Just Say No to Steele

ellitor

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

This mindset is why we are even thinking about hiring Steele when we just fired the guy who hired him. The defenses under Steel have been good but not elite- he has been hailed as a savior because our defenses were SO bad for several years before Muschamp and Steele took over. Gene Chizik also coached a Heisman winner and won a natty and we fired his ass two years later. This sad kind of thinking “get behind whatever mediocre candidate the PTBs are trying to foist on us” instead of demanding the best and expecting excellence is why we just keep spinning our wheels in this seemingly never ending cycle of mediocrity 

Perfect post 👏 👏 👏 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fredst said:

This mindset is why we are even thinking about hiring Steele when we just fired the guy who hired him. The defenses under Steel have been good but not elite- he has been hailed as a savior because our defenses were SO bad for several years before Muschamp and Steele took over. Gene Chizik also coached a Heisman winner and won a natty and we fired his ass two years later. This sad kind of thinking “get behind whatever mediocre candidate the PTBs are trying to foist on us” instead of demanding the best and expecting excellence is why we just keep spinning our wheels in this seemingly never ending cycle of mediocrity 

What makes him a mediocre candidate? Finishing 14th in 2018 having played three different number one teams sure sounds like an outright elite defense to me.

Give Steele a 3 year deal if it doesn't work out get on the first thing smoking to Jackson to get Coach Prime and watch the recruits start rolling in 🤷🏾‍♂️

1 hour ago, Paddywagon said:

Yes, it's me calling for support for a current coach who has refused to leave us for other jobs (we call that loyalty, FYI) I even stated he wasn't my ideal candidate. Did you read the post? It says I feel we should support the man. Something a lot of Auburn fans fail to do is support our coach. As of now, the man has been an AU coach for four years and hasn't done anything during that tenure to invoke this ill-be-gotten opposition. To clarify, I think I'd enjoy Like Fickell. I'm not going to campaign against Steele, though.

Perception is that he's part of a coup.  Is that reality?  Who knows?  But the media will have a field day with AU for weeks...the articles, blog posts, and tweets will write themselves.

If we aren’t going to hire Steele, then we better hurry up and figure out who it’s going to be. Derek Mason is still out there as a possible DC. If we hire someone else, there’s no way that Steele comes back as DC after this circus. So we better hurry and lock Mason up.

5 hours ago, Paddywagon said:

What makes him a mediocre candidate? Finishing 14th in 2018 having played three different number one teams sure sounds like an outright elite defense to me.

You’re right, he’s elite. We should all dance naked around a huge burning statue of Steele like at Burning Man festival to celebrate in anticipation of him leading us to an elite level as a program. After hiring Chizik and Malzahn in response to Saban taking over at Bammer thank goodness we will finally get it right by hiring Steele. I’m just hoping we can lock him up before all those other schools that want him leading their programs come calling

It’s really sad when our so called coaching search is a crap shoot and a smoke/ mirrors show to hide the outcome. Steel has been a good Dc not great. He thinks Mike Bobo is the best OC we can get? Exciting not hardly. #notsteelforme

I'm just looking forward to the future.  I realized today that everything I said is against the whole point of the message board.  This is a place to vent and feel like opinions matter as if my own opinion does.  

I personally don't want Steele, but if it is him, fight on.

19 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I'd be fine if Auburn named Steele. 

Why? Does he solve any of the problems that Gus created? He’s 62 years old. How did the defense compare to Gus’ offense this year? IMO this was Steele’s worst defense. If Gus was fired based on performance, what gives Steele a pass based on how his defense performed?

Archived