Nix understands importance of this spring

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Adjusting to 3rd OC in as many years, Auburn’s Bo Nix understands importance of this spring

Updated 8:15 AM; Today 8:15 AM

Nov 21, 2020; Auburn AL, USA; Bo Nix (10) close up before the game between Auburn and Tennesee at Jordan Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Bryan Harsin has been in Bo Nix’s position. He knows what it’s like to experience constant change.

During his playing career at Boise State, Harsin played for three different head coaches between 1995-99, as well as an interim head coach for much of the 1996 season. Now Nix is entering his third season at Auburn, playing for his second head coach in Harsin and his third different offensive coordinator in Mike Bobo while learning another new offensive system.

It’s an unenviable position for Nix, whose development has been impacted by the revolving door of coaches in his orbit since arriving at Auburn as well as the cancelation of spring practices a year ago due to COVID-19. But it’s a situation that Harsin is empathetic toward as he embarks on his first spring as Auburn’s head coach.

“I remember myself and when I played it was four different head coaches and four different systems and all that,” Harsin said. “You understand the concepts are similar in a lot of offenses. There’s a lot of the same as. The names change and maybe the way you read it and do it and look at it. I always appreciate that at the quarterback position, and all of the players on each side of the ball that have to learn something new, and it’s a little different language and you have to apply it.

“That takes some time, and I think that’s underestimated when there’s a change and players have to learn something new. That takes a tremendous amount of time to do that and a lot of energy and a lot of focus and a lot of dedication to have yourself ready.”

Nix’s time at Auburn, through two years, has been turbulent. He has produced impressive highs as well as some maddening lows. He has thrown game-winning touchdowns against Oregon in 2019 and Ole Miss last season, led an upset of Alabama in 2019 and took home SEC Freshman of the Year honors that same season.

But he has also struggled with consistency, completing fewer than 60 percent of his passes in each of his first two seasons and seeing his efficiency dip year over year, while also seeing his production drop off away from Jordan-Hare Stadium. He completed 64.8 percent of his passes, with eight touchdowns and just one interception, at home last season compared to a 57.2 percent clip with four touchdowns and six interceptions in road/neutral site games.

Nix shares how he handles criticism that comes with being Auburn's QB

"Even going to the cross, Jesus had people talking bad about him. So, if they were talking about him, then they’re going to consistently talk bad about me."

He didn’t take that crucial step forward in 2020 that many had hoped, which may have been in part because of adjusting to a new offensive system without the benefit of a full offseason of practices, and in part because he was playing behind an inexperienced and at times shaky offensive line.

Whatever the root cause, Nix understands the importance of this spring for his development and the opportunity he has in learning under Harsin and Bobo, both of whom have impressive track records working with quarterbacks during their careers.

“It’s huge, especially if I take advantage of it and make the most out of it,” Nix said. “What I’m really focusing on is, like I said, my technique and attention to detail and making every rep and every play count…. However it goes, I’m just making sure I learn the offense like I’m supposed to and learning the ins and outs of it so I’m prepared every day and I can get better and I can make strides this spring.”

When asked what he wants to most improve upon this spring, Nix said “every part” of his game. Then he elaborated. He wants to be more consistent and patient in the pocket. He wants to improve his footwork. He wants to do a better job of gauging his receivers’ speed and get on the same page, especially as Auburn replaces its top three wideouts from last season.

While Harsin didn’t commit to Nix as Auburn’s starting quarterback — noting that everybody should be competing in the spring, regardless of which starters were returning — he said the junior will open things atop the “pecking order” at quarterback and get the initial first-team reps. Nix’s job probably isn’t in any real jeopardy this offseason, but there are still expectations of the third-year starter during what could be the most crucial offseason of his career.

Harsin wants to see progress, from the first practice through A-Day. He wants to see an understanding of the offense. He wants to see someone who can make his system work.

“Let’s operate,” Harsin said. “Let’s operate from the sideline. Let’s get on the field. Let’s make sure we go through our process of communication. Let’s make sure we do it consistently in practice. Then when we get our chance to go make plays, for the quarterback position you want to be accurate and you want to make great decisions. I think that comes from our preparation and then also just our habits that we’re developing on the field as we get a chance to practice.

“The goal right now is to have these practices…. and then continue through the spring and not go backwards, hopefully, where we can have those 15 practices and have that film and have all that to go back and review during the off time leading into the summer. Then to build from that into our summer plan and into fall camp and the season eventually.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

this looks like an article i already posted but it said updated so if it brings nothing new to the table my apologies. i am trying to bring you guys some stuff to read.

Archived