Context to AU's 42nd-ranked class

aubiefifty

Adding context to Auburn's 42nd-ranked recruiting class

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn hasn’t hosted a recruit on campus in nearly 10 months.

Thanks to an NCAA-implemented dead period in March — which has since been extended to April 15, 2021 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic — Auburn’s biggest advantage on the recruiting trail has been stripped from it. And it has shown in the Tigers’ 2021 recruiting class.

With just a week to go before the start of the early signing period, Auburn’s recruiting class ranks 42nd nationally and 11th in the SEC, according to the 247Sports Composite team rankings. Talent hasn’t been an issue for Auburn with the 2021 class, as the Tigers have a top-15 class in terms of average recruiting ranking (89.23), but overall numbers have been, with just 12 commitments heading into the final push before the early signing period.

While Gus Malzahn has recently expressed confidence in Auburn’s ability to finish the 2021 recruiting cycle strong, this year has not been without its challenges for the Tigers on the recruiting front.

“One of our advantages at Auburn is getting guys on campus and getting that family feel and those relationships,” Malzahn said. “So, we’re not able to do that, so we have to be creative with some different things.”

Auburn’s recruiting strategy has differed from some of its rivals’ over the years. While programs like Alabama sell recruits on Nick Saban’s process and the Tide’s NFL factory, Auburn has long sold its program to recruits on the experience provided on campus. Getting players on the Plains has often been crucial to landing commitments, with prospects routinely falling in love with the vibe on campus and citing the family-type atmosphere they pick up on when around Malzahn’s program.

During Malzahn’s tenure at Auburn, that strategy has paid off. The Tigers have landed six top-10 classes, while two others finished 11th and 12th nationally in 2019 and 2018, respectively.

Yet it has presented an obstacle for Auburn during this unique recruiting cycle. Though every program in the country has had to navigate this everlasting dead period, Auburn finds itself in a tougher position than many others due to the nature of the Tigers’ pitch — which can be more difficult to relay through virtual visits done over Zoom and FaceTime.

“It’s a different deal,” Malzahn said. “We’re all chomping at the bit to get back for recruiting, too. Just doing the best we can on FaceTime and developing those relationships with the recruits and their families and all that. The thing about Auburn is such a special deal when you get people on campus and you get that feel. That’s really one of our big advantages that we have, when we get people on campus multiple times.”

Some recruits have still made their way to Auburn this fall, just on their own dime and without any face-to-face contact with the Tigers’ coaching staff or an opportunity to tour the athletics facilities.

Like everything else about 2020, recruiting for Auburn has been about adapting to the change and trying to find an edge within the margins. Linebackers coach Travis Williams, who took over as Auburn’s recruiting coordinator this year, tried some outside-the-box tactics during the spring, with “T-Will’s Takeover” on Auburn’s official Twitter account. He provided virtual tours of facilities, including the athletics complex, players lounge and the South Donahue dorms in an attempt to replicate the experience of an actual visit while showcasing the infectious personality that has made him such a successful recruiter who is beloved by prospects and players.

The adjustments seemed to work for Auburn during the summer — a time when prospects are typically taking visits to campuses and participating in camps, which are valuable evaluation opportunities for coaches too — as coaches worked to harvest relationships with recruits through virtual visits. The program built some momentum in May and June, picking up six commitments between May 15 and June 15, including ones from quarterback Dematrius Davis and offensive lineman Jaeden Roberts, a pair of four-star high school teammates out of Houston.

The Tigers again appeared to pick up some steam in August with commitments from three-star defensive lineman Tobechi Okoli, four-star defensive tackle Marquis Robinson, three-star JUCO cornerback Kamal Hadden and four-star safety Ahmari Harvey, which boosted the class to 18th in the nation.

Since then, however, things have been quieter for Auburn on the recruiting trail, with just one 2021 commit (three-star receiver Hal Presley), a pair of transfer pickups (Harvard lineman Eric Wilson and former All-Big 12 tight end Grant Calcaterra, whose additions do not count toward the 247Sports class ranking) and a trio of decommitments from offensive linemen J’Marion Gooch and Caleb Johnson and four-star running back Armoni Goodwin. The state of the Tigers’ 2021 class has been thrust further into the spotlight in recent weeks amid the growing speculation about Malzahn’s future with the program, with the eighth-year head coach again on the hot seat due to a 5-4 season.

Football: Auburn vs Texas A&M

Naturally, that No. 42 next to the class ranking has not been sitting well with a subset of fans. Still, Malzahn has expressed a steadfast confidence in the Tigers’ ability to close out strong during a cycle he described as “completely different” and cement another promising signing class.

“Obviously, it’s unique,” Malzahn said. “It’s a little bit different…. but still, with that being said I feel very positive that the next two weeks there will be a lot of good news coming for Auburn.”

Malzahn alluded to the program feeling “really good about” a handful of top prospects who are waiting until signing day to make a decision. While he cannot discuss recruits directly due to NCAA rules, Auburn remains in the mix for several high-profile players as signing day rapidly approaches. Among those are five-star linebacker Terrence Lewis, a recent Tennessee de-commit; four-star linebacker Trevin Wallace; three-star defensive end George Wilson, a recent South Carolina decommit; three-star cornerback Dontae Balfour, who has Auburn in his final two; as well as Goodwin, the fifth-ranked running back who backed off his Auburn pledge in recent weeks.

It’s hardly a sure thing, but a late push in the next week — with the aforementioned recruits and other potential targets — could vault Auburn into a ranking more befitting of its track record of recruiting during the Malzahn era. Even then, the Tigers may have a chance to further bolster needs on the roster for next season on the transfer market, with the NCAA mulling the passage of legislation allowing an immediate one-time transfer for players without penalty of having to sit out a season.

