Bobo and Bo: Can new OC take Nix to the next level?

aubiefifty

5 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I heard Cubelic as much as say it on WJOX that Nix was not taking to the coaching. Going to need a transfer, sounds like

I asked for clarification from others who listened to that, and as @Malcolm_FleX48 said earlier in the thread, it seems like it's less that Bo *couldn't* take the coaching than he *wouldn't*. That's a big difference to me. He wouldn't be the first, second or ten thousandth player to respond very differently to the proper motivation. 

I'm all for a transfer to come in for depth and competition, and I've been as hard on Bo as anyone, but I'm not giving up on him at all. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And, in our case, the proof has very much been in the pudding. We've seen it play out more than once. Of course, incoherent game plans that don't get receivers open don't help...

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I asked for clarification from others who listened to that, and as @Malcolm_FleX48 said earlier in the thread, it seems like it's less that Bo *couldn't* take the coaching than he *wouldn't*. That's a big difference to me. He wouldn't be the first, second or ten thousandth player to respond very differently to the proper motivation. 

I'm all for a transfer to come in for depth and competition, and I've been as hard on Bo as anyone, but I'm not giving up on him at all. 

It doesn't....

The best QBs with poor coaches win in spite of it. Those are the guys that when you get them good coaches, they become ALL WORLD. (See Houston Deshaun Watson)

The players who constantly have to have a gameplan that "Hides" or takes the ball out of their hands in order to win usually fall by the wayside when a coach comes in who's system places an emphasis on premium play at that position. I'm not a doomsayer, but I think that even with great coaching, Bo is going to find a whole new weight on his shoulders to excel as a player and it may be unrealistic to expect a MASSIVE leap in production given the fact that we don't even know how this next season is going to shake out in terms of spring, summer, camp, etc.

I wish Bo the best in terms of progression but I'm not exactly confident and I don't know if this coaching staff will be either. A lot can be inferred by offensive players transferring and declaring for the draft but I don't think it was because Harsin came in and said he is going to be hard on them. I know FB players, that doesn't scare people off until they get into it and at the very least make it to spring. I think the writing is on the wall from the backfield POV.....

Make of that what you will.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

The players who constantly have to have a gameplan that "Hides" or takes the ball out of their hands in order to win usually fall by the wayside when a coach comes in who's system places an emphasis on premium play at that position. I'm not a doomsayer, but I think that even with great coaching, Bo is going to find a whole new weight on his shoulders to excel as a player and it may be unrealistic to expect a MASSIVE leap in production given the fact that we don't even know how this next season is going to shake out in terms of spring, summer, camp, etc.

I wish Bo the best in terms of progression but I'm not exactly confident and I don't know if this coaching staff will be either. A lot can be inferred by offensive players transferring and declaring for the draft but I don't think it was because Harsin came in and said he is going to be hard on them. I know FB players, that doesn't scare people off until they get into it and at the very least make it to spring. I think the writing is on the wall from the backfield POV.....

Very good points. Especially about the transfers. Nobody has any trouble buying that players will line up to play with that blue chip alpha QB in their recruiting class. No reason it shouldn't work both ways. 

I've been wrong on QB's more than I'd like to remember or admit. (See Ben Leard after 1998. See Chris Todd before Malzahn in 2009.) So, odds are not bad that I'm wrong again. But my opinion right now is that Bo is one of those players who was a men among boys in high school, and he's not going to suddenly become something he's not. He is what he is and what you see is what you get. 

Bo suffered from a poor scheme, and has spent 3/4 of his time having bad pocket protection. Watching the NC last night, I saw two things that really helped Mac Jones. 1. His receivers had no problems getting open.2. He was under no pressure at all during the entirety of game. Is he going to turn a corner? I don’t know because he’s learned some pretty bad habits the last two years. But the talent is there, and he’s a gamer. Fix the scheme. Fix the OL. Run some drills where he’s forced to stay in the pocket against pressure. I think he’s fixable.

I do worry a bit about the offense though. Bobo’s offense is a little outdated. His passing concepts are more complicated than Gus’s, which should help receivers get open better. But he’s still running a lot of I formation power football, which teams in this league have learned how to defend. I hope Harsin has a big hand in the offense, and does what he can to make us more multiple. 

9 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Bo suffered from a poor scheme, and has spent 3/4 of his time having bad pocket protection. Watching the NC last night, I saw two things that really helped Mac Jones. 1. His receivers had no problems getting open.2. He was under no pressure at all during the entirety of game. Is he going to turn a corner? I don’t know because he’s learned some pretty bad habits the last two years. But the talent is there, and he’s a gamer. Fix the scheme. Fix the OL. Run some drills where he’s forced to stay in the pocket against pressure. I think he’s fixable.

I do worry a bit about the offense though. Bobo’s offense is a little outdated. His passing concepts are more complicated than Gus’s, which should help receivers get open better. But he’s still running a lot of I formation power football, which teams in this league have learned how to defend. I hope Harsin has a big hand in the offense, and does what he can to make us more multiple. 

According to a QB at Georgia that mentored him, Bobo's offense is multiple. He mentioned that Bobo knows to look at the personnel he has and mold his schemes around them. He also will have to incorporate what Harsin wants to run, moreso than what Bobo wants to run. So i expect to see multiple formations, motion, Power I, etc...

I wouldn't pin Bobo to what made Bobo successful only. Harsin will run this show...

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

It doesn't....

The best QBs with poor coaches win in spite of it. Those are the guys that when you get them good coaches, they become ALL WORLD. (See Houston Deshaun Watson)

Make of that what you will.

I suggested this but of course I couldn't be the one that say it. Now I'm just like we'll see. I can't help but to smh when I see those post that well this wrong and he didn't get this, and that person can't this and be sure to give him this, because he didn't have that, and then everything will be fine for Bo. I can only imagine what the players feel like and think

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

And therein is where the issue was.

2 Pronged. You can't complain about a player never listening if they're not motivated to improve in the way they're supposed to and you haven't given them any incentive to improve....

There is NO reason that Bo should have had card blanche' on his FRESHMAN year, let alone Sophmore year. And that's why I have been on record having so many problems with how Gus handled his QB room and QB situation. Whether or not Gatewood or Willis were better than Bo, they were competition and competition makes players elevate or wilt. If you deprive the QB of internal competition & don't know how they'll react to it, then you throw them into EXTERNAL competition.... They'll wilt. 80% of the time that QB will wilt....

Thanks! It's always great when someone with actual knowledge post!

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

According to a QB at Georgia that mentored him, Bobo's offense is multiple. He mentioned that Bobo knows to look at the personnel he has and mold his schemes around them. He also will have to incorporate what Harsin wants to run, moreso than what Bobo wants to run. So i expect to see multiple formations, motion, Power I, etc...

I wouldn't pin Bobo to what made Bobo successful only. Harsin will run this show...

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. 

Archived