Men vs Memphis

AUBourne

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I said when Powell committed he would be the surprise of the class. I said it would take him a while working with Sharife and getting completely health but by the middle of the season he would start to be an impact player. What is funny I was more positive about him then most but not all the posters on this board. He is a complete player. In this game he added some drives and pull up shots to his repertoire, he scored around the basket and of course his three point shooting. He also lead the team in rebounding with 8. He brought the ball up against the press and yes he lost the ball a few times but on the whole he handled the Memphis pressure very well. Memphis is a team that presses hard and causes a lot of turnovers. 

I loved the time he started towards the ball when Memphis was pressing the inbounds then broke long and took and got an easy score. I also liked how Bruce took some pressure off of him in second half and had others bring up the ball. Powell plays more like a Senior then a Freshman he has a great Basketball IQ.  Flanigan is coming on he has a nice stroke and goes hard to the basket and even hit a little turn around jumper. Cardwell got 5 boards and 4 points in a limited number of minutes and Williams got 3 boards 6 points and was our best facilitator with 8 assists. Franklin only played 4 minutes but got 4 boards and 2 points and Thor is slowly letting us see his potential he handles the ball well for a big man and helped break the press. The good news about Thor is he is going to slowly keep getting better and I believe he will be back next year and hopefully he will work at adding muscle mass like Flanigan did this year. Thor needs about 20 more pounds as he is to easy to box out which is why he only got 3 boards despite the fact he is very tall and athletic.

This was a team effort but it was the Powell/Flanigan show we need Sharife so Powell can move to his natural position. Flanigan is showing he can be an every night contributor as Powell has shown, and if you add Sharife you would have 3 this will allow the other players to slowly find their roles.  

When Powell has to get a rest I could see using Flanigan as back up PG he has solid ball skills and more importantly does not get flustered.

I Agree on Flanigan being the best option at backup PG. I thought Johnson might bc hes quicker but he is tentative.

Flanigan may not have the greatest dribbling skills, but with his strength, he can break pressure, double teams better too. 

Turbo played 8 minutes w/ 5 TOs yesterday. No way Pearl can use him when we get to conference play as a PG. He cannot handle any type of pressure...period.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
al.com

Justin Powell helps propel Auburn past Memphis

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Justin Powell vs. Memphis

Auburn freshman Justin Powell shoots against Memphis. Powell had 26 points in the 74-71 win in Atlanta. (Cody Voga/Auburn Athletics)

Justin Powell saw the Memphis defense sagging, so he pulled up. Splash.

Auburn’s freshman shooting guard-turned-starting point guard drilled a 3-pointer with 2:56 to play Saturday night in Atlanta to give his team a two-possession lead and some breathing room down the stretch. It was that kind of night for Powell, who has quickly established himself as a certified bucket just five games into his career.

This time, it was another 26-point effort from the freshman out of Kentucky as Auburn staved off Memphis, 74-71, in the Holiday Hoopsgiving showcase in State Farm Arena and secured its best win of the season to date.

Making his second straight start at point guard, Powell led all players with his 26-point explosion. He shot a blistering 9-of-13 from the field, including 4-of-6 from beyond the arc. He scored Auburn’s first 11 points of the game but nothing more in the first half, though his second-half effort was crucial for Bruce Pearl’s team in a tightly contested affair.

“That meant everything,” Powell said of his quick start. “That momentum carried me on through the rest of the game.”

After Auburn trailed by one at halftime, Powell came out of the break and put his team back in front, 41-38, thanks to a four-point play to open the second half.

It was Powell’s second consecutive 20-point performance since being inserted into the starting lineup. He had 26 points against South Alabama last week, and eight days later he picked up right where he left off.

Along with matching his career high with 26 points, Powell added eight rebounds, two assists and a steal, though he also committed five turnovers in 33 minutes.

Auburn (3-2) also got 17 points from Allen Flanigan, including two late free throws in the game’s final 7 seconds — with one rattling in on a friendly bounce — to seal the game.

“It’s a good win,” Pearl said. “Memphis is an NCAA Tournament team.”

18 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Why has the Franklin kid not been playing more? He is a man beast under the goal and handles it very well too for a big man. Get him more minute's.

He was on a 53 rebound pace for an entire 40 minutes. 😆

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree on Flanigan being the best option at backup PG. I thought Johnson might bc hes quicker but he is tentative.

Flanigan may not have the greatest dribbling skills, but with his strength, he can break pressure, double teams better too. 

Turbo played 8 minutes w/ 5 TOs yesterday. No way Pearl can use him when we get to conference play as a PG. He cannot handle any type of pressure...period.

Turbo has a bad habit of dribbling into double teams and getting his pocket picked and doesn't play with his head up looking to pass. He just don't have the basketball IQ he needs IMO.

What great and gutsy win by this team. There are a lot of guys stepping up so its hard to really call folks out. Flanigan and Powell for sure need shout outs. What Powell has came in and done as a freshmen filling in for the PG position is pretty incredible. Signing him has literally saved this season from being a complete throw away. I love what Jaylin is doing out there and would like to see him get even more touches and shots. And it was cool to see Franklin get in on the action. 

Cambridge needs to find himself or tone down on shooting it a bit. But i think he is just really really missing having someone on the floor that can set him up. He is a put back or set up 3 guy all the way. If he ever gets out of rhythm on a shot its game over.  

Archived