Buckle up, Bryan Harsin

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Buckle up, Bryan Harsin: Auburn goes out with a whimper in Citrus Bowl blowout loss to Northwestern

SDS Staff | 5 hours ago

3-4 minutes

Auburn fired Gus Malzahn after the end of the 2020 regular season, but the Malzahn staff had one more game to coach before Bryan Harsin takes over. The Tigers under the Malzahn staff with interim coach Kevin Steele went out with a whimper, falling in Friday’s Citrus Bowl 35-19 to Northwestern.

It is Bryan Harsin’s team now and the new AU head coach has a big project on his hands, as pointed out by many on social media.

Here’s a small sample of what was said about the rebuild job Harsin and his staff has ahead of them:

Good luck, Bryan Harsin!

— Josh Moon (@Josh_Moon) January 1, 2021

Harsin, you’ve got some work to do.

— Taylor Davis (@taylorbethdavis) January 1, 2021

This is painful to watch lol. Auburn, I love you. Coach Harsin has a hell of a job ahead of him.

— The Dude AU (@WarDamnEagle_80) January 1, 2021

Bryan Harsin after sitting through this game pic.twitter.com/AlAX1Le2SM

— The Auburn Joker (@AuburnJoker) January 1, 2021

Briiinnnng on the Harsin era. Lord this was a tough game to watch. https://t.co/0yPzTliukz

— Austin Waits (@AustinWaits44) January 1, 2021

Fire the head coach!! Oh wait…. Bryan Harsin has inherited an absolute mess. #Auburn #WarEagle

— Ryan Gant (@ryan_gant) January 1, 2021

Bryan Harsin looking at how bad both of Auburn’s lines are, especially the offensive line. We know what needs to be the #1 priority. pic.twitter.com/3cbdDhWEg5

— Corey (@ItsHodgey) January 1, 2021

Cant really say I'm upset or disappointed because this is exactly how I expected this game to go. Harsin has alot of work to do.

— Chase (@ChaseIngram) January 1, 2021

Bryan Harsin watching what he has to inherit.

Thanks, Gus. pic.twitter.com/oCvIuR5ngB

— Adam Pope, APR (@adam_r_pope) January 1, 2021

Is Coach Harsin up for this challenge? After today- he might wish he asked for more money.

— T M Freeman (@1rightwife) January 1, 2021

My screwdriver in the perfect cup after watching my Auburn Tigers …looking forward to better days with our new coaching staff. Coach Harsin is cleaning house! #WDE #WarEagle pic.twitter.com/9jJSujSkbc

— Pamela Faletra (@faletramom) January 1, 2021

Harsin will earn every penny. This is a bad and broken football team.

— Scott Hall (@Coach_S_Hall) January 1, 2021

I feel bad for Harsin. He's getting a program that's been decimated from within.

— Crackerhead (@rgtill77) January 1, 2021

_ Aubiefiddy @ me   ... call me if ya need me coach

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

saturdaydownsouth.com

Buckle up, Bryan Harsin: Auburn goes out with a whimper in Citrus Bowl blowout loss to Northwestern

SDS Staff | 5 hours ago

3-4 minutes

Auburn fired Gus Malzahn after the end of the 2020 regular season, but the Malzahn staff had one more game to coach before Bryan Harsin takes over. The Tigers under the Malzahn staff with interim coach Kevin Steele went out with a whimper, falling in Friday’s Citrus Bowl 35-19 to Northwestern.

It is Bryan Harsin’s team now and the new AU head coach has a big project on his hands, as pointed out by many on social media.

Here’s a small sample of what was said about the rebuild job Harsin and his staff has ahead of them:

Good luck, Bryan Harsin!

This is painful to watch lol. Auburn, I love you. Coach Harsin has a hell of a job ahead of him.

Briiinnnng on the Harsin era. Lord this was a tough game to watch. https://t.co/0yPzTliukz

Fire the head coach!! Oh wait…. Bryan Harsin has inherited an absolute mess. #Auburn #WarEagle

Bryan Harsin looking at how bad both of Auburn’s lines are, especially the offensive line. We know what needs to be the #1 priority. pic.twitter.com/3cbdDhWEg5

Cant really say I'm upset or disappointed because this is exactly how I expected this game to go. Harsin has alot of work to do.

Is Coach Harsin up for this challenge? After today- he might wish he asked for more money.

My screwdriver in the perfect cup after watching my Auburn Tigers …looking forward to better days with our new coaching staff. Coach Harsin is cleaning house! #WDE #WarEagle pic.twitter.com/9jJSujSkbc

I feel bad for Harsin. He's getting a program that's been decimated from within.

