10 Auburn players with the most to gain in spring practice

aubiefifty

247sports.com

10 Auburn players with the most to gain in spring practice

ByJason Caldwell

7-8 minutes

Manage

AUBURN, Alabama–With a new offensive system to be installed under the direction of head coach Bryan Harsin and coordinator Mike Bobo, Auburn’s offense could look very different for the 2021 football season. That makes this spring an important time for the staff and while there are several important starters returning such as quarterback Bo Nix, running back Tank Bigsby, tight end John Samuel Shenker and the entire offensive line, replacing the top three wide receivers from a year ago is a huge undertaking.

Also important will be trying to build depth at running back with only two scholarship players on campus at the position.

Elijah Canion—Only playing in two games last season, Canion had one of the biggest breakout performances in recent memory in Auburn’s bowl game loss to Northwestern. In that game at Orlando he caught three passes for 80 yards and a touchdown. Those were his only three receptions of the year, but in that small sample you saw a big, athletic wide receiver with good hands. The 6-4, 213 Canion will have the chance to build on that game as he heads into spring practices with plenty of momentum and confidence. He averaged better than 21 yards per catch as a high school star at Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood, Fla.

Brenden Coffey—Playing in five games last season after coming to Auburn out of junior college, Coffey showed that he has got what it takes to play in the Southeastern Conference but now it is time to take his game to the next level. The first order of business is to continue to add muscle to his 6-5 frame. Playing at just over 280 pounds last season, Coffey needs to add weight during the winter conditioning. If he is able to do that and keep his quickness and flexibility, he could be one of the big winners in spring practice for the Auburn offense.

Brandon Frazier—An athletic 6-7, 270 tight end from Texas, Frazier was a player the coaches raved about during preseason practices, but an undisclosed injury cost him much of his true freshman season with the Tigers. Making just two receptions for 13 yards, Frazier got into the mix late for the Auburn offense, but you could see how much the missed time impacted his performance. With a winter to get stronger it should help him with getting off the line of scrimmage and blocking on the edge. If he can improve those two things he could be a big weapon for Auburn in 2021.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

Chayil Garnett—There may be no player on the entire roster with an opportunity as big as the one Garnett has this spring. With Bo Nix being the only other returning scholarship quarterback on the roster, Garnett should get plenty of work and attention from Mike Bobo during the 15 days the Tigers have on the field. A very athletic player with a strong arm, Garnett has plenty of work to do on the fundamental side of things to be ready for life in the SEC, but this is a great opportunity to make some serious improvements in his game to be ready for the 2021 season.

Alec Jackson—Playing in 10 games last season as he worked into the starting left tackle role for the Auburn offense, the former defensive lineman improved steadily throughout the year until suffering a hand injury. Just two years on the job as an offensive lineman, Jackson showed the ability to bend and use his hands despite some early struggles in the protection department. With a year of experience under his belt the former Jeff Davis standout from Montgomery is a player who could really turn the corner as an offensive linemen in his third year at the position.

Alec Jackson improved throughout the year at left tackle. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Shedrick Jackson—Playing through an injury last season, Jackson caught just six passes for 84 yards in eight games in 2020, but enters the 2021 season as Auburn’s most experienced wide receiver by a wide margin. A player who is not afraid to do the dirty work, Jackson is probably Auburn’s most consistent outside blocker, but now is his time to become a threat in the passing game. This spring will be vital for Jackson to show that he is someone the coaches can count on to make plays down the field because there is going to be plenty of competition for playing time.

Malcolm Johnson Jr.—With the losses of Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove, one of the biggest needs for the Auburn offense going into the 2021 season will be finding a true speed threat that defenses have to pay attention to when he is on the field. Johnson, who is 6-1, 185 pounds, is the most obvious choice for that role after getting limited playing time last year after graduating high school early. One of the fastest players in the country as a high school wide receiver prospect, Johnson will have the chance to show what he can do to impress the new staff this spring.

Keiondre Jones—Following a redshirt season in 2019 after signing with the Tigers out of Callaway High in Georgia, Jones stepped into a starting role at guard in 2020 and may have been the most consistent offensive lineman for the Tigers down the stretch. A powerful run blocker who continued to improve his pass sets, Jones has an opportunity to become a dominant player for the Auburn offense in the years to come if he can continue to improve. With a year under his belt this is an important spring for Jones as he learns a new system under a new position coach in Will Friend. 

Jeremiah Pegues—It is a good question exactly where he will wind up in Auburn’s offense moving forward because he can do so many different things, but this winter conditioning and spring practice going to be big for Pegues to define his role for Coach Mike Bobo. Playing at around 300 pounds last season, he showed soft hands and the ability to make plays after the catch. The question is what could he do at 270? He has the skill set to play fullback/H-Back and potentially even some at running back with Auburn looking for depth. It might not be a bad idea for Auburn to take a look at Pegues as a potential monster back.

