some good things as well as “plenty” to work on. He specified that all three phases, “including special teams,” can improve. The special teams did not go live Thursday.

“Now, at this point, with our preparation, how far have we come as a staff with our players?” Harsin said. “And are we doing a good enough job of getting these guys ready to out there and execute in a moment like we had today. And, first glance of that, we’ve got a ways to go. We’ve got things we know we need to work on, and that’s ok.”

There wasn’t a specific goal of how far along Harsin and the coaches wanted to be by this first scrimmage. The key now is that they want to take the film from Thursday and evaluate during the week of rest so that they know what they need to focus on in the final two weeks of spring practice. The evaluation is also key for them to see what they’ll take into summer and then into fall camp.

From here, the team will take a break. Since Auburn doesn’t have spring break this year, just “wellness days,” Harsin wanted the team to have a chance to rest or catch up on whatever they need to.

“I think it’s a welcome week for them to just got and finish up some things they had to do personally, get their families here, take care of their families, take care of some personal things, whatever it is,” Harsin said. “Some of us get a haircut, whatever it might be.”

Auburn will return to practice the week of April 4. A-Day will be April 17 at 1 p.m.

Here are photos of the players and coaches from the open portion of Thursday’s practice:

Auburn football practice

Linebacker Chandler Wooten (31) takes a moment before stretches during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive tackle Jay Hardy (4) and the quarterbacks stretch during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive back Malcom Askey (16) and defensive tackle Marquis Burks (92) pose for a photo during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Outside linebackers coach Bert Watts, left, goes through a drill with the first team during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Linebackers Chandler Wooten (31) and Zakoby McClain hug during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. Wooten opted out of the 2020 season(Photo by Giana Han)

Ja'Varrius Johnson spring practice

Ja'Varrius Johnson (6) practices returning the ball with Auburn's special teams during Auburn's practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Auburn defense's first team runs through a drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. From left, defensive end Colby Wooden, nose tackle Tyrone Truesdell, linebacker Owen Pappoe, defensive tackle Marquis Burks, linebacker Zakoby McClain and edge Derick Hall run towards the red zone. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive tackle Zykeivous Walker runs through a blocking drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Tight ends coach Brad Bedell yells instructions during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive tackle Zykeivous Walker (3) and linebacker Wesley Steiner (32) run through a blocking drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Auburn football coach Bryan Harsin, left, high fives quarterback Bo Nix (10) during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Safety Smoke Monday catches the ball in a footwork drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive tackle Jeremiah Wright runs through a blocking drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Running backs Tank Bigsby (4), Jay Sharp (44) and Shaun Shivers (8) wait for their turn to go through a blocking drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive tackle Lee Hunter (44) works on his agility during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Quarterback Dematrius Davis (18) passes the ball during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett (18) and safety Devin Guice (28) go through a footwork drill during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Defensive end Colby Wooden works on his agility during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn football practice

Edge players Jaren Handy (55) and Derick Hall (25) go through a drill with outside linebackers coach Bert Watts during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Our players seem like they are really loving their new staff and culture. 

Just glad he didn't "great practice" it.

Defense is always ahead of offense this early.

One fumble and one interception (not thrown by Bo apparently) with one of those turnovers coming in the red zone. Also noted that there were a lot of penalty issues on offense. Not surprising and I'm sure that'll be a point of emphasis.

what really, we have stuff to work on? I love it. So refreshing with coach Hars.

and that's not sarcasm. Its the truth!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDl5O_M05jo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aDl5O_M05jo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bo and CBH already bonding well with each other! Doing the no-look low-five without a hitch baby!!! 😝 

29E3F5CA-92CA-47A4-86AE-18169EB05447.jpeg

I'm sure what we saw in the video was no different during Gus' time, but he kept everything 'closed'...it is refreshing to see coach Harsin and his staff allowing some 'openness' in the spring....

9 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I'm sure what we saw in the video was no different during Gus' time, but he kept everything 'closed'...it is refreshing to see coach Harsin and his staff allowing some 'openness' in the spring....

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more favorable coverage from the beat, too. That stuff matters.

11 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Are we just not going to comment on the fact that Shivers looks like a FB out there. 

Jeez.
image.png.5ba18aad2b95e589b5582f22d939d761.png

I'm trying not to talk about Worm anymore so I don't jinx anything. But... yeah.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm trying not to talk about Worm anymore so I don't jinx anything. But... yeah.

Rumor has it Worm doesn't wear a watch....he just decides what time it is.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

"Shiver" now means the opposite of what it used to, because Shaun has never been scared or cold.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Shiver" now means the opposite of what it used to, because Shaun has never been scared or cold.

It only takes Worm 20 minutes to watch 60 minutes

12 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

He looked upset that he couldn't maul would-be tacklers in the public practice.  He runs with such ferocity- it is super cool to watch.

The Littler Ball of Hate

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The Littler Ball of Hate

...... Like I would hate having to go up against him every day.  Never comes close to taking a play off, and if you do, that's your ass......

26 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

...... Like I would hate having to go up against him every day.  Never comes close to taking a play off, and if you do, that's your ass......

Exactly. Actually had a kid like that on my high school team,  just scaled down of course. As in, he was 5'4 145, and I was 6' 170ish. (Tiny high school, terrible football team.) Crazy burst. He very much fit the stereotype of a smaller guy feeling a constant need to assert himself and damn if he didn't. He would light your ass up every chance he got. Mean, tough dude. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. Actually had a kid like that on my high school team,  just scaled down of course. As in, he was 5'4 145, and I was 6' 170ish. (Tiny high school, terrible football team.) Crazy burst. He very much fit the stereotype of a smaller guy feeling a constant need to assert himself and damn if he didn't. He would light your ass up every chance he got. Mean, tough dude. 

All you tall people make us short people “mean”.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He doesn’t need a watch because he knows the time is NOW.

6 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Are we just not going to comment on the fact that Shivers looks like a FB out there. 

Jeez.
image.png.5ba18aad2b95e589b5582f22d939d761.png

That’s the first thing that stuck out to me in those pics!  Worm is swole, big time!!!

Archived