Just Say No to Steele

ellitor

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

The defense was decent with NFL talent up front. Did you watch any of it this season?
we need a great recruiter!!!! 

100% accurate!!!!  NFL talent will make just about any system you run work effectively! That’s why recruiting needs to be at the top of the list of things we’re looking for in our new coach.   And that’s why Super Mario is #1 on the list.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever is hired, people will complain and claim to be done with Auburn football.  In reality, they will become more obsessed because they are waiting for the "I told you so" moment.  They cannot wait for whoever the new hire is to fail which is a sad way to watch football.

Eventually, whoever is hired will either be fired or leave, and we will repeat the cycle.  

But you all have fun sending your little emails and ranting on social media thinking it has a significant impact.  

7 minutes ago, UncleOwde said:

Whoever is hired, people will complain and claim to be done with Auburn football.  In reality, they will become more obsessed because they are waiting for the "I told you so" moment.  They cannot wait for whoever the new hire is to fail which is a sad way to watch football.

Eventually, whoever is hired will either be fired or leave, and we will repeat the cycle.  

But you all have fun sending your little emails and ranting on social media thinking it has a significant impact.  

Well as long as you say its ok 🤣

If folks don't understand why hiring Steele is such a bad idea then i don't think there is any hope explaining it to them. It has nothing at all to do with Steele. I mean the 9-39 or whatever HC record does him no favors. The problem with hiring Steele is that it shows that the leadership of AU is not able to conduct a real coaching search and AU has no hope of competing for titles in college football

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The problem with hiring Steele is that it shows that the leadership of AU is not able to conduct a real coaching search and AU has no hope of competing for titles in college football

:cheer:

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Fans are unlikely to be fully supportive of whoever is chosen.  Kevin Steele is a good man and a good coach.  He has done wonders for our defense.  I don’t get the protest.  If he is chosen we should support him and give him a chance.  

No.  I personally won't support Steele as HC. 

Supporting stupidity is begging for even more stupidity.  

1 hour ago, UncleOwde said:

And you have fun lecturing folks in anonymity like it has a significant impact haha 

1 hour ago, UncleOwde said:

But you all have fun sending your little emails and ranting on social media 

Yet here you are on social media ranting about people ranting on social media. 🧐🤔

2 hours ago, UncleOwde said:

2 hours ago, UncleOwde said:

Whoever is hired, people will complain and claim to be done with Auburn football.  

Lots of conflict in this tough time of being an Auburn fan. Wtf are you doing here though?

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. I'm sure people though that before the Vols fans' revolt cost Greg Schiano the Vols HC job a couple years ago. It definitely can have an impact.

+ Rich Rod in 2007. Got them their HC.

If it can work for bammer, it can work for us. 

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

+ Rich Rod in 2007. Got them their HC.

If it can work for bammer, it can work for us. 

The Truth. It’s a wonderful thing. 

This right here is probably a good reason as to the position we are in as a program. No support from the fanbase. Is Steele my ideal candidate? No. He's done a lot for our program in four years, though. He's turned us into a defensive force again, sans this year when we lost nearly everyone and KJ was hurt the whole season. If Greene and Bo and the rest of the committee feel this obvious Auburn man is ready for the job, the players resonate the same thoughts, and he feels himself to be a good candidate, why the hell would we be sitting here campaigning against him? Because he had an atrocious record twenty years ago at Baylor? I'm sure no coach ever has improved at their craft over a two decade span. Then there is the fact that coaching a Baylor program twenty years ago was a completely different ballgame, pun intended, than coaching in the SEC today. Ed Ogeron was a crap coach for Ole Miss. Went interim. Look at him, now. The jury is out on him maybe still, but he's definitely coached a Heisman winner and has a national championship under his belt. Don't understand campaigning against a CURRENT coach who has done so much for us. 

11 minutes ago, Paddywagon said:

This right here is probably a good reason as to the position we are in as a program. No support from the fanbase. Is Steele my ideal candidate? No. He's done a lot for our program in four years, though. He's turned us into a defensive force again, sans this year when we lost nearly everyone and KJ was hurt the whole season. If Greene and Bo and the rest of the committee feel this obvious Auburn man is ready for the job, the players resonate the same thoughts, and he feels himself to be a good candidate, why the hell would we be sitting here campaigning against him? Because he had an atrocious record twenty years ago at Baylor? I'm sure no coach ever has improved at their craft over a two decade span. Then there is the fact that coaching a Baylor program twenty years ago was a completely different ballgame, pun intended, than coaching in the SEC today. Ed Ogeron was a crap coach for Ole Miss. Went interim. Look at him, now. The jury is out on him maybe still, but he's definitely coached a Heisman winner and has a national championship under his belt. Don't understand campaigning against a CURRENT coach who has done so much for us. 