16COMMENTS

Kilian Zierer—Injuring a knee during the 2019 season while playing at the junior college in California, the 6-7, 294 Zierer was never able to get back healthy enough to play for Auburn last fall. With a full year under his belt it should allow Zierer to be ready in the spring, giving him the chance to show new offensive line coach Will Friend what he’s capable of doing at tackle. Even though the Tigers return both starting tackles from a season ago along with top reserve Austin Troxell, if Zierer steps up and shows he is capable then he could make a big move.

">247Sports

What if we took a page from the 85 Chicago Bears. Line Pegues up as the fullback in goal line situations.  Either blocking or carrying the ball I think that it would work well.  William "The Fridge " Perry would probably approve despite playing for Clemson. 

1 hour ago, Yabo said:

What if we took a page from the 85 Chicago Bears. Line Pegues up as the fullback in goal line situations.  Either blocking or carrying the ball I think that it would work well.  William "The Fridge " Perry would probably approve despite playing for Clemson. 

If we ever run I, put pegues at FB, set it it up, over time, to where we run a FB wheel and let the big man do his magic

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

If we ever run I, put pegues at FB, set it it up, over time, to where we run a FB wheel and let the big man do his magic

Or put him at DT.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Or put him at DT.

I don’t disagree with his ability to excel there, but you’re asking a guy that is talented on the offensive side to move to defense. I always wonder what Tega would’ve become as a DE vs OT

18 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I was thinking I formation. He is definitely athletic enough. It would be fun to see him utilized in this way. Harsin does like trick plays so it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

Just now, Yabo said:

I was thinking I formation. He is definitely athletic enough. It would be fun to see him utilized in this way. Harsin does like trick plays so it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

With years of gus I don’t consider a FB wheel a trick play 😂. I just consider it using your personnel lol

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

With years of gus I don’t consider a FB wheel a trick play 😂. I just consider it using your personnel lol

I agree that it's not however you don't usually have 300 lb fullbacks. You certainly don't see 300 lb fullbacks running wheel routes.  Bettis comes to mind but he was only around 250 lbs. 

I think there are a several guys on Offense that can really change the dynamic of their careers at AU under this staff. I would say the one to me with the most to gain is Malcom Jet Johnson. He is probably our fastest player now. Hopefully he is shiftier than Flash was. I would love to have a dynamic WR with blazing speed (ala Devonta Smith) being schemed open by Bobo and Hars. 

Defense, Bring on Cam Riley for me. 

22 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think there are a several guys on Offense that can really change the dynamic of their careers at AU under this staff. I would say the one to me with the most to gain is Malcom Jet Johnson. He is probably our fastest player now. Hopefully he is shiftier than Flash was. I would love to have a dynamic WR with blazing speed (ala Devonta Smith) being schemed open by Bobo and Hars. 

Defense, Bring on Cam Riley for me. 

You make a really great point, but if Worm stays then he might still be the fastest. Maybe. Not sure.

But, man, I'd forgotten all about Jet and I was super high on him coming in. You just gave me renewed optimism for some fun highlights in 2021.

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You make a really great point, but if Worm stays then he might still be the fastest. Maybe. Not sure.

But, man, I'd forgotten all about Jet and I was super high on him coming in. You just gave me renewed optimism for some fun highlights in 2021.

Straight line speed Worm probably still could be the fastest, but Worm is super shifty. I think some of that is by choice as he chooses to invoke his will and pinned up hatred towards any obstacle that stands in his way, and let them know that he is coming......he is coming...and hell is coming with him. 

I am going to go back and watch Jet's HS film to get a better gauge of what me may have. I actually think we will have the best WR corps we have had in a while by midseason. Capers...Canion...Hudson...Johnson... Reminds me of an attorney commercial as I am saying it in my head. Point is, lot of potential there. I know that is a bold claim. I will rephrase. I think we have the potential to have the best we have had in a while.

"Capers, Canion,Hudson and Johnson, Receivers at Football...are here for all of the receiving needs you may have. Down by 4 and need a score...search no more. Capers Canion Hudson and Johnson strive daily to excel on and off the field. Call 1-800-462-8243. Again 1-800-462-8243. 

No Representation is made that the quality of Receiving services is greater than the receiver services provided by other receivers"

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I actually think we will have the best WR corps we have had in a while by midseason. Capers...Canion...Hudson...Johnson... Reminds me of an attorney commercial as I am saying it in my head. Point is, lot of potential there. I know that is a bold claim. I will rephrase. I think we have the potential to have the best we have had in a while.

Talent-wise, it's hard to say because of how badly Gus misused the position. Production-wise, it's hard to imagine they won't accomplish far more than any group since at least 2014 and maybe a *lot* longer than that. 

Archived