runnin red

aubiefifty

19 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had the opportunity to work as night security for the paddock(both garages and driver/owner compound) area at Talladega back in the 2000’s( after Dale passed). I met most of the drivers and the large majority of them were super cool.

Similar. Did freelance photog work at one Bush and 500 at Talledega. Got the spot in front of turn 1 between the infield fence and the track. I caught a great wreck picture that went out on the press wire. Unrestricted access the rest of the time. My prior conception was that the garage was like a bigger collection of people like my extended family. Drivers and team staff were awesome. Anything but hapless good-ol-boys. This was while DAllison, DEearnhart, BElliott, RWallace and other legends were there and things were good. Meh - fans are fans: unproductive to stereotype and vilify.

Now, the butt ugly cars that are as far from "stock" as you can get, roaming in a circle at the same speed like my daily commute is no longer enjoyable. In misguided attempts to appeal to everyone and offend no one, it's now less interesting than watching traffic camera feed. I'm not saying to disregard safety. I propose to you that the redneck autoban that is I-65 between Montgomery and Huntsville exhibits much more conflict, competition, mortal danger, and all cars are "stock" (or close to it)! I'd much rather drive around an oval at 200 MPH in a well-maintained car with a roll cage among expert drivers than 80 MPH over Lacon hill with angry/distracted/point-and-go crowds.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:45 PM, RunInRed said:

Not much of NASCAR follower anymore but the username emanated from a bar sign at a local watering hole out Wire Rd during my time on the Plains ...

Image 11 - 2001-Budweiser-Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-Running-in-the-Red-NASCAR-poster

Why do I seem to have a blurry association with that poster + Wire Road + 75-cent beast + a certain David Allan Coe song??

Used to be a huge NASCAR fan. I’ve pulled for Elliot, Alabama gang and Matt Kenseth.

The COT (car of tomorrow) and going to a playoff format killed the sport.

I haven’t paid attention since Kenseth,Jr., JJ and that era retired.

red farmer got too old to race in the big tracks but he would go to the dega dirt track and that old man would beat everyone silly. and pretty much every single time he raced there.

Archived