New CBS bowl projections forecast vs. Northwestern

aubiefifty

247sports.com

New CBS bowl projections forecast Auburn vs. Northwestern

ByMark Murphy

AUBURN, Alabama–According to bowl projections made on Sunday by CBS Sports, the Auburn football team will be in Orlando for New Year’s Day to play the Northwestern Wildcats at the Citrus Bowl. If the projection by Jerry Palm of CBS is accurate it would be a rematch in the state of Florida for the programs that played in the 2010 Outback Bowl at Tampa.

Auburn won a shootout, 38-35 in overtime, to close the 2009 season. Defensive back Neiko Thorpe’s tackle at the two-yard line on a fake field goal attempt by the Wildcats from the five-yard line ended the game after Wes Byrum had put the Tigers ahead to begin the overtime. That was the only time the Tigers and Wildcats have played in football.

The 2009 season was the first for Gene Chizik as head coach of the Tigers and the first season at Auburn for Gus Malzahn, who was the team's offensive coordinator.

Taking on an All Big Ten schedule the 2020 Northwestern team is 5-1. The Wildcats opened the season on Oct. 24th with a 43-3 home win over Maryland. They won 21-20 at Iowa, 21-13 at home vs. Nebraska, 27-20 at Purdue and 17-7 at Wisconsin. Northwestern’s previous game was played on Nov. 28th as the Wildcats suffered a 29-20 loss at Michigan State.

Northwestern’s game planned for last Saturday vs. Minnesota was cancelled. The Wildcats are scheduled to play at Illinois this week and could have one more game on December 19th, but that has not been scheduled at this time.

Auburn is 5-4 going into its final game of the regular season at Mississippi State, a contest originally scheduled to be played on November 14th. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. CST from Starkville with television coverage on the SEC Network.

10001993.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off Freshman running back Tank Bigsby leads Auburn in rushing 642 yards heading into game ten, a road trip to Mississippi State. (Photo: Jason Caldwell, Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Palm is predicting Alabama will be the No. 1 seed for the College Football Playoff and will match up vs. No. 4 seed Notre Dame with No. 2 seed Clemson facing No. 3 seed Ohio State.

Other projected matchups for SEC football teams include:

*Texas A&M vs. Miami in the Orange Bowl

*Florida vs. Cincinnati in the Peach Bowl

*Georgia vs. Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl

*Iowa vs. Ole Miss in the Music City Bowl

*UCLA vs. Mississippi State in the Armed Services Bowl

*West Virginia vs. Kentucky in the Liberty Bowl

*Texas vs. Arkansas in the Texas Bowl

*Tennessee vs. UAB in the Birmingham Bowl

*Wake Forest vs. LSU in the Gator Bowl

*Maryland vs. Missouri in the Outback Bowl

Complete CBS Bowl Projections From Jerry Palm

If it is Northwestern someone please tell Brainy Smurf that you have the fastest man in college football and have him run deep routes all damn day against a much slower, more powerful team. Utilize him just once before he leaves you stupid moron.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If it is Northwestern someone please tell Brainy Smurf that you have the fastest man in college football and have him run deep routes all damn day against a much slower, more powerful team. Utilize him just once before he leaves you stupid moron.

The Purdue game plan

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

Northwestern deserves better

They're 3 losses shy of being a solid team. 

6 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Will Auburn be bowl eligible at 5-5?

Very eligible at 6-4. The Citrus is a good bowl game, good place to go on a vacation too. I give it a :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Wishful thinking; I wonder who will be coaching the bowl game?

“Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss”  The Who

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Very eligible at 6-4. The Citrus is a good bowl game, good place to go on a vacation too. I give it a :thumbsup:

I used to live 30 miles from there. If I still did I wouldn't drive half an hour just to watch the 7 million dollar mistake pick his nose in Orlando. 

6 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I'm already concerned about guys opting out.  If this is the bowl game, that number goes up.

I'd be surprised if most bowl games even happen

13 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I used to live 30 miles from there. If I still did I wouldn't drive half an hour just to watch the 7 million dollar mistake pick his nose in Orlando. 

That is, of course, your loss.

My first response was "not again" but last time we played them it was a good game in a year when we were also, er, underachieving. Wildcats claim to fame this year is beating Michigan State, which has since been clobbered by some average teams. 

Trivia question: what is Northwestern's football claim to fame? (Hint, they use it as a cheer). Right, "the Gipper" (legendary Notre Dame player George Gipp - played by Ronald Reagan) caught pneumonia playing against Northwestern and died shortly thereafter. Rockne did his "win one for the gipper" speach. I went to a Northwestern vs Ohio State game where Wildcat fans (losing, like, 40-0) chanted "we killed the gipper, we killed the gipper".😳🤣

17 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
247sports.com

New CBS bowl projections forecast Auburn vs. Northwestern

Until next week, then it'll be the Shinola $hit Bowl against UTEP in Del Rio

Quite possibly the worst bowl possible. They are just good enough that if we aren't motivated, we lose. If we win, No one cares because we are supposed to win. 

If we get Indiana and win, at least we can say we are 2nd best in the Big 10. 

Beating Northwestern means literally nothing. 

Please, for once, can we have a team we haven't played before? Or at least a half way decent matchup. Even the years we have a good season we get one of the worst bowl matchups. 

16 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Will Auburn be bowl eligible at 5-5?

Our defense will be able to stop the air raid with zero threat of the run, the only way we lose to Miss State is if the players have completely quit on Gus and don't even try to win. Score will be low though, something like 21-10 or 17-7. 

Archived