How defense is approaching Air Raid

aubiefifty

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Try to play bump to bump man on a team whose offense is passing 99 percent of the time. Just think about it for a hot second . 

Then you have to think if you jump a row with the field spread out and miss, or you bite on the fake or guess wrong.....that's 6. Easy. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Also you have to think that just running man you're not making it difficult for the QB mentally. If they get in a rhythm it's a long day coming up ahead

Exactly . People don’t understand how hard it is to go man to man when the QB is in rhythm. Those 1 to 1 balls are death nails , especially in the air raid when you are just lining up and playing pitch and catch. Those back shoulder throws are cheat codes if perfected. 

Just now, cole256 said:

Then you have to think if you jump a row with the field spread out and miss, or you bite on the fake or guess wrong.....that's 6. Easy. 

That’s what scare me. You try to jam the WR and you miss...it’s deuces. It’s very slim margin for error.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You do man to man or do you like running the zone? 

You play both you keep mixing stuff up and get the guy off his pivot and you don't let him getcomfortable as far as defense.

I was saying I want to replace Steele

Steele will mix it up.  We have used zone a decent amount this year, but at times we have coverage breakdowns.  He will not completely abandon man.  Just have to avoid obvious personnel mismatches when in man.

With so much emphasis on their passing, I do worry some about them having some success in their running game.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That’s what scare me. You try to jam the WR and you miss...it’s deuces. It’s very slim margin for error.

Yes. And we don't generate pressure with 4 so that's bad news for the secondary. That's why I said the act like it's a video game comment. It's not as simple as Madden pick this and that should work.....you have your d line to worry about. I feel like tutt struggles this year with deep coverage. Are we really good enough to just line up and say man to man we're going to win EVERY match up across the board? Only if the d line getting to the QBconsistently

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Playing with 9 doesn't sound like a winning strategy

😂  Can’t be worse than our present strategy. 

“The 3-3-3 Defense

01 Base 3-3-3

The Cyclones base, in Heacock’s words, is a 3-3-3, or a derivative of the Odd Stack. Unlike a true 3-3-5, where all three LBs are stacked on their anchor points (D-line), the Cyclone defense will “break” the stack in order to keep the look of a two-high shell at all times. The ability to break the stack comes from, what I refer to as, the Joker or Middle Safety (JS). 

The use of the JS as a run fitter helps alleviate some of the issues when breaking the stack. More importantly, the JS is a true hybrid that can move down if the Iowa St. wants to move away from the 3-3-3 and into a 3-4. Below is an on-field look at the diagram above. The Sam goes to the field, Will to the boundary, and the Joker will align on top of the RB, even if into the boundary (illustrated below)...”

https://matchquarters.com/2019/05/03/playing-dime-as-your-base-pt-2-the-front/#more-20806

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Try to play bump to bump man on a team whose offense is passing 99 percent of the time. Just think about it for a hot second . 

70+ plays of that = #WearYoAssOut

Best defense Gus can do is run the ball and use tank OFTEN. How the Patriots have won their last couple of games. If for some reason miss st stopped our run I don't see how we win

38 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Schematic question. Why is everyone so convinced that zone coverage is the way to go? Given how much they throw it and how their whole play book is like less than 10 plays, I’d think with man coverage, you’d likely come away with a lot of interceptions by undercutting some of the repetitive routes.

Basically, because Leach understands Man coverage and exactly which routes/combinations and how to play call to embarrass teams that are foolish enough to run Man. With their scheme and number of receivers out on each play, there are too many ways to defeat man coverage. They could do it by alignment, personnel, or motioning to force mismatches.

As we've seen in Steele's tenure, we don't get many INTs. That's due to two reasons. 1. We primarily run man out of press and bump-n-run 2. We teach our DBs to play the ball through the receiver. In Man, being in position to undercut is difficult enough on it's own, attempting pull it off is insanely dangerous and a recipe for explosive plays and easy TDs. Misjudge, mistime, or misplay and it leaves no one to make the tackle.

Simply, In man, the DB's eyes are on the receiver and reacts to his play. In zone, their eyes are on the QB and swiveling through their area of responsibility. This allows them to peel off and play under and jump other routes. That's why there are many more INTs for teams that primarily run zone. Zone also allows us to keep the play in front of us to try to limit big plays, forcing them to have to drive the field.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Steele hates him some zone coverage so if he goes man to man it will be.................................... threw it all over our asses for 60 minutes. 

