trying to be fair here

aubiefifty

a friend told me that what steele and rodney did in tattling on gus was the fact Auburn did not have enough tough practices. and i believe this is true on the practice part because i have heard that complaint over they years. so now you ask yourself this. did steele and garner do this for Auburn because they love the school and wanted us to do better? if this was all they said i am not sure i can hate them for it. because they both apologized to gus but did it again. maybe gus did like he did with chip and agree to make changes and then did not keep his word. he certainly did not let chip calls the plays. makes you wonder who is what, etc in all this mess.................

Look most coaches that have been at Auburn the past 8 years feel like we did, Gus didn’t give his guys the best chance to win, consistently.   I understand Steele and Garner’s frustration and can’t say I blame them.   

Steele explained to the boosters how Auburn could be better from a management and X’s & O’s standpoint.  Like my coaching friends do after every game.  It isn’t rocket science.   The problem is, the PTB feel for Steele’s “I can fix the issues quickly” act.  Which is why this search has been a nightmare.  They fell in love with Steele who realized Auburn was the only chance he had to be a HC again at a FBS school. 

30 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Gus just refused to listen to people.  He is his own worst enemy

I'm of the unqualified opinion that when the HUNH turned into the HUPL (Hurry Up, Punt, and Lose), the PTB forced Gus's hand at giving up playcalling. Then Lashlee began calling some plays, then left and was replaced by another "playcaller" in CL that was never wanted by Gus in the first place; hence Gus hired him but didn't fully give him play calling duties. Then thanks to the numnuts contract extension, he had the leverage to take play calling back, only to bring in CM when he epically flamed out at Arkansas. Funny thing is, I think that had it not been a screwball pandemic year, Morris would have had a lot more input into Nix's development and the offense would have looked a lot more fluid. Who knows? Gus goes.

44 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

a friend told me that what steele and rodney did in tattling on gus was the fact Auburn did not have enough tough practices. and i believe this is true on the practice part because i have heard that complaint over they years.

I haven’t heard it but I did math every bowl season and it always seemed like we left a few days on the table. 

To his detriment I think Gus pretty much went along with PTB pushing Assistant Coaches from "Good Ole Boys Club" and/or former players in Auburn family.  They know there is protection for them when HC is replaced which wasn't as quick to materialize as most had predicted, because Gus didn't have a losing season. However those Assistants probably have kept these Big Money guys informed and updated. Somehow we will survive this program collapse, but may have a couple of losing seasons in the meantime.

I'm a little behind. Do we know that Steele was undermining Malzahn? If so, that stinks.

I think we way underestimate the job Steele did with the defense, especially with the offense struggling. With our offense truly mediocre this year, Auburn was #4 in scoring defense (SEC) and #6 in yards allowed. Auburn was always in the top 4 in scoring D with Steele here, and the offense hasn't always matched up. That's hard to do.

Wouldn't make up for betrayal.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

a friend told me that what steele and rodney did in tattling on gus was the fact Auburn did not have enough tough practices.

I always believed this to be true because we always had to play four or five games before we knew what kind of team we had and before the team looked game ready.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

a friend told me that what steele and rodney did in tattling on gus was the fact Auburn did not have enough tough practices. and i believe this is true on the practice part because i have heard that complaint over they years. so now you ask yourself this. did steele and garner do this for Auburn because they love the school and wanted us to do better? if this was all they said i am not sure i can hate them for it. because they both apologized to gus but did it again. maybe gus did like he did with chip and agree to make changes and then did not keep his word. he certainly did not let chip calls the plays. makes you wonder who is what, etc in all this mess.................

For one thing Gus was the head coach!

Steele should have stayed in his lane. He should have hashed it out with Gus and maybe he did, but when your boss doesn’t do what you want him to do or doesn’t listen to your ideas and thoughts do you run to the CEO and tattle? Classless move by Steele and Gardner (if it true). After hearing all this stuff the past few days, I honestly believe they fired Gus in order to insert Steele. That was the plan all along because they can control him and he would owe them big time.. it is all JABA.. we have seen this crap before from the PTB.. the only thing that is new is now social media lets the word get out and everybody knows the crap they are pulling. 

** and I will add.. Steele didn’t need to run tattle on Gus to undermine what Gus was doing.. Gus looked bad on his own merit. How could anyone trust the man? Much less the players? They hear all this stuff just like we do. Steele needs to be gone now. 

• WarTiger changed the title to trying to be fair here

To me it boils down to the fact that if Gus was assessing what he could do to get better then he would have seen there was a problem. Steele and Garner didn't cause Gus to be fired. Gus wasn't willing to listen to anyone else. Surround yourself with people you can learn something from. 

"If you are the most competent person in the room, you are in the wrong room" - John Maxwell

Even if their motives were pure, a palace coup is the coward's way to bring about change. I have respect for Steele as DC, but I never saw him as HC material for the Auburn situation where fans won't be happy without an offensive minded coach with a proven record in the vertical passing game.

Archived