Men vs Memphis

AUBourne

Great win

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win for this young team. Should be a big confidence builder.

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

I'm out of reactions but thanks @Maverick.AUfor doing play-by-play even while having Covid.

Hey brother, I’d have to be in pretty bad circumstances to miss things like this. Much love as always to everyone!

My second ball handler on this team  behind Powell would be Jaylin. Jaylin has ball skills and looks to pass/make moves. I still don’t trust flan to have the ball in his hands for long periods yet.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

My second ball handler on this team  behind Powell would be Jaylin. Jaylin has ball skills and looks to pass/make moves. I still don’t trust flan to have the ball in his hands for long periods yet.

I like having Thor as well. From the little I saw from him taking control a couple games back it looked really smooth.

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I like having Thor as well. From the little I saw from him taking control a couple games back it looked really smooth.

I agree, he’s still a little raw. Let him get a few games under him and I def  think he can be a big option forsure!

32 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Facing guys like Nolley, Cisse, etc. The fact that a guy like BP can lead this team to a win is just a testament to what he does

Nolley is way better than I even thought when we were recruiting him. We had no real matchup for Cisse on the roster, but did enough to keep the ball from finding him every possession. I’ll take it

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

With Cooper we’d be rolling pretty strong by now and trending even higher. Thanks a lot NCAA. 

Agree.'

Hey NCAA!  Poop or get off the pot!!

I think I read somewhere that BP expected Powell to play point for a few minutes each game. JP had looked surprisingly  good in practice.  But SC was expected to  get  30 to 35 minutes. I don't think Turbo was in the picture for PG.  Funny how many on this forum expected very little from Powell this year being our lowest rated signee. I'm sure Bruce was happy that Justin was so underrated. I'm also really impressed with the improvement of Flannigan and Thor has a lot of raw talent. If we get Shariffe back this team could surprise a lot of people.

2 hours ago, autan said:

I think I read somewhere that BP expected Powell to play point for a few minutes each game. JP had looked surprisingly  good in practice.  But SC was expected to  get  30 to 35 minutes. I don't think Turbo was in the picture for PG.  Funny how many on this forum expected very little from Powell this year being our lowest rated signee. I'm sure Bruce was happy that Justin was so underrated. I'm also really impressed with the improvement of Flannigan and Thor has a lot of raw talent. If we get Shariffe back this team could surprise a lot of people.

@AUGoothis. Sharife basically playing the same # of mins Powell played today, Powell likely running the "backup PG role" for the 7-8 mins that Turbo got (while just playing the SG role otherwise), and Turbo would probably be a pure scorer, with no expectation to be a facilitator whatsoever. 

I said when Powell committed he would be the surprise of the class. I said it would take him a while working with Sharife and getting completely health but by the middle of the season he would start to be an impact player. What is funny I was more positive about him then most but not all the posters on this board. He is a complete player. In this game he added some drives and pull up shots to his repertoire, he scored around the basket and of course his three point shooting. He also lead the team in rebounding with 8. He brought the ball up against the press and yes he lost the ball a few times but on the whole he handled the Memphis pressure very well. Memphis is a team that presses hard and causes a lot of turnovers. 

I loved the time he started towards the ball when Memphis was pressing the inbounds then broke long and took and got an easy score. I also liked how Bruce took some pressure off of him in second half and had others bring up the ball. Powell plays more like a Senior then a Freshman he has a great Basketball IQ.  Flanigan is coming on he has a nice stroke and goes hard to the basket and even hit a little turn around jumper. Cardwell got 5 boards and 4 points in a limited number of minutes and Williams got 3 boards 6 points and was our best facilitator with 8 assists. Franklin only played 4 minutes but got 4 boards and 2 points and Thor is slowly letting us see his potential he handles the ball well for a big man and helped break the press. The good news about Thor is he is going to slowly keep getting better and I believe he will be back next year and hopefully he will work at adding muscle mass like Flanigan did this year. Thor needs about 20 more pounds as he is to easy to box out which is why he only got 3 boards despite the fact he is very tall and athletic.

This was a team effort but it was the Powell/Flanigan show we need Sharife so Powell can move to his natural position. Flanigan is showing he can be an every night contributor as Powell has shown, and if you add Sharife you would have 3 this will allow the other players to slowly find their roles.  

When Powell has to get a rest I could see using Flanigan as back up PG he has solid ball skills and more importantly does not get flustered.

I know at times he didn't have the best hands, but Austin Wiley worked on his weaknesses during his years at Auburn and went from a boy to a MAN with his size, strength and shooting...I hope our big guys will follow his work habits and continue to improve...we have the size in height, but need the bulk to really be a strong inside/rebounding team....Congrats on the win....enjoy the effort...BUT we've got to improve at the FT line, fortunately Memphis was worse then us....a good team shooting FT last night would've of beat us..."free throws aren't important in every game, just the close games" Reggie Theius....all of our games are going to be close..

Archived