Ha! You may be correct. I'd imagine we give up some yardage, but I think we will come up with some turnovers too. 

I just hope we run the ball well so the game doesn't last 4 hours. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Ha! You may be correct. I'd imagine we give up some yardage, but I think we will come up with some turnovers too. 

I just hope we run the ball well so the game doesn't last 4 hours. 

If I'm their DC, I'm stacking the box and playing 2-man, 2-trap, and 1-robber and forcing the OL and Bo to win the game.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If I'm their DC, I'm stacking the box and playing 2-man, 2-trap, and 1-robber and forcing the OL and Bo to win the game.

We are in trouble if they can pull that off. I have little faith in either the OL or Bo.

Another strategy could be to seek a waiver to wear Red and Black with silver pants. We'd can't seem to score against those uniforms. 

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't know how teams didn't focus on that more. I'm keeping Bo in the pocket and making him have to hit downfield and intermediate timing routes. I'm also making sure the hole in the defense is the second preferably 3rd read. 

I feel like that's what muschamp did with South Carolina and that's how we lost to a team that is so much less talented than we are

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I don't know how teams didn't focus on that more. I'm keeping Bo in the pocket and making him have to hit downfield and intermediate timing routes. I'm also making sure the hole in the defense is the second preferably 3rd read. 

I feel like that's what muschamp did with South Carolina and that's how we lost to a team that is so much less talented than we are

Absolutely have the ends do a contain rush and send an extra defender up the middle. 

First play, I'm sending my ends on an outside contain rush with a double A blitz and setting the tone.

Similar to Ole Miss game I go with 3 Man D-Line.  Ideally our smaller faster LB's should help in defending against this Offense.  I do believe we need to play zone at times but not exclusively mix it up to  make it harder on QB.  LB's need to be very aware of passes to their backs and as some have already said we have to tackle in the open field.  Since they don't run much we need to play our best cover DB's so we might see some different starters.

Big question I have is has our team practiced enough to play a modern Zone defense (which is kind of a combination zone and man) not the old style where you just go to a spot. If not like it or not we have to stick with our man for man which is scary against this O. As the article Bird included in another post the modern zone requires DB's with really high football IQ players that won't just bite but sadly this year that has not been the case for some of our DB's especially in the bama game.

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I hope it's with zone coverage and not man to man. Last time Steele faced the air raid it wasn't pretty. 

Leach will have a field day if we man up.  Zone and lots of prayer. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Absolutely have the ends do a contain rush and send an extra defender up the middle. 

First play, I'm sending my ends on an outside contain rush with a double A blitz and setting the tone.

Regardless of offensive play call, it will be a TFL/Sack unless Tank is 100%.  He is unreal at bouncing and beating guys to the edge. 

33 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Regardless of offensive play call, it will be a TFL/Sack unless Tank is 100%.  He is unreal at bouncing and beating guys to the edge. 

Yep, but as DC I know Tank's tendencies because of the film breakdowns and that's why I'd have my DEs containing.

12 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Schematic question. Why is everyone so convinced that zone coverage is the way to go? Given how much they throw it and how their whole play book is like less than 10 plays, I’d think with man coverage, you’d likely come away with a lot of interceptions by undercutting some of the repetitive routes.

Here ya go. Have a watch and see what happens when you play man a majority of the time vs Leach.

LSU had the offense to keep up. We havent shown to have it in our 9 previous games this season...

On 12/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, bigbird said:

I was going to start a thread later about how people would try and defend MSU, but we can do it here.

How would you attempt to defend MSU Saturday?  Which personnel would you have on the field? Alignment and coverages?

Haven't watched their QB much, how does he deal with extra rushers? Normally QBs in the Air-Raid are trained to identify pressure and throw to it's direction. That'll take Man-Blitzes off the table. Actually, I wouldn't blitz at all if their QB has any sort of poise in the pocket.

Going to need to handle the flats. I wouldn't say Cov-3 because there are SO MANY darn WRs running shorter routes because the air raid uses the pass as an extension of the run game. You'll need a good LB corps as well as solid nickel in zone to bottle them up.

Nickel Cov 2 Hard Flats all game and in long situations, play quarters.

Archived