linebacker corps in good spot

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Auburn linebacker corps in good spot entering spring

Updated 10:04 AM; Today 10:04 AM

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

We’re taking a look at each position group as Auburn prepares to open spring practice on March 15. The seventh of a 10-part series looks at the linebackers.

Linebacker should again be one of Auburn’s strengths heading into 2021, even with a new defensive coordinator in Derek Mason and position coaches in Jeff Schmedding and Bert Watts and the departure of team leader K.J. Britt.

Much like with the defensive line, though, how this unit ultimately looks on the field will depend on what Mason wants to do schematically. Auburn has largely played two-linebacker formations over the last several years under former defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, but as we mentioned yesterday, Mason has been best known for his 3-4 defense—meaning Auburn could implement more four-linebacker sets this spring. Of course, Mason likes to be multiple in what he does, so that leaves flexibility with how Auburn’s depth chart at linebacker will shake out this offseason.

For the purposes of this preview, though, we’ve broken the depth chart down into just three linebacker positions, as the fourth spot would likely fall into the stand-up edge-rusher position we discussed with the defensive line group. It’s possible that many of these players can be moved around at either inside or outside linebacker, but here’s how we see the depth chart entering the start of spring.

Projected depth chart:

Outside linebacker

T.D. Moultry, senior, nine tackles in 11 games.

Cam Riley, sophomore, nine tackles in 11 games, including one start.

Inside linebacker

Zakoby McClain, senior, led SEC with 113 tackles, with 5.5 for a loss and three sacks, started nine games and played in all 11.

Chandler Wooten, senior, opted out of 2020 season.

Desmond Tisdol, sophomore, two tackles in five games.

Inside linebacker

Owen Pappoe, junior, finished with 93 tackles while starting all 11 games.

Wesley Steiner, sophomore, three tackles in nine games.

Kameron Brown, junior, appeared in one game.

Departed: K.J. Britt, graduated.

Due to arrive in the fall: Joko Willis, three-star JUCO transfer; Dylan Brooks, four-star freshman defensive end/outside linebacker.

Outlook: Auburn’s linebacker group entered last season expecting to be among the SEC’s best, and despite the preseason opt-out of Chandler Wooten and an early-season injury to team captain K.J. Britt, the linebacker corps did not disappoint. That was largely due to the play of Zakoby McClain and Owen Pappoe — and it’s why this group should again be among the league’s bet at the position.

McClain stepped up in a major way as a junior after making a name for himself in the 2019 Iron Bowl. He slid into the starting spot vacated by Britt and proceeded to lead the SEC and tie for the FBS lead in tackles, with 113. “Ricochet Rabbit,” as he’s known, somehow didn’t earn All-SEC honors last fall — leaving a chip on his shoulder heading into his senior season. Pappoe, meanwhile, was second on the team (and eighth in the SEC) with 93 tackles. He started every game for the second straight season, and now the former five-star prospect heads into Year 3 entrenched as one of Auburn’s starters at linebacker.

Those two should easily handle inside duties for Auburn’s new-look defense, and they’ll add a familiar face back to the rotation, too. Chandler Wooten is returning for Auburn after opting out of last season due to health and safety concerns relating to the pandemic, as he welcomed his first child back in November. Wooten, a senior, hasn’t been a starter at linebacker, but he has been a key rotation piece over the years, appearing in 30 games with 45 tackles. He’s a veteran presence whose voice carries weight in the Tigers’ locker room, making him a key offseason “addition” for Auburn’s defense. Sophomore Wesley Steiner, a former four-star prospect who saw action in nine games as a freshman, should continue to see his playing time grow in the rotation at middle linebacker as well.

The outside linebacker spot should be one to watch this offseason, and returning senior T.D. Moultry — who is taking advantage of the NCAA’s extra year of eligibility — could be primed to fill that spot after making the move from defensive line back to his natural linebacker position. Moultry, who came to Auburn as a highly touted linebacker prospect, struggled in his move to the line — both in terms of production (nine tackles in 11 games last season) and penalties, as he was often caught offside. Moultry has the ability to play both inside and outside, so it will be interesting to see how Mason and his staff line him up this offseason. If not Moultry, sophomore Cam Riley could be primed for a position on the outside after appearing in nine games and making one start (against South Carolina) as a true freshman last season.

Up next: Cornerbacks.

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This won't be received well

Would you elaborate as to why you think this won't be taken well?

Personally I don't think McClain or Pappoe have the size to play ILB in a 3-4.  No doubts on their desire and abilities, but 3-4 requires LB to get off of OL more than what they are use to and my opinion is that they did not do that all that well last year.

• WarTiger changed the title to linebacker corps in good spot
On 3/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, LKEEL75 said:

Personally I don't think McClain or Pappoe have the size to play ILB in a 3-4.  No doubts on their desire and abilities, but 3-4 requires LB to get off of OL more than what they are use to and my opinion is that they did not do that all that well last year.

After Britt went out, we didn't have a thumper in the middle. Teams, notably Tennessee and USCe ripped us right up the gut. Unless Steiner or the transfer guy make huge strides I don't see us having a stopper again this season. Also, anyone who can count can see we lack the necessary numbers to run a 3-4 defense. One injury and we would be in a fix. While we have some experience, I wouldn't say we're in a "good spot".