And it really seemed to happen really get this bad this season. Last year (2019) saw a lot of great effort but 2 too many close games that could have just as easily been wins. But this entire year has been a struggle. I am hoping that a good bit of that struggle left the team tonite.

4 minutes ago, au701948 said:

And it really seemed to happen really get this bad this season. Last year (2019) saw a lot of great effort but 2 too many close games that could have just as easily been wins. But this entire year has been a struggle. I am hoping that a good bit of that struggle left the team tonite.

There's a reason but I'm not going to get into it. I'm just glad it's over and a new start is upon us. 

If Harsin wanted an easy job, he whould have applied at the post office. He could have ridden Boise to retirement a hero. He stepped up to the SEC west. If the fans will give him a little time to whip the program into shape, there is much to be optimistic about. I look forward to an Auburn FB coach giving unfocused players a little time to contemplate on the bench for a few plays and seeing who may be hungrier. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. No doubt some key players may post a negative tweet or two (and "insiders" will start reporting on how a revolt is brewing), before the wardrobe of big boy pants can be unlocked in the athletic complex and distributed to those exhibiting the stature to wear them. WDE!

6 minutes ago, au701948 said:

i love my tigers and it is one of the biggest loves in my life but auburn football has me worn down to a frazzle i can tell you. and i just cannot believe coach harsin gets this turned around in one year so it is not over yet. but i am solidly behind coach because i know we will get his best. it is getting the best from other coaches and players i worry about. and meddling.

Just now, AUx said:

If Harsin wanted an easy job, he whould have applied at the post office. He could have ridden Boise to retirement a hero. He stepped up to the SEC west. If the fans will give him a little time to whip the program into shape, there is much to be optimistic about. I look forward to an Auburn FB coach giving unfocused players a little time to contemplate on the bench for a few plays and seeing who may be hungrier. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. No doubt some key players may post a negative tweet or two (and "insiders" will start reporting on how a revolt is brewing), before the wardrobe of big boy pants can be unlocked in the athletic complex and distributed to those exhibiting the stature to wear them. WDE!

i will admit i was underwhelmed with coach dye until i heard his famous soundbite concerning bama.

Bunch of keyboard jockeys.  Yes, Harsin has a lot of work ahead, he knows this.   Oline needs a lot of work.  Fundamentals across the board need a lot of work.  Play-calling, well we know about that, which will improve.

What I saw isn't quite as bad as these guys make it sound.  I saw a defense that was gashed at times but gave the offense opportunity to take the lead.  Freakin 3&2 and we run wildcat with our 300#.  No one saw that coming.   Of course it would've been an easy first if it was a give on jet sweep.  Bo under center, yay, for a 4th& 6" only to decide not to stick his nose in there and push for a given first down, and try to do what a QB that has hardly ever sneaked a ball in his life do.  All of that is poor coaching.   

What I saw is a bunch of young guys fighting.  What were they fighting for?  I choose to believe it was for their love of Auburn, their love of each other and the prospects of a bright 2021 season with a new staff.  Our defense fought, they were just out-manned up front.  DE's and Buck's playing DT....never a winning formula. 

What I saw is almost exactly what I would've expected had Gus not been fired.  However, the difference was, and I loved it, was a 200# MLB stoning folks, WR's running good routes and fighting to get open.  Olineman and Dlineman fighting in the trenches even though they were overpowered. They will get better with just proper fundamentals and play-calling that isn't below middle school level.

What I saw has me excited, extremely excited for the future.  I dare anyone cancel spring and the AD game.  I will hunt you down.  War Damn Eagle!!! 

The cupboard isn't close to bare. But CBH may have to clean it out anyway if what's inside is spoiled.

I think we could have a typical Auburn coaching change "slingshot" season if he gets the guys we currently have to buy it. If not, it could be a few years.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will admit i was underwhelmed with coach dye until i heard his famous soundbite concerning bama.

I'm not sure which one. He was so prolifically poetic on the subject.

Dye was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But a recipe proven to work is a (real) vision of excellence, a system, discipline, and accountability. You may not win every game and you may fall short in some areas from time to time. But staying focused on those will get you pretty far. Wishy washy guys trying to make everyone happy, who never challenge their own viewpoints are the ones that make poor leaders. Usually they don't get $21M buyouts. AU is gonna be okay.

Just now, AUx said:

I'm not sure which one. He was so prolifically poetic on the subject.