“I think it’ll have a big impact on college football,” Malzahn said. “I think that changes really the recruiting landscape and how traditional recruiting has been in the past. We’ll have to see. There’s a lot of new things happening, and I think you’ve got to be prepared to adjust, and that’s what we’re trying to do.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

i am tired of excuses. i like gus as a person but he basically said we had great things coming this year. now granted covid had not kicked in but i am just done with it.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am tired of excuses. i like gus as a person but he basically said we had great things coming this year. now granted covid had not kicked in but i am just done with it.

i was done when he broke his word  to gatewood. that and i hate to be embarrassed in losses. i can take the losses but when we act like we do not have a clue in some losses that we should be competitive in is a different animal. and dammit i want the opposing team to get whipped physically all over the field if nothing else. now it is hard to say "well we lost but they know they played auburn". i want them fighting over who gets the iced tubs first.

So....10 (yes TEN) other conference schools are outdoing Gus on Covid recruiting.  That is totally unacceptable at this juncture. Yes, we could make a late push but highly unlikely.  I didn’t realize Twill was coordinator now—-how much of a factor is that?   It’s been said he is why Jackson from Prattville chose the turds over AU

• ellitor changed the title to Context to AU's 42nd-ranked class
12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

In a nut shell- Auburn the school, community, and aura has been doing the heavy recruiting lifting for the past 8 years.

More fuel for the fire.

That is the one place you can't fault Gus. When you have something like the school, community, and aura you play it up that is good recruiting.  With Covid we lost that but initially with the virtual visits T-Will setup it was working, then the season happened which has hurt recruiting. If it had just been one bad season it probably would not have hurt so bad but with so many mediocre seasons the losing to SC and to be honest Arky, then to be embarrassed by bama and dominated by A&M at home recruiting has tanked. The season you can blame on Gus and the bad recruiting because of it.

14 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

In a nut shell- Auburn the school, community, and aura has been doing the heavy recruiting lifting for the past 8  80 years.

Fixed that. This has always been the case.

35 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

It is ranked 53rd on rivals. 

Not that it matters in this instance but outside of the bunker #RivalsSucks

This years class has some talent, but we won’t be competitive again in the sec for another couple years . It will take time to build depth on both fronts . The worst signing day I’ve ever seen or paid attention to. 

On 12/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, ellitor said:

Not that it matters in this instance but outside of the bunker #RivalsSucks

In October I stated this recruiting class wouldn't be in the top 20 and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if it didn't finish in the top 30! This season, the players, Gus's AU career and this recruiting class were ALL lost during the USC game.

3 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This years class has some talent, but we won’t be competitive again in the sec for another couple years . It will take time to build depth on both fronts . The worst signing day I’ve ever seen or paid attention to. 

We don't need this class to be competitive. With the weird rule giving every current player a freeby year and the transfer portal opening up, we'll be fine. This is not a deep enough class by AU standards, but the signees are quality and due to other factors, this year won't matter as much as a normal year would have..

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

We don't need this class to be competitive. With the weird rule giving every current player a freeby year and the transfer portal opening up, we'll be fine. This is not a deep enough class by AU standards, but the signees are quality and due to other factors, this year won't matter as much as a normal year would have..

Mikey - Auburn needs top talent to compete for championships in this league.  Down the road 2 yrs from now do you not think this weak lass will come back to haunt this team?

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Other than Lee and Dematrius and a few other guys you're hoping are diamonds in the rough, I don't even know how you find positives with this day

The way I look at it, it was a positive.  I was very cautious because if I were a recruit I wouldn't want to commit yet with no coach and the current staff may not be retained.  It feels good (with the last week or so of pure uncertainty at Auburn) knowing these guys are that committed to our school that they signed.  Every single guy that signed yesterday made me a huge fan.  They are that dedicated to making Auburn as good as they can, no matter the coach.

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Mikey - Auburn needs top talent to compete for championships in this league.  Down the road 2 yrs from now do you not think this weak lass will come back to haunt this team?

A weak class in any year certainly won't help. However, due to the unusual circumstances of the virus, this year may not be as damaging as it would in a normal year.

Also, any team can expect a poor recruiting class if they fire the coach right before signing day and before a new coach has been named. It's a recipe for disaster, with a coaching change being bad enough but our timing with regard to signing day/hiring a new guy is as bad as it could be. Those eggs are already broken. The only bright side is that we should have some extra slots available for the New Guy to fill next cycle. Let's hope he uses them well.

8 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Very stupid to get rid of Gus before signing day. Why wouldn’t you wait? Especially if you have NO clue who the replacement is. Eat up with the stupid we are as Yoda would say. 

You are 100% correct! The AU admin is clueless to not have waited ONE week to secure a better recruiting class. Why fire Gus a few days before early signing with no plan?

Most on this forum just wanted to can Malzahn any time, any way. Some have even said this year was the best time with Gus in a weakened position. With this program and most programs in disarray a large part due to Covid, it's a terrible time to go through this process.  If the USCe game had gone our way it's hard to say if that would have given CGM another year. I don't think the angry mob would have been silenced even with a TAMU victory. There was no plan except we need to go in a different direction.  Barring a Hail Mary that direction may be down.  We need some leadership very badly.

It simply was not fair to the kids we were recruiting or had commitments from to keep them in the dark, fire Gus after signing day, knowing full well they were going to fire Gus.

I think it was the respectful thing to do as a sports program. Sure it hurt our recruiting, but to wait until after signing day would have given the impression we could not be trusted by these players.

The pandemic affected every school. Yes, the on-campus experience has been important for Auburn. But we knew that going in. We knew we would need to work harder.

Archived