If Kevin Steele is keen to be head coach somewhere, he's free to accept any of the dozens of Head Coaching offers he receives every year from other schools.   

You rare/new/incognito posters pushing Steele are actually increasing resistance, as it lends more credence to the rumor he has been secretly bucking for years to replace Gus.  Keep it up and he may not even be welcome as DC.  

33 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If Kevin Steele is keen to be head coach somewhere, he's free to accept any of the dozens of Head Coaching offers he receives every year from other schools.   

You rare/new/incognito posters pushing Steele are actually increasing resistance, as it lends more credence to the rumor he has been secretly bucking for years to replace Gus.  Keep it up and he may not even be welcome as DC.  

Yes, it's me calling for support for a current coach who has refused to leave us for other jobs (we call that loyalty, FYI) I even stated he wasn't my ideal candidate. Did you read the post? It says I feel we should support the man. Something a lot of Auburn fans fail to do is support our coach. As of now, the man has been an AU coach for four years and hasn't done anything during that tenure to invoke this ill-be-gotten opposition. To clarify, I think I'd enjoy Like Fickell. I'm not going to campaign against Steele, though.

2 minutes ago, Paddywagon said:

Yes, it's me calling for support for a current coach who has refused to leave us for other jobs (we call that loyalty, FYI) I even stated he wasn't my ideal candidate. Did you read the post? It says I feel we should support the man. Something a lot of Auburn fans fail to do is support our coach. As of now, the man has been an AU coach for four years and hasn't done anything during that tenure to invoke this ill-be-gotten opposition. To clarify, I think I'd enjoy Like Fickell. I'm not going to campaign against Steele, though.

It's not a personal attack. It's about spending 20+ million dollars to hire a journeyman assistant coach with one really bad head coaching stint on his resume, who's near retirement age, who does absolutely nothing to excite a disenchanted fanbase, who will have the specter of booster control rumors all around him and because of all of this, will be the absolutely easiest head coach to negatively recruit against in Auburn history. Hiring Steele is the kind of move that will set this program back far enough that when we replace him in a year or two, we may be scraping the high school ranks for a replacement. It's lunacy and suggests greater dysfunction around our program than even a bammer could dream up. 

1 hour ago, Paddywagon said:

This mindset is why we are even thinking about hiring Steele when we just fired the guy who hired him. The defenses under Steel have been good but not elite- he has been hailed as a savior because our defenses were SO bad for several years before Muschamp and Steele took over. Gene Chizik also coached a Heisman winner and won a natty and we fired his ass two years later. This sad kind of thinking “get behind whatever mediocre candidate the PTBs are trying to foist on us” instead of demanding the best and expecting excellence is why we just keep spinning our wheels in this seemingly never ending cycle of mediocrity 

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

This mindset is why we are even thinking about hiring Steele when we just fired the guy who hired him. The defenses under Steel have been good but not elite- he has been hailed as a savior because our defenses were SO bad for several years before Muschamp and Steele took over. Gene Chizik also coached a Heisman winner and won a natty and we fired his ass two years later. This sad kind of thinking “get behind whatever mediocre candidate the PTBs are trying to foist on us” instead of demanding the best and expecting excellence is why we just keep spinning our wheels in this seemingly never ending cycle of mediocrity 

do you really think what we demand matters one bit?     

6 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Fans are unlikely to be fully supportive of whoever is chosen.  Kevin Steele is a good man and a good coach.  He has done wonders for our defense.  I don’t get the protest.  If he is chosen we should support him and give him a chance.  

how about his  HC pitch included  making Mike Bobo the OC.   How does that make you feel? 

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

how about his  HC pitch included  making Mike Bobo the OC.   How does that make you feel? 

10 years ago....might have been good. 

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

10 years ago....might have been good. 

and i agree...  but even hearing him talk about  fax machines during his recuriting recap  made me think this guy isnt fit for the job. 

Just now, auskip07 said:

and i agree...  but even hearing him talk about  fax machines during his recuriting recap  made me think this guy isnt fit for the job. 

I like Kevin as a coach.....DC that is. We need fire in the belly! We need to get these top recruits signed. Defensively we can get a few here and there....but our needs are on the offensive side. 

Archived