Dye was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But a recipe proven to work is a (real) vision of excellence, a system, discipline, and accountability. You may not win every game and you may fall short in some areas from time to time. But staying focused on those will get you pretty far. Wishy washy guys trying to make everyone happy, who never challenge their own viewpoints are the ones that make poor leaders. Usually they don't get $21M buyouts. AU is gonna be okay.

they asked him how long would it take to beat bama and he said sixty minutes. i loved that and the confidence he had.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

they asked him how long would it take to beat bama and he said sixty minutes. i loved that and the confidence he had.

“Coach Bryant, before you start hugging me, you ought to know that my boys are fixing to get after y’all’s ass,”  Dye said.

“You ain’t trying to scare me now, are you, Pat?” asked the Bear.

“No sir, because I know you don’t get scared. I’m just telling you what we’re fixing to do.”

43 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

saturdaydownsouth.com

SDS Staff | 5 hours ago

3-4 minutes

Good luck, Bryan Harsin!

The last coach averaged an 8-5 record. That’s the low bar. 

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The cupboard isn't close to bare. But CBH may have to clean it out anyway if what's inside is spoiled.

I think we could have a typical Auburn coaching change "slingshot" season if he gets the guys we currently have to buy it. If not, it could be a few years.

I agree. But I hope expectations stay realistic for at least year 1. There's a lot outside of the players, the athletic department, and the university that impacts what CBH can accomplish: ongoing pandemic and random mandated shutdowns, if there is spring practice, and the social cause of the day that further destroys any semblance of unity, team, and humanity.

The pandemic creates the perfect opportunity to go into a hole, come together, work really hard, ferret out the weak, and build a hard nosed team. I don't care if we lose 5 games next year. Let's just lose them with, sweat dripping down a bloody nose with a battered and torn jersey. Under Gus we became a pansy A$$ team, it's really not becoming of AU. Read the creed, nothing in there about pansy A$$es. 

gabo

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I'd honestly prefer a year that's not a "slingshot season." If you look at many of the most successful coaches in the league, they had a pretty mediocre first year, then started showing signs of dominance during their second or third year.

- Saban went 7-6 his first year at UA

- Smart went 8-5 his first year

- Urban Meyer was 5-3 in the SEC his first season at UF

- Saban went 8-4 (5-3 SEC) his first season at LSU

- Dan Mullen went 5-7 his first season at MSU and 9-4 his second season 

About the only top tier SEC coach who had a respectable first season was Mullen at UF at 10-3, but he still went 5-3 in the SEC. In retrospect Gus's successful first year seems like it was more luck, gimmicks, and taking advantage of a league that hadn't figured him out yet than it was him building a championship caliber program, despite the fact we competed for championships that year.

11 hours ago, mdp5150 said:

The last coach averaged an 8-5 record. That’s the low bar. 

Yeah, and he was basically 2-6 in bowl games to boot. (I give him credit for yesterday's debacle as he wouldn't have fared any differently)

12 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I'd honestly prefer a year that's not a "slingshot season." If you look at many of the most successful coaches in the league, they had a pretty mediocre first year, then started showing signs of dominance during their second or third year.

- Saban went 7-6 his first year at UA

- Smart went 8-5 his first year

- Urban Meyer was 5-3 in the SEC his first season at UF

- Saban went 8-4 (5-3 SEC) his first season at LSU

- Dan Mullen went 5-7 his first season at MSU and 9-4 his second season 

About the only top tier SEC coach who had a respectable first season was Mullen at UF at 10-3, but he still went 5-3 in the SEC. In retrospect Gus's successful first year seems like it was more luck, gimmicks, and taking advantage of a league that hadn't figured him out yet than it was him building a championship caliber program, despite the fact we competed for championships that year.

Cannot disagree with anything you wrote!

• WarTiger changed the title to Buckle up, Bryan Harsin

Imagine the apocalyptic meltdown that would have ensued after this game had Steele been named HC.6Ip.gif

Speaking of winning philosophy - Terry Bowden nailed it when he said he would not be accepted until he beat Alabama and stated that is the way it should be.  He earned my respect on day one.   Yeah he had some other philosophical differences that cost him a great run at Auburn, unfortunately.   Oh well,  what  a missed opportunity.

Harsin - taking over a program that absolutely has some players and good young men.   We also have an ever increasing gap in key position groups when compared to our big rivals.   That trend is well documented and will have a 2 maybe 3 year impact on Harsin's era.   It will all come down to Juco and the transfer portal I believe for those position groups.

Culture - well it's a changing and I think that is a good thing.   Too many kids were getting comfortable after  solid 6-5 season and not striving to win big games.  They didn't hate losing because their HC didn't hate losing.   It's a mindset - you have to hate losing to be a champion.

Archived