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

After Britt went out, we didn't have a thumper in the middle. Teams, notably Tennessee and USCe ripped us right up the gut. Unless Steiner or the transfer guy make huge strides I don't see us having a stopper again this season. Also, anyone who can count can see we lack the necessary numbers to run a 3-4 defense. One injury and we would be in a fix. While we have some experience, I wouldn't say we're in a "good spot".

So...would you say Gus did a poor job addressing the LB needs or is it probably someone else's fault

On 3/9/2021 at 5:11 PM, LKEEL75 said:

Would you elaborate as to why you think this won't be taken well?

Pappoe is definitely not an ILB, but I think McClain can be. 

As for why it won't be taken well, suffice it to say that some fans have wildly different standards for different position groups. One might theorize that said discrepancy is based on which coach from the previous staff was primarily responsible for each group's perceived shortcomings., but that would of course be conjecture based on nothing more than years of consistent messaging through their posts on this site. 

If we start the season with Pappoe and McClain at ILB then we are not in a good spot at that position. I would love to see Pappoe play in space more. He would thrive playing in a traditional OLB position. He greatest asset is speed and he loses the ability to show that off when playing inside. We do have lots of potential talented players that could fill in as a traditional ILB but none have done it yet so we'll have to wait and see. While McClain is not the size i'd like at my ILB position you can't argue with his results. That guy knows how to navigate in traffic and get off blocks. I'd love to see Moultry thrive at the ILB position but i have no idea if he could handle that spot. If i was a betting man my money would be on Steiner being the one to step up. 

56 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So...would you say Gus did a poor job addressing the LB needs or is it probably someone else's fault

LB recruiting has been so-so at best since Muschamp's one solid year of recruiting the position. Those who disagree have fallen back on the questionable statement "But we only use two linebackers". That wasn't true but the recruiting was borderline even for that assumption. Now the discussion is about going to a four linebacker base and we clearly don't have the proven numbers for that.

What we have is two proven guys who are both on the small side for MLB, one (Riley) who has shown some promise in limited opportunities and a bunch of question marks.

If you believe those who claimed we only used two LB's, then Mason is to blame for changing the scheme. If you think signing only one LB on occasion (2016 and 2021 classes) was not sufficient, then blame Gus for the 2016 and Harsin for 2021 classes.

I guess you can argue it's in a good but not great spot? All of this is moot though because all of this will be dependent on how well the d line adjusts and to be even more specific how well we develop nose tackles. 

That's literally it. It's really that simple.

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I guess you can argue it's in a good but not great spot?

I'd love to hear somebody say "great" and then explain why. And that's not a pre-argumentative stance. I'd just love to hear that argued. I'm in no way that optimistic myself.

I'm good with "good" because I personally believe we have talent. I agree that we don't have the size we need to be as good as we were a couple years ago with Deshaun Davis and Trey Williams. 

But like you and @Win4AU are saying, our DL has a lot to say about how well we can do without that extra beef. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

LB recruiting has been so-so at best since Muschamp's one solid year of recruiting the position. Those who disagree have fallen back on the questionable statement "But we only use two linebackers". That wasn't true but the recruiting was borderline even for that assumption. Now the discussion is about going to a four linebacker base and we clearly don't have the proven numbers for that.

What we have is two proven guys who are both on the small side for MLB, one (Riley) who has shown some promise in limited opportunities and a bunch of question marks.

If you believe those who claimed we only used two LB's, then Mason is to blame for changing the scheme. If you think signing only one LB on occasion (2016 and 2021 classes) was not sufficient, then blame Gus for the 2016 and Harsin for 2021 classes.

So it is not Gus's fault.  Ok

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

What about the linebacker who sat out last season?  Can’t recall his name , Wooten?

10 hours ago, toddc said:

What about the linebacker who sat out last season?  Can’t recall his name , Wooten?

He says he's coming back. That may work out and it may not but he could make a difference if he can pick up where he left off.

3/4 versus 4/3...I've always been a fan of controlling the line of scrimmage, which I believe the 3/4 lacks that ability, but with the style of offenses being run today a 3/4 may be the best choice. However, with any defense that is chosen I'm positive the coaches will be flexible and as Cole states always be solid in the middle with a nose tackle that requires doubles and I'll add a bad a$$ middle linebacker.

By being solid up the middle it forces offenses to play sideways to gain yards, which is usually a plus for defenses.

28 minutes ago, creed said:

3/4 versus 4/3...I've always been a fan of controlling the line of scrimmage, which I believe the 3/4 lacks that ability, but with the style of offenses being run today a 3/4 may be the best choice. However, with any defense that is chosen I'm positive the coaches will be flexible and as Cole states always be solid in the middle with a nose tackle that requires doubles and I'll add a bad a$$ middle linebacker.

By being solid up the middle it forces offenses to play sideways to gain yards, which is usually a plus for defenses.

Absolutely. And if you get them going sideways and you get the QB rushing throwing the ball before he wants to, bad things usually happen.

On the down side is if you play a QB that can move.....he can really make you pay if he gives himself enough time. But I guess that's true against any defense. But if you think about it, if banner is going to have trouble it's against that type of QB

Archived