#PMARSHONAU: Have Auburn, Malzahn reached a breaking point?

aubiefifty

26 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I take it that this article is a shot across the bow of the admin and power brokers who pull the strings at AU saying that something had to change or the purse strings that AU depends on may get a lot tighter.

You may well be correct.  I have noticed over the years that journalists, sports casters, etc. tend to become more visibly negative about a coach when it appears that a change may be coming in the near future.  IOW they become more likely to burn bridges because the coach appears to be on the way out. 

If he’s asking the question you probably know the answer 

5 hours ago, woodford said:

"Malzahn has faced a massively difficult challenge at Auburn. He has played more regular-season games against No. 1 teams and against top-5 teams than anybody in college football. He arrived as head coach just as Nick Saban was hitting his stride at Alabama. Soon, Kirby Smart was winning big at Georgia, LSU was winning a national championship,"

And no one like to remind us more than CGM. He even mentioned it yesterday in the post game presser. You play success programs year in and year out? No s***, you're at Auburn. That's a given. You don't have to remind people.

This mentality about our rivals always irks the crap out of me.  Yes, there’s epic competition on our schedule every season but none of this happens in a vacuum.  It’s not like the rise of UGA or LSU couldn’t be Auburn.   It’s as if AU is totally at the mercy of our rivals and can only hope and pray they’re not good so we can have a chance.   Such a loser mentality.  We need a coach with a Dye mentality where our goal is to impose OUR will on our rivals - on the field and in recruiting.  AU is a tough job, no doubt, but we’ve shown we can win at the highest level.   Either one of the Saban guys (Cristobal or Napier) or Freeze should be the next coach IMO.  

Agree 100%. Also the suggestion by some people that Auburn should only expect to be competitive every few years is ridiculous. Such a loser mentality.

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

This mentality about our rivals always irks the crap out of me.  Yes, there’s epic competition on our schedule every season but none of this happens in a vacuum.  It’s not like the rise of UGA or LSU couldn’t be Auburn.   It’s as if AU is totally at the mercy of our rivals and can only hope and pray they’re not good so we can have a chance.   Such a loser mentality.  We need a coach with a Dye mentality where our goal is to impose OUR will on our rivals - on the field and in recruiting.  AU is a tough job, no doubt, but we’ve shown we can win at the highest level.   Either one of the Saban guys (Cristobal or Napier) or Freeze should be the next coach IMO.  

9 hours ago, twilli13 said:

To me the time to make the change is whenever a really quality candidate lines up that we believe checks all the boxes. We need people who actually understand the modern day landscape of college football to make the decision, not our damn administration and not a damn search committee. Due to the insane buyouts these days (which have completely screwed coaches accountability and schools ability to make continual program improvements) we cannot cannot CANNOTT get this one wrong if we fire Gus. I definitely want him gone...but we cant fire him and then go hire some other spread 'genius' or ole Joe Bob over at UAB because hes an 'up and comer' or some flavor of the month who took a s*** program and had one good season so  hes garnering coach of the year nominations. We need a proven winner with a track record of exceptional recruiting and an understanding of how to hire a staff who can coherently and efficiently implement a modern day offense and defense with few fundamental weaknesses and the ability adapt to changing trends. 

What method do you suggest that will guarantee getting this one right? I don't disagree with your assessment of the type coach we'd need to hire, I just don't know how a disaster can be avoided with any certainty. How do you identify that "can't miss" individual?

Archived