the jboy show featuring pat dye jr

aubiefifty

Pat Dye Jr, son of legendary Auburn coach Pat Dye, joins The Jboy Show to share stories about Coach Dye that had never been told publicly before and shares some emotional details about Coach Dye's final days -- including a call with Bo Jackson. #WarEagle #PatDye #Auburn

Wow, that was very powerful and emotional.  Lots of nuggets of information and stories I didn't know before. 

Thanks for sharing.

Its definitely a tearjerker in spots(even for the host). Wow. Good stuff. Thought I had heard everything about Pat Dye, but I was wrong. 

Hearing it from his son, makes it even more sincere and real. 

Thanks for finding this.

p.s. didn't realize Jboy's dad was Dye Jr's first client. Interesting. 

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I loved that ole man. 

my sterp father who was more of a father to me than my real dad was dying of lung cancer and the family called auburn because he loved dye so much. this was on a sunday. on monday he got all kinds of auburn goodies and a letter that was handwritten by coach and he told my stepfather " tough times never last but tough folks do". he made my stepfather cry and my stepfather was a badazz and it was the only time i ever saw him cry. i still tear up thinking about it. and i met dye and one of those coaches dinners where they come talk to folks and gave him a case pocket knife and told him what it meant to everyone. he was great but he kept looking at my long hair and made me nervous and i remember thinking i wonder what he looks like when he is really mad.........lol.

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Where can you listen to Jboy podcast at?

youtube

Just now, autiger88 said:

Just YouTube? No podcast anywhere?

tis all i got brother. but i am a geezer so ask a younger cat that keeps up with stuff.

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Its definitely a tearjerker in spots(even for the host). Wow. Good stuff. Thought I had heard everything about Pat Dye, but I was wrong. 

Hearing it from his son, makes it even more sincere and real. 

Thanks for finding this.

p.s. didn't realize Jboy's dad was Dye Jr's first client. Interesting. 

And I didn't know that Jboy's dad, former AU star LB Kurt Crain, killed himself while a coach at Univ.of South Alabama. Sad

9 hours ago, autiger88 said:

Where can you listen to Jboy podcast at?

Apple, Spotify, all the usual suspects. I’m on iOS/Apple and it’s in the podcast section. 

15 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

And I didn't know that Jboy's dad, former AU star LB Kurt Crain, killed himself while a coach at Univ.of South Alabama. Sad

He was suffering from some health condition that left him in a lot of pain. Very sad.

Powerful interview. Too bad Coach didn't have all the diversity seminars we have today. He would have been able to reach some people from different walks of life.  
Sarcasm/off.

I remember sitting in Jordan Hare while UT kicked AU like a stepchild at homecoming. My AU grad dad just stared and watched the game. When it was over he said 'War Eagle anyway'. In 1989 he told me how to comport myself as an Auburn man when I went to the first Iron bowl in Auburn. He had tears in his eyes. Yeah. I miss my dad. And Coach Dye. 

I was a snotty, puffy eyed, blubbering pile of goo while listening to that pulling into my garage after work yesterday.  My wife thought something was really wrong. I had to compose myself to just tell her about what I was listening to.   Most of us try to be tough when it comes to these things, but when 2 men can't carry on because of the sheer emotion of the moment, I can't help joining them in that emotion.  Empathy is lacking in so many parts of society.   Losing your father is never easy.  Glad we got to experience some of  Coach Dye from people who truly loved him.  

I grew up in the same Auburn neighborhood where the Dye’s lived. One day a group of us were playing football in our front yard and a truck pulled over to the curb and the engine turned off. After about 5 minutes the car cranked and the window rolled down. Pat Dye sticks his head out and says, “Y’all keep it up. We really could use you at Auburn.” Do you know how that felt to a group of 12-year-olds?! He did NOT have to go out of his way like that.

Archived