Breaking down 2021 schedule

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

I agree, i do think TAMU and LSU are vulnerable. Both on the road makes it that much more difficult though

It's been 2 decades since we beat LSU in BR.  At this point I'm not sure it'll ever happen again.

Aggies lost a lot, I agree.  We'll see what they have coming back in

Some People are underrating Penn State I'm afraid. Yes, they had a terrible start to the season last year, but they did win their last 4 games and actually finished middle of the pack in the Big Ten. If near max capacity attendance is allowed in the fall, it'll be a pretty tough game.

I'm hopeful for 9-3 or 8-4; but me being a natural pessimist, I think 7-5 or even 6-6 might be more likely with everything in the probgram having to make major changes in the middle of a pandemic. Hope my gut feeling is super wrong, But I think i'll be prepared for some  big up and down moments. Maybe a too close for comfort game against one of the early cupcakes? Maybe a loss or even two to the 'should wins' like Arky, MSU, Scar? Then maybe a win against one of the 'big 3'? 

Might have to give Harsin a bit of a mulligan on year one if everything doesn't go to plan. 

It’s going to be messy learning new schemes on both sides of the ball.   Our extremely tough schedule compounds any issues we have.   I really like where we’re headed! It just takes time to build culture.  

I’m thinking 7-5 to 8-4, but again, the attitude, development, and improvement is much more important than the final record this year.  
Unfortunately, we don’t stand much of a chance against our two biggest rivals.  The other 10, I think we have at least a decent chance.  LSU and PSU were train wrecks last year, but will be much better this year.  LSU has a lot of transition as well.  I think we always have a fair chance against a Jimbo coached team even if they are more talented.  I think Ole Miss, Arky, and MS St. will all be improved, but games we are more likely to squeak out a win (Ole Miss is gonna be the toughest of that group!).  The other 3 OOC games and usce should be wins.  

On 1/31/2021 at 10:15 AM, aucom96 said:

Weak OL, ridiculously thin at RB, lost all of our playmakers at WR, defense is still growing and a pretty tough schedule. Arkansas, Ole Miss and State should all be improved and we barely beat Arkansas. We'll have them on the road this year. 

If Harsin gets 8 wins, we should all be very happy about the future. I'm thinking 6 or 7. Gus didn't leave us very well stocked and we'll be changing everything. Nevertheless, I'm very happy I won't be watching a Malzahn offense this Fall. 

I second that. Was so bored watching Malzahns same offense for 8 years with very little change or new ingenuity to it. Our recruiting class was in trouble even before he was fired. I do think a lot of this will be corrected with better coaching and may show up on the field even without all the four and five star recruits. I think 7 and possibly 8, but I’m just hoping to see progress and tough play. I’m expecting no major miracles and hope we are back in the elite discussion by year 3 of this new era. 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, bigbird said:

That's where I'm at too. Just wondering exactly which teams though.

Just a gut feeling, but I think we beat PennSt. 

I think we go 7/5 or 8/4 at best which is good w me all things considered. I think we should beat PSU as well and Miss St. I think our 4 losses would be almost obvious as usual. Bama, Ga, LSU, and Tamu. A fifth possible loss to me would be Ole Miss. I do think our outside chance at only 3 losses in regular season would be Bama, Tamu and I could actually see us finally winning in Baton Rouge and possibly pulling our biggest upset beating Ga. If we manage a win against LSU or Ga, i don’t see why 9/3 isn’t possible, but that’s definitely the highest ceiling in my opinion. Would like to hear more thoughts on our chances during this dead period in College ball. 

Remember, the last time Auburn had a new coach that did NOT do phenomenal things in his first couple seasons - often with marginal players - was 1976.

7 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Some People are underrating Penn State I'm afraid. Yes, they had a terrible start to the season last year, but they did win their last 4 games and actually finished middle of the pack in the Big Ten. If near max capacity attendance is allowed in the fall, it'll be a pretty tough game.

I'm hopeful for 9-3 or 8-4; but me being a natural pessimist, I think 7-5 or even 6-6 might be more likely with everything in the probgram having to make major changes in the middle of a pandemic. Hope my gut feeling is super wrong, But I think i'll be prepared for some  big up and down moments. Maybe a too close for comfort game against one of the early cupcakes? Maybe a loss or even two to the 'should wins' like Arky, MSU, Scar? Then maybe a win against one of the 'big 3'? 

Might have to give Harsin a bit of a mulligan on year one if everything doesn't go to plan. 

8-4 is a success IMO and something to build on going forward. If.......we look hungry and competitive. I don't expect his plan to be fully in place in year 1, but I expect to see flashes of it here and there for sure. I'm soooo anxious to see what kind of developmental improvements this staff can make on the kids we already had prior to Harsin being hired. Man, I'm excited for those guys.

12 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Remember, the last time Auburn had a new coach that did NOT do phenomenal things in his first couple seasons - often with marginal players - was 1976.

True, but I think the circumstances are quite a bit different this time.   I think year 3 is going to be when we see the results on the field (as far as W-L, in the thick of championships, etc.).  The talent and state of the program between the haves (especially bama) and everyone else is wider than ever before.  That’s a huge mountain to climb.   By year 2 maybe we can start to separate ourselves from the middle of the pack, maybe even let LSU and TamU know they’ll be battling for 3 and 4 in the West from now on.  But I’m hoping by year 3 we’re getting to the level where we can consistently go toe to toe with the west Vance turds on the field and in recruiting and win our fair share, and honestly, year 3 may be a little too early.  

Archived