Four Tigers win All-SEC postseason awards

aubiefifty

al.com

Four Tigers win All-SEC postseason awards

By Giana Han

Football: Auburn vs Texas A&M

Anders Carlson (26) makes the PAT during the game between Auburn and Texas A&M at Jordan Hare Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

After having six players named to the preseason All-SEC teams, Auburn finished with four players earning six postseason awards from the SEC coaches.

Freshman running back Tank Bigsby made the highest team and was also recognized three times. He was named the SEC Freshman of the Year alongside Missouri quarterback Connor Bazelak. Bigsby also appeared twice on the Freshman All-SEC team as the best freshman running back and best all-purpose player.

Bigsby finished the regular season as Auburn’s leading rusher. Despite splitting carries with three other running backs and quarterback Bo Nix, Bigsby rushed for 834 yards and five touchdowns. He averaged 83 yards per game and six yards per carry.

While two of the veteran running backs were injured, Bigsby stepped in and rushed for over 100 yards in three games in a row. He finished the season with four 100-yard games and bypassed Bo Jackson to take second place for all-time freshman rushing leaders in Auburn history.

Defensive lineman Big Kat Bryant was the only one on the list who had come into the season with All-SEC honors. Bryant was named to the preseason All-SEC first team but dealt with injury through the year. He finished the season with 15 tackles, three sacks and four quarterback hurries. The coaches recognized him as a second-team All-SEC defensive lineman.

Kicker Anders Carlson also made the second team with Bryant. With 18 field goals and a 90 percent completion rate, Carlson earned the second kicking spot, behind LSU’s Cade York. Carlson has now scored 268 points, which moves him into sixth in career scoring for Auburn. He is also sixth in made PATs and fourth in made field goals. In addition to scoring, Carlson averaged 61.8 yards on his kickoffs and had 33 touchbacks.

The defense had one more player recognized, freshman buck Colby Wooden. The coaches named Wooden to the Freshmen All-SEC defensive line. Wooden was one of the players who stepped up while Bryant was hurt, and he showed progress throughout the season. He ended the regular season with 41 tackles, the sixth-most on the team. Wooden also made 9.5 tackles for loss, including four sacks, and five quarterback hurries.

Eleven SEC schools had a player named to the All-SEC first team. Alabama had nine while Florida, Georgia and Missouri had three. Auburn had just Bigsby. However, Auburn was among seven schools to place multiple players on the freshman team.

9 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Congrats!!!  AUsome job men!!!

I am shocked that Big Kat makes it....and Rabbit doesn't. I actually would have thought Hall would get it more than Kat. Names can carry you a good ways!

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am shocked that Big Kat makes it....and Rabbit doesn't. I actually would have thought Hall would get it more than Kat. Names can carry you a good ways!

I didn’t notice that.  It is a lil surprising.  I think our expectations of him were unfairly high after having DBrown and MD.  Those are rare talents.  Especially DB.  
Tank as Freshman of the Year was a no-brainer.  I am super excited to see him for two more years!!!!  (my man crush this year, btw!)

Archived