Baseball vs Boston College (weekend series)

21 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We were supposed to play Xavier this weekend.  Are we better off for having played BC, or would we have profited more from playing Xavier?  Or the third option, playing no one?  

Easily better off playing BC. If we play and beat X four times last weekend, I don't think we learn as much about our team as we did in the three games against BC. Better competition helps expose weaknesses, which is great to have happen before conference play. I was a lot more concerned about the team last year going into SEC play than I will be about this team. We looked non-competitive all around last year against halfway quality opponents, going 0-4 against good teams. This year, we haven't won either "series" but should've been 4-2 over the last two weekends against 3 NCAAT teams and a borderline team in Baylor. Starting pitching has been strong for the most part. The offense has been consistent. Defense has been really good all season. Just have to figure out the backend of the bullpen and learn how to close out games. Some of that is pinned on injuries and some of that is performance and decision making. But none of it has cost us an SEC series while learning some valuable lessons. 

I think, when everyone is healthy and roles and routines are defined, we will see a better overall, more complete performance from our team. We're still going to lose some games, but I think we have the pieces to be a big thorn in the sides of a lot of SEC teams this year and be a bit of a surprise to some.

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

Easily better off playing BC. If we play and beat X four times last weekend, I don't think we learn as much about our team as we did in the three games against BC. Better competition helps expose weaknesses, which is great to have happen before conference play. I was a lot more concerned about the team last year going into SEC play than I will be about this team. We looked non-competitive all around last year against halfway quality opponents, going 0-4 against good teams. This year, we haven't won either "series" but should've been 4-2 over the last two weekends against 3 NCAAT teams and a borderline team in Baylor. Starting pitching has been strong for the most part. The offense has been consistent. Defense has been really good all season. Just have to figure out the backend of the bullpen and learn how to close out games. Some of that is pinned on injuries and some of that is performance and decision making. But none of it has cost us an SEC series while learning some valuable lessons. 

I think, when everyone is healthy and roles and routines are defined, we will see a better overall, more complete performance from our team. We're still going to lose some games, but I think we have the pieces to be a big thorn in the sides of a lot of SEC teams this year and be a bit of a surprise to some.

That's a great assessment. 

Archived